• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Won The War of 1812?

Wirey

Fartist
Let's see:

America wanted to conquer the British territory of Canada. Britain wanted to keep it. Britain got what they wanted, and Washington DC got renovated.

I can't tell who won. Is this a serious question? By the "In the long run...." standard, looking at postwar Japan's economy, they obviously won the Second World War. In 1812, Britain 1, USA 0.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Let's see:

America wanted to cobnquer the British territory of Canada. Britain wanted to keep it. Britain got what they wanted, and Washington DC got renovated.

I can't tell who won. Is this a serious question? By the "In the long run...." standard, looking at postwar Japan's economy, they obviously won the Second World War. In 1812, Britain 1, USA 0.

I never even studied this war. When was it?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
The Battle of New Orleans is interesting, but should not really be considered due to the it occurring after the war had ended.

BLASPHEMER- Let him be ANATHEMA!

But while we're on this subject - what is this land you call Ka Na Da?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.

Canada is still Canada, and when Americans look North at those rich Alberta tar sands that could maybe have been theirs I dont think America can claim a victory.

I'm not sure how to break this to you, but I don't know many Americans who even THINK about Canada very often, let alone sit gazing north at the "rich Alberta tar sands that could have been theirs."

Damn it I wish I had some of that rich Alberta tar sand. Life's just not fair.

America didnt try anything again against the Brits so I guess a lesson was learned,

Wow, talk about bass ackwards.

the fact is it is an event that very much closed a chapter of distrust between cousins,and in the aftermath though the process was slow the two nations became firm friends, both nations were still exporting and importing my ancestors at the time so the fact you were busy shooting each other was probably a source of joy for them.

Somebody help me carry this oppressively heavy load of white guilt. You're making me want to, I don't know, give you my car or something.

:thud:

Alceste

Vagabond
^ There's an alternate version by the Arrogant Worms (a Canadian band)

Goes something like:

Oh, we fired our guns and the Yankies kept a-comin'
There weren't quite as many as there were awhile ago
We fired once more and the Yankies started runnin'
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico!

hehehe

Edmonton's fairly obscure Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie, actually. Not the immortal Worms. The Trolls were golden. Ah for the good old days...

[youtube]o7jlFZhprU4[/youtube]

Smoke

Done here.
Dolley Madison won the War of 1812. She's the only wife of a President to become a national heroine; that's a pretty big win.

Smoke

Done here.
Canada is still Canada, and when Americans look North at those rich Alberta tar sands that could maybe have been theirs I dont think America can claim a victory.
I can't speak for all Americans, but if I could have any part of Canada, Alberta is not the part I'd pick.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Dolley Madison won the War of 1812. She's the only wife of a President to become a national heroine; that's a pretty big win.
I'm sure Martha Washington is shaking her fist at you from the grave.

What was she supposed to have done?

Smoke

Done here.
I'm sure Martha Washington is shaking her fist at you from the grave.

What was she supposed to have done?
Kept a cool head and saved the Gilbert Stuart portrait of Washington. Of course, she also had style and wit and threw the best parties in Washington, so people liked her anyway and tended to make a bigger deal about it than if, say, Lucy Hayes had done the some thing.

I didn't mean to diss Martha; I understand she made a very nice whiskey cake.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

It depends on how you define the word "win."

Teritorially, which is usually how war "victories" are defined, the War of 1812 ended in a draw.
Emotionally, it was a US victory. We had now held off the mighty British in back-to-back wars.
Morally, nobody "wins" a war, IMO.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It depends on how you define the word "win."

Teritorially, which is usually how war "victories" are defined, the War of 1812 ended in a draw.
Emotionally, it was a US victory. We had now held off the mighty British in back-to-back wars.
Emotionally, Operation Dynamo, the largest mass retreat of an army in world history, was a British victory.

And what do you mean you "held off the mighty British"? The Americans were the aggressors in the War of 1812.

Alceste

Vagabond
Emotionally, Operation Dynamo, the largest mass retreat of an army in world history, was a British victory.

And what do you mean you "held off the mighty British"? The Americans were the aggressors in the War of 1812.

Is it just me or are you getting the distinct impression US "history" is a little different from ours? I feel like any minute I will have to explain that they lost in Vietnam.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Not exactly. Technically we started the war, but it was in part to alleviate the conditions that the British were putting us through. Remember, we were still bitter enemies at the time.

Is it just me or are you getting the distinct impression US "history" is a little different from ours? I feel like any minute I will have to explain that they lost in Vietnam.

We didn't "lose"; we just withdrew! :D

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Not exactly. Technically we started the war, but it was in part to alleviate the conditions that the British were putting us through. Remember, we were still bitter enemies at the time.
Extra technically, the conditions were being alleviated anyhow. The British Parliament had already repealed the Orders of Council that the Americans were all worked up about... though apparently word didn't reach America before war was declared.

Of course, once Congress did hear that their casus belli had been resolved, this didn't stop them from continuing their attempted invasion.

And the other part was that the war in Europe with France meant that British forces were already occupied somewhere else, which gave the Americans an excellent opportunity to strike a blow for "Manifest Destiny". ;)