• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is on medication for depression or anxiety or has a mental health diagnosis as being mentally unstable?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I'm just curious. I personally am not but I do have a lot of knowledge and experience regarding mental health issues since my mother and my youngest brother were or are both seriously mentally ill.
That must have been very difficult. I'm sorry.

I do not have the issues mentioned. On the other hand,
  • my mother began exhibiting a good deal of paranoia during the final stages of brain cancer, and
  • we recently lost a grandchild to alcohol abuse.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Currently I take an anxiety/depression med. And that's at a low dose.

I've been on ssri's, snri's, and mood stabilizers in the past, based on life circumstances

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
Im on Zoloft and latuda for mood issues, testosterone for gender dysphoria, and melatonin for sleep. My psychiatrist wanted to put me on meds for nightmares but i refused.
I figured I'd add why I refused the nightmare meds

Growing up since I was 5 I've been on meds. Different kinds over the years, different therapies, some good some bad, and maybe even some I didn't even need. Im ok with meds when I need them and therapy as well I do go to therapy and I do got meds I take now. But im tired of meds all the time and worry about the affects of adding a new med. So while im not against going on meds for nightmares I want to try other ways of dealing with them first. Might take years tho. So far ive figured out ways to manage them in calming down at night and such. The theory the professionals have is that due to my trauma history my brain don't feel safe letting it's guard down so it sends nightmares to wake me up in order to protect me. So I've been trying to work on ways to convince my subconscious it's safe to sleep.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I was on antidepressants for the better part of nine years. I took my last pill in early 2023. Since then, I have been doing much better thanks to DBT, especially mindfulness practice, in addition to meditation—both of which my psychiatrist has encouraged and expanded my usage of. He's an excellent, highly knowledgeable doctor who keenly listens to his patients, and he has been an integral part of my medical progress.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm still on anxiety meds from the days when I taught. I burned out from teaching and was on long term leave for 3 years. I retired 15 years ago, but found out there can be severe withdrawal symptoms from the meds, so I'm on the lowest dose possible now to prevent that, and I don't care, at my age. Looking back, I believe those meds saved my career at the time.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I'm just curious. I personally am not but I do have a lot of knowledge and experience regarding mental health issues since my mother and my youngest brother were or are both seriously mentally ill.
If you don't have mental problems, then why are you here? (jk)

I'm early retired because of recurring phases of depression. I'm on the lowest possible dose of Citalopram at the moment, and I could do without. The problem is, that SSIR only start working after two or three weeks. By keeping a low level in my blood, it is no problem to increase the doses when a more severe episode hits. (Found that out by experience.)

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
That must have been very difficult. I'm sorry.

I do not have the issues mentioned. On the other hand,
  • my mother began exhibiting a good deal of paranoia during the final stages of brain cancer, and
  • we recently lost a grandchild to alcohol abuse.
It remains difficult since my brother is still alive and I am his only immediate family left. But thank you. He is about to really irritate me because he is off his meds, which are important in my opinion. You know, like meds for diabetes or high blood pressure, that sort of thing. He needs meds for his brain and isn't taking them, or is mixing them with drugs, I don't know, but he is not going to end up in a good place. He has already lost everything several times now.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Nothing for me, although I no longer think I'm bulletproof in terms of mental health.
Some things in my life help me proactively I would say. Most particularly sport (particularly team sport and coaching) and music.

My wife has long struggled with low level anxiety and similar issues and is now (quite recently) on a mild anti-anxiety drug. It's not strong, but it's made a massive positive difference.