• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who voted for Bush

Booko

Deviled Hen
PureX said:
I'll continue to vote for third party candidates, hoping that some day my fellow citizens will wake up and see that the wealthy elite are calling the shots in both major parties, and the only way to counter them is by creating and supporting ligitimate third, forth, and fifth parties until we can finally get some real campaign finance reforms passed.

There's a growing interest in third-party candidates around here. Libertarian candidates do especially well, and draw old-fashioned conservative votes away, as well as some of the more liberal voters who object to gov't overreaching into private lives.

If things persist as they have, I suspect it will not be long until the Libertarian candidates break into politics on the level of the state legislature.

If so, that will shake up the apple cart a bit.

I don't think political parties of any sort are an answer, though, because they inherently divide people into camps. Personally, I'd rather see political parties of any sort banned outright. Well, I won't be holding my breath waiting for that day, though, as I am not silly enough to expect it to happen in my lifetime.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Booko said:
I remember years ago, when Reagan ran the first time, and some guys I know put up this poster they'd made that said "Make America Fun Again!" Everyone thought they were joking, and then discovered they were serious.

But you know, with the Nuge in the White House, that would fly for a campaign poster, eh?
A few years ago if someone had suggested Ted Nugent as president, I would have said that if such a thing ever happened I would be moving to Canada, because I can't imagine someone less qualified, and I can't imagine my fellow citizens voting for someone so unqualified in large numbers. Now I'm thinking, well... can it get any worse?

Seriously, what does the Nuge stand for other than the right to shoot things with various types of projectile objects?

PureX

Veteran Member
Booko said:
There's a growing interest in third-party candidates around here. Libertarian candidates do especially well, and draw old-fashioned conservative votes away, as well as some of the more liberal voters who object to gov't overreaching into private lives.

If things persist as they have, I suspect it will not be long until the Libertarian candidates break into politics on the level of the state legislature.

If so, that will shake up the apple cart a bit.

I don't think political parties of any sort are an answer, though, because they inherently divide people into camps. Personally, I'd rather see political parties of any sort banned outright. Well, I won't be holding my breath waiting for that day, though, as I am not silly enough to expect it to happen in my lifetime.
Unfortunately, in my state (Pennsylvania), both major party politicians are banding together to force third party candidates off the ballot, and have been doing so for years.

Ciscokid

Booko said:
We should hire Ted Nugent as a consultant on school safety...

(Now where did I put my bowstring wax? I must prepare!)

Exactly, my man does NOT screw around :cool:

Booko

Deviled Hen
PureX said:
Unfortunately, in my state (Pennsylvania), both major party politicians are banding together to force third party candidates off the ballot, and have been doing so for years.

Oh, they've been doing that in Georgia too, but with less success, especially at the local levels. There are so many people so ****** that it isn't hard to get petitions signed by people of any political stripe.

I don't recall a time when pretty much everyone was fed up all around, and angry with the entire situation as opposed to particular parties, candidates or policies.

lizskid

BANNED
Vote for Bush? Not in this lifetime or any other. First of all, I didn't feel he had the qualifications. Other things that bothered me were: I really wasn't sure he was too bright, arrogance (I laughed when someone said earlier he wasn't), having to stop midsentence to gather his thoughts or read the prompter wasn't too encouraging to me. However, I will give you all that neither party has had a leader of true quality in a long time...we are missing that in America, true leaders. I was also interested in a candidate that wanted to protect people's rights in America, not limit them.

Let's nominate Sunstone!!!!!

jonny

spacemonkey said:
We need the person who is most QUALIFIED TO LEAD A COUNTRY, not the person you'ld invite over for dinner. If you don't agree with anything he's done and you voted for him ANYWAYS....its probably best I say no more....:areyoucra
I guess that begs the question...what qualifies someone to lead a country? Leadership has a lot to do with the ability of the leader to motivate people to follow. There's no way in hell that I'm going to follow a leader WHO I CAN'T STAND.

By the way, I'm not trying to insult your ability to read, but when did I say that I don't agree with anything he's done. I agree with a lot that he's done. I don't agree with everything he's done. I don't drink the republican kool aid...do you drink the libertarian's?

jonny

standing_alone said:
Because that's a great reason to vote for someone! Don't be bothered by what the issues are or who's more qualified. Vote for someone based solely on looks and mannerisms that appeal to you! :rolleyes:

Sorry. Just hate it when people vote for politicians based on superficial nonesense instead of issues and qualification.

I understand the issues better than you probably realize. I'm just smart enough to realize that all politicians are pretty much the same with a different letter after their name (in the Republican & Democratic parties anyway...voting for any other party doesn't do any good). None of them are as moderate socially as I am or as convervative economically as I am; therefore, I vote for the person who I want to see in office.

The importance people place on issues usually comes down to one or two issues that are extremely important to them...gay rights, abortion, etc. Most people can't name where politicians stand on most issues, only where they expect that the party stands. We could play a game...tell me, without looking, what John Kerry or Al Gore wanted to do in terms of education, taxes, foreign policy, land rights, etc. The responses would be vague at best.

lunamoth

Will to love
shaktinah said:
Just a note to DG, luna, and CX: I am an unabashed liberal. I like things like social security, unemployment & welfare (and no, I've never used either one), and am in favor of universal health care. In that sense, I am in favor of govt "interfering" in our lives.

doppelganger said:
And when I use that term I mean that I think government should limit its intrusion into people's lives to those things necessary to protect the rights of the people and those things the free market is ill-equipped to handle such as national security, environmental protection, workers' and childrens' rights, public education, and aid to the poor.

I think dg above makes allowance for helping the poor, widows and orphans shakti. In this sense I very much agree with his 'conservative' values. I think the labels conservative and liberal are not very useful these days; they tend to increase the polarization I blame for a lot of the mess we seem to be in. I register independent, but I'm not totally happy about that because it means I lose my voice in the primaries, although I'm not sure that matters a whole lot. :( I wouldn't mind the lack of distinction between the parties if either one of them could come up with a candidate with some integrity, intelligence and compassion.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
jonny said:
I couldn't stand listening to Al Gore talk and he looked like plastic. Come on, a guy who wears that much make up should be on a stage in Las Vegas - not the White House. He still annoys me when I see him. John Kerry was way too arrogant and don't get me started on his wife. John Edwards didn't help either (again...he seems to have the same annoying accent that Gore has).
I didn't catch this the first time around until I saw Booko's post. Would you really hold a person's accent against them? Is that a valid reason to not vote for a candidate? :sheep:

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
jonny said:
I couldn't stand listening to Al Gore talk and he looked like plastic.
It's great to know that your decision was based on aesthetics rather than on substance. You weren't the only one to subject all of America to the worst president we have ever had.

Obviously, I have opposed Shrub from the onset. However, I thought his dad was fine, and I might even be convinced to vote for his brother, Jeb. Shrub is as morally bankrupt as he is stupid.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror." --George W. Bush, interview with CBS News' Katie Couric, Sept. 6, 2006

"That's George Washington, the first president, of course. The interesting thing about him is that I read three—three or four books about him last year. Isn't that interesting?"—Showing German newspaper reporter Kai Diekmann the Oval Office, Washington, D.C., May 5, 2006

"I'm the decider, and I decide what is best. And what's best is for Don Rumsfeld to remain as the secretary of defense."—Washington, D.C., April 18, 2006

"I like my buddies from west Texas. I liked them when I was young, I liked them then I was middle-age, I liked them before I was president, and I like them during president, and I like them after president."—Nashville, Tenn., Feb. 1, 2006

"He was a state sponsor of terror. In other words, the government had declared, you are a state sponsor of terror."—On Saddam Hussein, Manhattan, Kan., Jan. 23, 2006

jonny

shaktinah said:
Yeah, I don't understand that one at all. People seem to want their president to be "one of the boys," and they seem to automatically associate intellect with snobbery. I want a president who is smarter than the average bear. I want the best qualified person for the job. You wouldn't hire a mechanic who is unqualified to fix your car just because you'd like to have a round of beers with him. You wouldn't choose your doctor that way either. Why in the world do we choose our presidents - the person who has the greatest impact on our future as a country - that way?

Is Clinton remembered for his intellect, or his ability to relate to the American people? Democrats parade Clinton as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Why the change of heart now?

Again, I ask "what qualifies someone to lead our country?" Intellectualism doesn't equal leadership. That's why the people in school getting the C's usually end up being the bosses of the people getting straight A's.

jonny

shaktinah said:
I didn't catch this the first time around until I saw Booko's post. Would you really hold a person's accent against them? Is that a valid reason to not vote for a candidate? :sheep:

About as valid as making a judgment on the intelligence of someone you've never had a conversation with. I'm willing to bet that the way Bush speaks has a lot to do with people's judgements on his intelligence...

Didn't we learn about the importance of public perception from the JFK - Nixon TV debate? Likability is an important point if you want to get elected.

Booko

Deviled Hen
jonny said:
Is Clinton remembered for his intellect, or his ability to relate to the American people? Democrats parade Clinton as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Why the change of heart now?

Um, yes, actually Clinton is remembered for his intellect.

(btw, I can't stress enough I am a member of no political party, now will I ever be. But you asked an historical question.)

Again, I ask "what qualifies someone to lead our country?" Intellectualism doesn't equal leadership. That's why the people in school getting the C's usually end up being the bosses of the people getting straight A's.

I'd be interested to see your source of evidence for this assertion.