• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Was Baha’u’llah, and How Can We Evaluate His Claims?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Which are the scriptures/religions that have been "corrupted"?
The other thing I get from Baha'is is that some things in the Bible and NT were meant to be taken "symbolically" but the fools, for some reason, took them literally. Like when God spoke from heaven or parted the seas. He did do those things, according to what some Baha'is have told me, just not literally. God inspired the writers to write metaphors and parables. And that includes things in the NT. Like the resurrection of Jesus. Here is Abdul Baha' on the resurrection.
Question.—What is the meaning of Christ’s resurrection after three days?
Answer.—The resurrections of the Divine Manifestations are not of the body. All Their states, Their conditions, Their acts, the things They have established, Their teachings, Their expressions, Their parables and Their instructions have a spiritual and divine signification, and have no connection with material things...

Therefore, we say that the meaning of Christ’s resurrection is as follows: the disciples were troubled and agitated after the martyrdom of Christ. The Reality of Christ, which signifies His teachings, His bounties, His perfections and His spiritual power, was hidden and concealed for two or three days after His martyrdom, and was not resplendent and manifest. No, rather it was lost, for the believers were few in number and were troubled and agitated. The Cause of Christ was like a lifeless body; and when after three days the disciples became assured and steadfast, and began to serve the Cause of Christ, and resolved to spread the divine teachings, putting His counsels into practice, and arising to serve Him, the Reality of Christ became resplendent and His bounty appeared; His religion found life; His teachings and His admonitions became evident and visible. In other words, the Cause of Christ was like a lifeless body until the life and the bounty of the Holy Spirit surrounded it.
Such is the meaning of the resurrection of Christ, and this was a true resurrection.
I, of course, have a different interpretation. If the resurrection of Jesus did not literally happen, then the writers made it up or they based the resurrection on legends and traditions that had developed.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
The wildly different messages of different religions over time and place are evidence for religions being cultural inventions, not evidence for all being the same message from one true god.
It is bewildering that you can claim otherwise.

Question begging.
How do you know they weren't revealed by a messenger of god?
Here's what I found on the Polynesian religion. It mentions they had "Heroes" which could have been like David and Samson of the Bible. But they also had "Demigods", which were half man half God. But I'd suspect the real revealers in many religions were just people making up myths and legends and Gods.

Polynesian religion and mythology placed great emphasis on nature, particularly the ocean environment. The Polynesians became masters of navigation and other seafaring skills, and their religion and myths strongly reflected the importance of nature and the sea. Polynesians believed that all things in nature, including humans, contained a sacred and supernatural power called mana. Mana could be good or evil, and individuals, animals, and objects contained varying amounts of mana.​

Because mana was sacred, Polynesians invented complicated rules to protect it. Ordinary people were not allowed, for example, to touch even the shadow of a great chief. Nor could they step inside sacred groves or temples. The punishment for breaking important rules, known as tapus (the source of the word taboo), was often death. Illness and misfortune were believed to come from breaking minor tapus.

The Polynesians' religion included many gods, local deities as well as the great gods of their pantheon. The people felt a close personal connection to their deities and to various heroes, demigods, and tricksters of their mythology. The most popular character was Maui, a hero-trickster well known throughout Polynesia.

Worship of the gods involved chants and prayers, elaborate rituals, and sacrifices (including human sacrifice) performed by various classes of priests, some of whom acted as oracles. Magic also flourished among the Polynesians, who used incantations, charms, and spells to summon the gods or ask for their guidance or assistance.

If Baha'is are going to say that the other religions were "symbolically" true, then why not the Polynesians also? All ancient religions had their myths of heroes, prophets and Gods. Did Jonah really get swallowed by a big fish? Did Elijah really get carried off into the sky in a fiery chariot? Did Hanuman, a leader in Lord Rama's army, really jump from the mainland India to Sri Lanka? Did people really come out of their graves in Jerusalem when Jesus got crucified?

I don't think so. I think people just embellished stories with supernatural things to show how powerful their Gods were. But, if it didn't really happen, if it's just make-believe, then how powerful are their Gods? And, if the stories about those Gods are fictional, then why not their Gods also? And even Baha'is probably believe that some of these concepts of God are fictional. But, of course, not their God. He's real.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
ok. So the contradictions are only through corrupted scripture of true religions, and false religions.

1. Which are the scriptures/religions that have been "corrupted"?
2. Which are the "false" religions?
'Apparent contradictions' are because of corrupted scripture of true religions, and because of false religions.

All the older religions/scriptures have been corrupted to varying degrees.
The false religions are any religions that were not revealed by a Messenger of God.
The wildly different messages of different religions over time and place are evidence for religions being cultural inventions, not evidence for all being the same message from one true god.

It is bewildering that you can claim otherwise.
The wildly different beliefs of different religions over time and place are evidence for those religions being cultural inventions, not messages from the one true God, since those so-called religions are not based upon a revelation from God.
Question begging.

How do you know they weren't revealed by a messenger of god?
I don't know, because religion is not something we can know. I only have beliefs.
Because that is a Baha'i belief.
So if it has no messenger, how can it be a true religion?
Krishna was its Messenger.
Why did the first messengers from one god reveal polytheism?
I can only guess what happened, I cannot know.

Imo, it is one of threes things.

(1) the scriptures are inaccurate since they were not written by the Messenger and they were just men's understanding of what the Messenger taught, written down long after the Messenger lived, or
(2) the scriptures revealed one God but the scriptures were misinterpreted to mean more than one God, or
(3) the scriptures actually revealed more than one God since that was all people were ready to understand at the time of revelation.
I said: "That is why Baha'u'llah enjoined us to look at God's Manifestation for this age, which is Baha'u'llah." The fact that Baha'u'llah enjoined us to look at Him does not equate to "Baha'u'llah was a Messenger because He said so."
That is precisely what it equates to!

You really need to try and understand the implications of the platitudes you are repeating. You said...[/QUOTE]
It absolutely is not what it equates to!
You really need to try to understand that there are two statements there and they are unrelated.

(1) Baha'u'llah enjoined us to look at Him because He is the Messenger for this age.
That was a claim.
(2) Baha'u'llah was not a Messenger 'because He said so', because a claim does not make Him a Messenger.

He was either a Messenger or He was not, and everyone who wants to know has to look at the evidence and decide yes or no for themselves.
And whenever I ask for this "evidence", you merely repeat "his life, his character, etc..." and the suchlike. Nothing that constitutes actual evidence.
All of that is the evidence that Bahaullah enjoined us to look at, the evidence that supports the truth of his claim.

What actual evidence would you expect to have if He was really a Messenger of God? There is other evidence such as the miracles He performed, the prophecies were fulfilled by Him, and the predictions He made that came true. But if you are looking for proof there is no proof, only evidence. Evidence is not proof. Nobody can ever prove that a Messenger received communication from God, except to themselves.
You claim that certain religions are false. The argument you provide is that they were not revealed by "messengers of god". Seemingly the only basis for this claim is that their "message" is substantially different from what you are happy to accept.

The basis for my 'belief' that those religions are false is they were not revealed by "Messengers of God." I do not believe that because their "message" is substantially different from what I am happy to accept. I believe that because I have no reason to believe that they were revealed by a Messenger of God.

Feel free to correct me and explain why you claim that Mesoamerican or Norse religions had no messenger, while Hinduism did.
I believe that because it is a Baha'i teaching that Hinduism is a true religion of God, which means it had to have been established by God in some way. On the other hand, it is not so cut-and-dry that all religions were established by the universal Manifestations, because a Baha'i teaching that there were Prophets who were sent to all nations, and they could have established religions that are true.

Question: How many kinds of divine Prophets are there?

Answer: There are three kinds of divine Prophets. One kind are the universal Manifestations, which are even as the sun. Through Their advent the world of existence is renewed, a new cycle is inaugurated, a new religion is revealed, souls are quickened to a new life, and East and West are flooded with light. These Souls are the universal Manifestations of God and have been sent forth to the entire world and the generality of mankind.

Another kind of Prophets are followers and promulgators, not leaders and law-givers, but they are nonetheless the recipients of the hidden inspirations of God. Yet another kind are Prophets Whose prophethood has been limited to a particular locality. But the universal Manifestations are all-encompassing: They are like the root, and all others are as the branches; they are like the sun, and all others are as the moon and the stars.

Twelve table talks given by ‘Abdu’l-Bahá in ‘Akká
The Three Kinds of Prophets

(Continued on post below)

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
As time as gone on, Baha'is have been increasingly encouraged to interact with the wider society, to help bring about meaningful change. Some Baha'is are doing that. I'm just starting to do that myself. In the new nine year plan, it is emphasized that we engage in the discourses of society. We would like to have more Baha'is, but it is just as important, and more so probably, that we spread the spiritual aspects of our teachings, and the social aspects of our teachings and influence people we interact with, and learn from the people people of other faith traditions, to be friends with them. Thanks, Susan, also known as @Trailblazer for alerting me to this conversation.
In the 70's and 80's, my Baha'i friends were involved in an interfaith group, mostly made up of Christian sects and denominations, they also went to New-Age religious groups too, along with peace groups. The focus was not about the Baha'i Faith but finding those things that all of them had in common.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You still haven't provided any evidence or argument to show that religions have been "corrupted by man" from the original message.
I already told you it is not my job to provide such evidence. If you want to know how they have been corrupted you would have to do your own research.
Why didn't god instruct the other messengers to put such protections in place? Given his omnipotence and omniscient it suggests he wanted them to be corrupted.
That is a good question. God did not do that because the people living in the past were not spiritually advanced enough to keep a Covenant with the Messenger. That does not mean God wanted those religions to become corrupted, only that God allowed that to take place, since man allows free will.

This corruption was all part of God's plan, otherwise it would not have taken place. Since God is omniscient God knew that He would be sending Baha'u'llah in the future to explain all of this to people who are willing to listen. So far that has been very few people but it is still early in this revelation. More will follow in time.
There was massive conversion to Christianity around the world over 1000 years after it was established.

Similarly, Islam gained many new members several centuries after Muhammad.

We don't see mass cultural conversions today because the days of colonialism and empire are over. However, the fall of communism saw large numbers of conversions to both Christianity and Islam (depending on the region).
All that is true. All I was trying to say is that individuals 'generally' stay with the religions they were raised in.
And presumably you accept this applies to your beliefs just as much as it applies to yours?
I think I have already admitted that.
As does theirs. So why is yours different?
Not always, because many people just believe without doing an investigation. Some believe unquestioningly because they were raised in the religion and others come to believe later in life, but not necessarily because they did an investigation. Have you never heard of 'born again' Christians? I know two such men who came to believe in Jesus in middle age because of a few verses from the Bible.

But even if they did an investigation they came to different conclusions because they are different from me and other Baha'is, since they had a different upbringing and education and life experiences.
Two problems immediately.

1. Question begging - that there is "a path of faith", or that faith is better than reason.
2. "Certitude" is both impractical and unwise. Absolute certainly precludes considering alternatives. It shuts down enquiry and exploration. This why science never claims absolute certainty, only the best current explanation. We must always accept the possibility of new information that could change our position.
Three problems immediately.

1. You quoted that passage out of context.
2. Faith does not have to preclude reason, both should be employed.
3. Who said anything about absolute certainty? Maybe some Baha'is are absolutely certain but that does not mean they all are. But even for those like me who are absolutely certain, absolute certainly precludes considering alternatives. Baha'is believe that a person should always keep their mind open and continue to search for truth all their lives, so if I found something that caused me to lose my belief in Baha'u'llah I would have to consider the alternatives.
Your man seems to be telling you to not question the "god explanation", and ignore any alternative presented.
Of course He is telling us that, because the 'assumption' is that He is addressing people who are seeking the truth about God (as otherwise they would not be reading The Kitab-i-Iqan).
That is the opposite of "doing your own investigation". It is telling you to ignore anything that suggests an explanation other than god.
The passage is not telling you to ignore anything that suggests an explanation other than God. That is not the purpose of the passage. Again, the assumption in the passage is that it is being read by someone who is seeking the truth about God, and the passage is suggesting how to go about that seeking.
The irony of you presenting such a passage as evidence that you have considered all possible explanations is off the scale.
The irony is that you think that I presented the passage as evidence that I have considered all possible explanations and that has nothing to do with the reason I presented the passage.

I clearly explained why I presented that passage.

What it essentially says in bold italics at the end is that we will never discover the truth for ourselves if we use the words and deeds of other people as a standard by which to understand God and His Prophets. In other words, we cannot measure truth according to what other people say, think or do. We have to investigate the truth for ourselves.

The point is that we have to investigate the Messenger by ourselves and not make our decision as to what to believe about Him by listening to what 'other people' say,think or do.
So essentially "we will never discover the truth for ourselves if we undertake objective research. We must only accept what the messenger tells us".
I am sorry you still do not understand what I have been saying although I have repeated myself over and over and over again. You either have a reading comprehension problem or a bias that is impossible to overcome.

Baha'u'llah did not enjoin us to blindly accept what He told us, quite the contrary! Why do you keep repeating this same old mantra? You should undertake research and not just believe what Baha'u'llah claimed.

"Bahá’u’lláh asked no one to accept His statements and His tokens blindly. On the contrary, He put in the very forefront of His teachings emphatic warnings against blind acceptance of authority, and urged all to open their eyes and ears, and use their own judgement, independently and fearlessly, in order to ascertain the truth. He enjoined the fullest investigation and never concealed Himself, offering, as the supreme proofs of His Prophethood, His words and works and their effects in transforming the lives and characters of men......

In the chapters that follow, we shall endeavor to show whether Bahá’u’lláh’s claim to Prophethood stands or falls by application of these tests: whether the things that He had spoken have followed and come to pass, and whether His fruits have been good or evil; in other words, whether His prophecies are being fulfilled and His ordinances established, and whether His lifework has contributed to the education and upliftment of humanity and the betterment of morals, or the contrary." Proofs of Prophethood, Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era, pp. 8-9
But how can you investigate something without referring to what others have said and done?

Also, loving the irony of the "We must't follow what others say - Bahaullah said so"!
clip_image001.png
That means we should not believe what other people say about Baha'u'llah, what He has said and done, but rather we should investigate what He has said and done for ourselves. It means that we should investigate what Baha'u'llah has said and done. The 'others' that we should refer to are those who know what Baha'u'llah has said and done.
What you actually mean is that you converted to Bahaiism and ever since then all your "investigations" have been subject to confirmation bias and other forms of cognitive dissonance - as illustrated by your inability to provide any evidence that any god actually exists, never mind that there were ever any actual "messengers".
I said: "The way I know is that I have looked at the Baha'i Faith for over 51 years, so I have had plenty of time to investigate and confirm what I believed when I discovered the faith in 1970."

Then you twisted the meaning of what I said and created a straw man and threw in a red herring.

My "investigations" have not been subject to confirmation bias and other forms of cognitive dissonance. My inability to prove to you that God exists or that there are Messengers is unrelated to MY investigation of the Baha'i Faith and that is why it is a red herring.

I have provided the only evidence that God actually exists, the evidence that God provided, which is the Messengers of God.

TransmutingSoul

One Planet, One People, Please!
Premium Member
I agree that a personal view is not a proof of bad fruit. But the day of judgment and interpretation of Bahai faith, shows, Bahai faith by principle of 3:7 and other verses about hard hearts taking words of God out of their place, and all verses about how to approach the Quran and Sunnah, to be of evil fruit.

It relies on ambiguity and is condemned.

Day of judgment is clearly not what Bahai faith claims it is.

Quran 3.7

Sahih International
"It is He who has sent down to you, [O Muhammad], the Book; in it are verses [that are] precise - they are the foundation of the Book - and others unspecific. As for those in whose hearts is deviation [from truth], they will follow that of it which is unspecific, seeking discord and seeking an interpretation [suitable to them]. And no one knows its [true] interpretation except Allah . But those firm in knowledge say, "We believe in it. All [of it] is from our Lord." And no one will be reminded except those of understanding."

Thus since Baha'u'llah is a Messenger, then I see it shows my acceptance is most likely more then a personal.oponion.

Regards Tony

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Quran 3.7

Sahih International
"It is He who has sent down to you, [O Muhammad], the Book; in it are verses [that are] precise - they are the foundation of the Book - and others unspecific. As for those in whose hearts is deviation [from truth], they will follow that of it which is unspecific, seeking discord and seeking an interpretation [suitable to them]. And no one knows its [true] interpretation except Allah . But those firm in knowledge say, "We believe in it. All [of it] is from our Lord." And no one will be reminded except those of understanding."

Thus since Baha'u'llah is a Messenger, then I see it shows my acceptance is most likely more then a personal.oponion.

Regards Tony

That's circular reasoning you are using.

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
But it happens to be true and easily provable as well.

Well the Mullah in the time of Baha’u’llah could not prove it, so instead they broke their oaths in the Quran and also did what made the tears of Muhammad flow.

What magical proof now exists that did not then, but an opinion?

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
That's circular reasoning you are using.

The proof of Muhammad is the Quran, the Proof of the Bab and Baha'u'llah are what they receive and recorded from Allah.

The Baha'i writings will, logically then show a connection to and a fulment of the Quran

Regards Tony

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The proof of Muhammad is the Quran, the Proof of the Bab and Baha'u'llah are what they receive and recorded from Allah.

The Baha'i writings will, logically then show a connection to and a fulment of the Quran

Regards Tony

That would only be true if they were Prophets. However, a way to show they are not, is to show how clear day of judgment is in Quran.

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
So who influenced whom? I still wonder, but I'm sure you will still give credit to Baha'u'llah.

Actually that is a sound suggestion as I was reading last night it was actually the Glory of God that did send all.the Messengers.

The unity and oneness of the Messengers is astounding.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
That would only be true if they were Prophets. However, a way to show they are not, is to show how clear day of judgment is in Quran.

Then go your hardest to do just that.

Just remember the greatest of all Mullah have not been able to do that, and Baha'u'llah has triumphed over them, proved that He is indeed the 'Glory of God'. The day of judgement is upon us.

Allah does as Allah so wills.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
What is the day of Judgment in the Qur'an?

I have read many posts by Link on this topic and he is actually talking about the Revelations of the Bab and Baha'u'llah.

Yet has not seen them as he is in a different frame of reference.

Regards Tony

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What is the day of Judgment in the Qur'an?
There somethings to note about it.

It's a day the truth is so apparent, no one can deny it, and no one will.
It's a day disbelievers regret and repent and acknowledge the truth, but their repentance and regret won't be accepted. The Quran literally says they will believe but their faith won't benefit them.
People will either be looking towards their Lord for reward or punishment, paradise or hell will come to full reality on this day.
People will be asked about their sins but not in a way inquiring as to know, but rather, rhetorically and they won't be given chance to give excuses.
There is no way to take refuge in God's rope, if you did not take refuge in God's rope and won't benefit from intercession if didn't already seek the intercession of chosen ones.
People will ask to return as they are now certain, and they won't repeat sins. But God says you promised before the same thing (when his throne was on the waters before this world was created).

There's more details. But this is definitely not about a raising of a Warner who is not this day but rather warns about that day.

samtonga43

Why do you assume I don't know what they were?
I did not assume. Maybe re-read?
Paul neither corrupted Christianity, nor changed the original features. The opposite is the case.
I do not rely upon His words, I rely upon His fruits.
Fruits: the pleasant or successful result of work or actions: fruit
Fruits don't appear out of nowhere. Ultimately you rely on MrB's words -- the seeds which produced what is, to you, fruit.

But let's get back to my question. If you do know that Christian teaching has been corrupted, you must know from what original teaching it has been corrupted. Logic 101 :D

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
There somethings to note about it.

It's a day the truth is so apparent, no one can deny it, and no one will.
It's a day disbelievers regret and repent and acknowledge the truth, but their repentance and regret won't be accepted. The Quran literally says they will believe but their faith won't benefit them.
People will either be looking towards their Lord for reward or punishment, paradise or hell will come to full reality on this day.
People will be asked about their sins but not in a way inquiring as to know, but rather, rhetorically and they won't be given chance to give excuses.
There is no way to take refuge in God's rope, if you did not take refuge in God's rope and won't benefit from intercession if didn't already seek the intercession of chosen ones.
People will ask to return as they are now certain, and they won't repeat sins. But God says you promised before the same thing (when his throne was on the waters before this world was created).

There's more details. But this is definitely not about a raising of a Warner who is not this day but rather warns about that day.

The problem is Link that every Messenger brings the 'Day of God'. That also becomes the 'Judgement Day'.

There is much written to explain this now.

Peace be with you.

Regards Tony