• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Was Baha’u’llah, and How Can We Evaluate His Claims?

samtonga43

Bahaullah ruled that only men can serve on the Universal House of Justice, so he is guilty of misogyny/sexist discrimination.
He was also homophobic/sexually intolerant.
He prescribed burning people alive as a punishment for arson (that is some weird barbarism that makes other religious codes seem relatively liberal!)

REALLY? I haven't read this from the Bahais here. Is this true? :confused:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The whole "All previous religions were corrupted versions of the one true religion" was claimed by Islam, so Bahaullah just nicked it from Muhammad.
Baha'u'llah did not claim that "All previous religions were corrupted versions of the one true religion."
He claimed that there is only one true religion of God that is revealed in various stages over time.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
REALLY? I haven't read this from the Bahais here. Is this true? :confused:
It is true that only men can serve on the UHJ.
It is not true that Baha'u'llah is guilty of misogyny/sexist discrimination.
That is called the fallacy of jumping to conclusions, but when one is running low on gas, they tend to go looking for a gas station. ;)
Looks like our KWED is looking for a fill-up.

Have fun, because it is a known fact that all the calumny is what causes a religion to be recognized, so it has the opposite of the intended effect.

“No one casts stones at a tree without fruit. No one tries to extinguish a lamp without light! …….

And I say unto you that no calumny is able to prevail against the Light of God; it can only result in causing it to be more universally recognized. If a cause were of no significance, who would take the trouble to work against it!

But always the greater the cause the more do enemies arise in larger and larger numbers to attempt its overthrow! The brighter the light the darker the shadow! Our part it is to act in accordance with the teaching of Bahá’u’lláh in humility and firm steadfastness.”
Paris Talks, pp. 105-106

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Note the conditional statement: If P then Q (p→q)
Here is another conditional statement:
If Father Christmas is God's Manifestation, then rejecting Baha'u'llah is akin to rejecting God.
You are free to take your chances as we all are because you have free will.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If Bahaullah is a false prophet, then following him is akin to rejecting god
No, that logic does not follow. Even of He was a false prophet I would not be rejecting God.
I believe in God and Jesus so I am covered. :) Who is covering your bases?
As you have admitted that it's just your opinion that he was a messenger of god, it's all just a gamble really. You've made your bet. You just have to wait for the result.
It is not an opinion, it is a belief.
You have also made your bet and you will just have to wait for the result.

I am not worried because I know that God knows I am sincere. The only unforgivable sin is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, which means that believing in a false prophet is not an unforgivable sin.

31: EXPLANATION OF BLASPHEMY AGAINST THE HOLY SPIRIT

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Supported in what way? I'm sure they can come up with some weird explanation and quote Quran and hadiths, so sure, supported.

Same way Sunnis argue against Ali (a) by saying Aisha fought him but remains our mother or that Abu Baker and Umar are from original Muhajareen and are guaranteed paradise, as such they can't be hypocrites or disbelievers like they would be if Imam Ali (a) is appointed by God.

Everything can be supported. I've even seen dark arts and black magic justified in Shiite Islam at various levels including the Zodiac cosmology. This despite it being evil and from Satan.

I am sure if I really wanted to play word games, I can even prove Ali (a) to be incarnation of God as some sects use to believe and justified through Quran.
Yeah, I guess you're right. Just like I don't see that the "Three Woes" refer to Muhammad, the Bab and Baha'u'llah, but to Baha'is it is so clear and obvious.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Supported in what way? I'm sure they can come up with some weird explanation and quote Quran and hadiths, so sure, supported.

Same way Sunnis argue against Ali (a) by saying Aisha fought him but remains our mother or that Abu Baker and Umar are from original Muhajareen and are guaranteed paradise, as such they can't be hypocrites or disbelievers like they would be if Imam Ali (a) is appointed by God.

Everything can be supported. I've even seen dark arts and black magic justified in Shiite Islam at various levels including the Zodiac cosmology. This despite it being evil and from Satan.

I am sure if I really wanted to play word games, I can even prove Ali (a) to be incarnation of God as some sects use to believe and justified through Quran.
Oh, how about the year 1260. Is there any significance to that year as being special?

TransmutingSoul

One Planet, One People, Please!
Premium Member
This is false and can be easily proven through contextualizing all verses about this subject with each other and with the Surahs and topics they are in.

Give it your best shot Link.

Happy to respond.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
Atheists are just as likely to be moral, just and compassionate as religionists.
Ironically, you have just demonstrated the blind intolerance of the religious mindset by insisting that atheists cannot display those virtues, simply because they duo not believe in gods

You took my reply 100% incorrectly.

That is all that needs to be said.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
The main issue is that he claims that completely contradictory messages are all from god, which means that it is not possible to know if a message is genuinely from god or not (or if there even is a god at all). @Trailblazer has run into this problem when trying to explain how we know if a messenger or religion is true or false.

Bahaullah ruled that only men can serve on the Universal House of Justice, so he is guilty of misogyny/sexist discrimination.
He was also homophobic/sexually intolerant.
He prescribed burning people alive as a punishment for arson (that is some weird barbarism that makes other religious codes seem relatively liberal!)

None of those things are compatible with world peace and unity through compassion and justice, so his message is inherently hypocritical.

Yes, the history of religion does indicate that not all see the wisdom God offers.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
Believe it if you want, but the Baha'i interpretation of all this is too contrived and too vague to be meaningful to anybody but a Baha'i.

Yes you get to choose how you see it CG. You have the same material to look at that I have.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
Yes, things could easily fall apart. But... Does the Messiah come during the Tribulation, after it or before it? The Baha'is have the Messiah come before the Tribulation, get imprisoned and exiled, die and then, because he was rejected by the leaders of the world, now we go into wars and rumors of wars and all sorts of disasters. Do the prophecies support that, along with there being two end-time manifestations, the Bab and Baha'u'llah, or does it have the Messiah, in his lifetime restore things and establish peace and God's kingdom?

Yes I see prophecy does support what is happening.

RegardsTony

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
I'm pretty sure they would and probably do. I think they say that special stuff was released in the air. People invented the telegraph, then telephone, the TV's, the computers then the internet. All because of Baha'u'llah. Then people invented machine guns and AR 15's and missiles and nuclear bombs. All thanks to this new knowledge God released and allowed humans to access. Thanks God. You the best.

The light can be seen before the sun rises CG.

Regards Tony

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Sorry for the belated reply. I have been having many difficulties with my husband’s health condition but I never forget my favorite atheists, you and @HonestJoe. :)
Rather, I save your posts for when I have time to write a thoughtful response.
To me this is to do things backwards.

If a person came to you claiming to have superpowers and refuse to demonstrate it. Then it is not up to you to determine whether this person actually have set powers or not. You wouldn't start a massive investigation and research trying to figure out whether this person is telling the truth or not.

It is exactly the same with Baha'u'llah.
That would only be true if (a) Baha’u’llah claimed to have superpowers, and (b) if Baha’u’llah wanted to demonstrate those. (a) is not the case and (b) is not usually the case, but in one instance Baha'u'llah offered to perform a miracle of their choosing for some Muslims if they would recognize His station as a Messenger of God, but as noted below the Muslims backed out of the deal.

Bahá’u’lláh forbade His followers to attribute miracles to Him because this would have amounted to the degradation of His exalted station. Nevertheless, there are many accounts left to posterity by His disciples, describing the circumstances in which He either healed incurables or raised the dead.

None of these supernatural acts were considered by His followers to be a proof of the truth of His Cause, since they are only convincing to a limited number of people and they are not decisive proofs even for those who see them.

One time, the religious leaders in Persia asked Baha’u’llah to perform a miracle to prove the reality of His mission. Here’s what happened:

The ‘ulama recognize without hesitation and confess the knowledge and virtue of Bahá’u’lláh, and they are unanimously convinced that in all learning he has no peer or equal; and it is also evident that he has never studied or acquired this learning; but still the ‘ulama say, ‘We are not contented with this; we do not acknowledge the reality of his mission by virtue of his wisdom and righteousness. Therefore, we ask him to show us a miracle in order to satisfy and tranquilize our hearts.’

Bahá’u’lláh replied, “Although you have no right to ask this, for God should test His creatures, and they should not test God, still I allow and accept this request. But the Cause of God is not a theatrical display that is presented every hour, of which some new diversion may be asked for every day. If it were thus, the Cause of God would become mere child’s play.

The ulamas must, therefore, assemble, and, with one accord, choose one miracle, and write that, after the performance of this miracle they will no longer entertain doubts about Me, and that all will acknowledge and confess the truth of My Cause. Let them seal this paper, and bring it to Me. This must be the accepted criterion: if the miracle is performed, no doubt will remain for them; and if not, We shall be convicted of imposture.” The learned man, Hasan ‘Amu, rose and replied, “There is no more to be said”; he then kissed the knee of the Blessed One although he was not a believer, and went. He gathered the ‘ulama and gave them the sacred message. They consulted together and said, “This man is an enchanter; perhaps he will perform an enchantment, and then we shall have nothing more to say.” Acting on this belief, they did not dare to push the matter further. [The penetrating judgment of Bahá’u’lláh upon this occasion overcame the malignity of His enemies, who, it was certain, would never agree in choosing what miracle to ask for.] (Abdu’l-Baha, Some Answered Questions, p. 29-30)

Bahá’u’lláh seldom responded positively to those who demanded miracles from Him. But He often revealed a measure of His glory and power to those who had recognized Him in order to strengthen their Faith:

It is not right for man to test God. Bahá’u’lláh seldom responded positively to those who demanded miracles from Him. But He often revealed a measure of His glory and power to those who had recognized Him in order to strengthen their Faith. (Adib Taherzadeh, The Revelation of Baha’u’llah v 4, p. 54-55)

Famous Miracles in the Baha’i Faith
Again because you are doing this backwards, you don't expect him to provide any demonstration of this claim. And your default position is that he is telling the truth.

But I don't know how you would recognize a messiah in the first place? Again, what or who are you validating this against?

I know that you have listed those things, like that we can know him by his character, life etc. Which doesn't work, unless you have a very specific definition of what a messiah is capable of, which from what I can see you don't have.
I can agree that we cannot know if He was the messiah by His character and his life, but one way we can know if He was the messiah is by looking at the Bible prophecies that state what the messiah would do. From looking at those we can see that Baha’u’llah fulfilled those prophecies for the coming of the messiah, what would happen when He appeared. These are the same prophecies we have in the Bible for the return of Christ, since the messiah was also the return of Christ, the second coming.

These prophecies and how they were fulfilled are delineated in the book entitled Thief in the Night by William Sears. :)

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
I fully agree.
With both parts?

The fact that atheists can and do display them does not mean they are not from God.
There is no logical connection.
It does. Especially of those morals are contradictory too those proposed by god.
I consider capital punishment to be immoral, especially if the method is intended to cause extreme suffering. God supports torturing people to death. Therefore my morality cannot come from god.
QED

I cannot argue with that. There is nothing worse than blind adherence to dogma.
And yet, your answer to difficult issues is usually to ignore the arguments and simply quote scripture. That is the definition of blind adherence to dogma.

You cannot know that because you are not God,
One does not need to be "god" to be able to predict certain outcomes.

and only God knows the future, but no matter because it s not a Baha'i belief that someday the entire world will follow the Baha'i Faith.
In which case, how is the Bahai's magic utopia to come about?

We have to go by what was written by Baha'u'llah and below is what was written:
There's that blind adherence to dogma again. ;)

“Warn and acquaint the people, O Servant, with the things We have sent down unto Thee, and let the fear of no one dismay Thee, and be Thou not of them that waver. The day is approaching when God will have exalted His Cause and magnified His testimony in the eyes of all who are in the heavens and all who are on the earth.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 248
That passage means that in the future everyone will know about Baha'ullah and His Cause, which is God's Cause, and God's Cause as revealed by Baha'u'llah will be exalted to everyone in heaven and on earth. It does not say that everyone will become a Baha'i. People have free will so they will always have a choice.
"Exalted" des not mean "informed". It means "raised to the highest levels". "Magnify his testimony" also implies something beyond the ordinary. So it is saying that the message of Bahullah will be not just known by everyone on earth (pretty unlikely) but will be considered something important and meaningful (even less likely).

“That which the Lord hath ordained as the sovereign remedy and mightiest instrument for the healing of all the world is the union of all its peoples in one universal Cause, one common Faith. This can in no wise be achieved except through the power of a skilled, an all-powerful and inspired Physician. This, verily, is the truth, and all else naught but error.”
The Summons of the Lord of Hosts, p. 91
And there he is saying that god's plan requires everyone to follow Bahaiism.

If God has ordained that there will be one universal Cause, one common Faith, that is what will transpire, since what God ordains always comes to pass eventually. The passage does not say it will be the Baha'i Faith. By the time humanity unites under one common Faith another Messenger of God might have come and the Faith will be called by another name.
So if you know that Bahaiism is not the faith that will save the world and you would need to join a different one, why are you following it?

That is true and that is what Baha'is try to do. We try to cooperate with everyone and we do not impose our beliefs upon anyone.
You just claimed that the only solution is for everyone to follow the same faith (one that has yet to be invented). You also just claimed that it will happen anyway, because god has ordained it. So there is no need to preach that message and you should all be concentrating on more practical, urgent issues.

I see both sides since I have a tendency to listen and question and analyze everything, rather than just believing everything because it is in scripture.
But you clearly don't. As you stated earlier in this post...
"We have to go by what was written by Baha'u'llah"

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
Only in your opinion. That is what you totally miss.
Ok. Explain how...
Misogyny/sexist discrimination.
Homophobia/sexual intolerance.
Burning people alive as a punishment for arson.

Can help bring about global peace and unity.