• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who observes, that the brain observes ?

chinu

chinu
There's a general claim that its the brain who observes all the activities done by that human body. Fine.

If so, then at the very same moment who/what observes, that the brain observes ?

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
There's a general claim that its the brain who observes all the activities done by that human body. Fine.

If so, then at the very same moment who observes, that the brain observes ?

Sounds like a "must be" fallacy, I'll call it. The brain doesn't observe it's the seat and control. We think the mind observes but it's just a result of the brains picking up on external and internal sensors and using language to interpret. All from the brain.

But how did you get a "who" though? Why not what?

chinu

chinu
Sounds like a "must be" fallacy, I'll call it. The brain doesn't observe it's the seat and control. We think the mind observes but it's just a result of the brains picking up on external and internal sensors and using language to interpret. All from the brain.
Interpret whom, or what ?

But how did you get a "who" though? Why not what?
I missed to write this option.

stvdv

Veteran Member

If so, then at the very same moment who/what observes, that the brain observes ?
I observe that "my" brain observes "my" activities

Howard Is

Lucky Mud

Speaking as a non-dualist, I would say that ‘the brain’ and ‘observation’ are two ways of referring to the same thing.

This is obvious to anyone who has been anaesthetised.

If there is a spiritual identity beyond the brain, it ceases to know itself when the brain is shut down.

There is no yogi who can remain in a state of ‘higher consciousness’ when anaesthetised, based on my experience, and based on zero reports of such an experience. With the exception of ketamine, which leaves the deep lizard brain active. Which, btw, seems transcendental...

So, it makes no difference whether you attribute consciousness to brain activity or spirit ... no brain activity equals no awareness of any kind.

Meaning that that if there is a ‘supernatural’ spiritual basis to our existence, it relies on a brain to know anything at all.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Did you know that not everyone is capable of having inner dialogue?

People Have Discovered That Not Everyone Has an Inner Monologue and It Has Sparked a Dialogue Online

Not everyone is capable of introspection. Not everyone is capable of imagination. Not everyone is capable of mental visualization.

Otherwise, a normal mind is capable of all of these things. People who are able to have the ability to that have inner dialogue are able to bounce ideas off of their own brain, and are able to understand internally when their body acts in a certain way. It's just the way we are wired (for the most part) as human beings. :)

For those who don't have inner dialogue, it's all just intuitive.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
There's no awareness without conciousness, except maybe lucid dreaming?
Unless you're talking about brian death/vegetative state.

Do you have evidence that consciousness is inherent in all senses and cellular/neural communications?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Speaking as a non-dualist, I would say that ‘the brain’ and ‘observation’ are two ways of referring to the same thing.

This is obvious to anyone who has been anaesthetised.

If there is a spiritual identity beyond the brain, it ceases to know itself when the brain is shut down.

There is no yogi who can remain in a state of ‘higher consciousness’ when anaesthetised, based on my experience, and based on zero reports of such an experience. With the exception of ketamine, which leaves the deep lizard brain active. Which, btw, seems transcendental...

So, it makes no difference whether you attribute consciousness to brain activity or spirit ... no brain activity equals no awareness of any kind.

Meaning that that if there is a ‘supernatural’ spiritual basis to our existence, it relies on a brain to know anything at all.

Brain activity, when anesthetized, is similar to that of deep sleep. I've experienced both.

As I see it, these states are an experience of absence, not an absence of experience. There is still an underlying consciousness that is constant.