• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who observes, that the brain observes ?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Brain activity, when anesthetized, is similar to that of deep sleep. I've experienced both.

As I see it, these states are an experience of absence, not an absence of experience. There is still an underlying consciousness that is constant.

My 'experience' has been the opposite. When I am asleep or anesthetized, there is no experience at all.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Can you please elaborate?

The brain is not a uniform structure. It has various parts devoted to different types of information and conduit circuitry to carry the results to other parts of the brain. Those feedback circuits, where information goes out from one part, gets processed, and then returns for ore processing is how the brain is aware of itself. it keeps itself updated on the state of all of its subsystems.

I believe it is a mistake to think of the 'self' as a monolithic entity: in fact, it is a bunch of competing subsystems, each concerned with some aspects of things (visual, aural, planning, etc) and each sharing its information with the rest (some more directly than others).

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
The brain is not a uniform structure. It has various parts devoted to different types of information and conduit circuitry to carry the results to other parts of the brain. Those feedback circuits, where information goes out from one part, gets processed, and then returns for ore processing is how the brain is aware of itself. it keeps itself updated on the state of all of its subsystems.

You became aware of all this simply by your brain observing the brain?

Without the senses, how would the brain know about the brain's structure? How would the brain know about the brain's feedback circuits?

My point is that the brain alone cannot be aware of itself, as was alluded to back on the first page.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
No. The brain is aware of what it can detect through the senses, and much of the self it can detect through these senses. I can touch my face, my legs, my head, etc.

Through these senses, it cannot be aware of itself. I'm not understanding how you're concluding that the brain is aware of itself.

Because the different parts of the brain send information to other parts of the brain. There is input, processing, memory, feedback, and output (signals for speech, movement, etc). But the information processed by the visual system is shared with the part that plans activities, and is put into memory by the memory subsystem, which is linked to the emotional processing systems, etc. They are all massively interconnected.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
You became aware of all this simply by your brain observing the brain?

Without the senses, how would the brain know about the brain's structure? How would the brain know about the brain's feedback circuits?

My point is that the brain alone cannot be aware of itself, as was alluded to back on the first page.

Different aspects: the different parts of the brain are aware of the information processed in other parts of the brain.

Of course,we have learned about how the brain works by studying it, by testing, by observation, by operations, etc. That doesn't negate the information we have figured out about it.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Because the different parts of the brain send information to other parts of the brain. There is input, processing, memory, feedback, and output (signals for speech, movement, etc). But the information processed by the visual system is shared with the part that plans activities, and is put into memory by the memory subsystem, which is linked to the emotional processing systems, etc. They are all massively interconnected.

The brain is aware of the information it receives. It is not aware of the brain itself.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The brain is aware of the information it receives. It is not aware of the brain itself.

it is aware of the information processed by the other parts of the brain. That is all that is required for consciousness. Not the awareness of the nerves themselves.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Different aspects: the different parts of the brain are aware of the information processed in other parts of the brain.

Of course,we have learned about how the brain works by studying it, by testing, by observation, by operations, etc. That doesn't negate the information we have figured out about it.

Precisely. What the brain knows about the brain it has experienced through the five senses. The brain alone cannot experience the brain. Just the information it has.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Precisely. What the brain knows about the brain it has experienced through the five senses. The brain alone cannot experience the brain. Just the information it has.

But consciousness is, I think, information processing. And it is the information from the different areas of the brain being shared that is, ultimately, what consciousness *is*.

Technical point: there are more than five senses. For example, proprioception, which is crucial for the feeling of 'embodiment'.