• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who would you like to see run in '08?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Nehustan said:
George W down Pennsylvania Avenue pursued by the 82nd and 101st Airborne ;)

Ah... Another 'from' running fan. :D But I think that would be too noble a way to go. Perhaps just me on an ostrich, chasing after him with a tuna?

I think I'm pretty much with Maize on this one. I would want to vote for someone whose record shows a history of supporting equal rights for gay couples. (If they're Christian, I'd vote for anyone that publicly states 'The book doesn't say 'love thy neighbor, but not thy gay neighbor'!' ) The current administration has me so embittered, though, that I'm nervous at what our choices will be in the upcoming election.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I'm desperately hoping they don't ru BOTH Hillary and Rice. I'll feel really dirty if I have to vote for one of them. It would take months to get that dirt off.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
retrorich said:
John McCain

:(

Voted NO on adding sexual orientation to definition of hate crimes. (Jun 2002)
Voted NO on expanding hate crimes to include sexual orientation. (Jun 2000)
Voted YES on prohibiting same-sex marriage. (Sep 1996)
Voted NO on prohibiting job discrimination by sexual orientation. (Sep 1996)
Keep “Don’t ask, don’t tell” policy - it works. (Jan 2000)
http://www.issues2000.org/John_McCain.htm

McCain also said that he strongly supports a proposed Arizona ballot initiative for this fall that would make same-sex marriage illegal.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
FeathersinHair said:
But I think that would be too noble a way to go. Perhaps just me on an ostrich, chasing after him with a tuna?

I nominate FeathersinHair of the Tuna Throwing Ostrich Riding Party for President in 2008!!!!!:clap

standing_alone

Whoever the Greens run will likely be good enough for me. ;)

As far as Democrats go, Dennis Kucinich would be wonderful, though he has no chance of winning. But if the Democrats don't want my vote going to the Greens but to them instead... :D

MidnightBlue said:
1) Russ Feingold

I LOVE Russ Feingold. Hell, I did volunteer work for his Senate re-election campaign back in '04, however, I think Russ Feingold is more important to have in the legislature, than in the executive. He'd have to moderate his views to run for president and I wouldn't want to see him do that. I think he works best in the legislature - we need someone there voting against those who wish to take away our rights. :)

kevmicsmi

Maize said:

Maize, I am certainly no John McCain fan, but it seems as though you are trying to label McCain "anti gay agenda". many people are opposed to any type of hate crime legislation, so why would they ever vote to have more protected classes under a law they do not agree with.

I believe you are talking about DOMA here. If not, please let me know. IF so, DOMA did not prohibit same sex marriage, it simply recognizes federally that man\woman marriage is the only marriage that states must recognize from another state. This is a federalist issue, and certainly does not prohibit gay marriage in any particular state.

McCain also said that he strongly supports a proposed Arizona ballot initiative for this fall that would make same-sex marriage illegal.
Do you have any info on if he has an alternative plan for civil unions he supports?

M

Majikthise

Does anybody vote beyond their own personnal agenda and think of the greater good anymore? I am an atheist, I am for stem cell research, I feel strongly about the rights of homosexuals to marry, adopt and be treated as any other human being, ..all things Bush falls short on in my eyes. But in the end I felt we were better off without someone who would sell us out to a world that doesn't have our best intrests in mind. To have someone who would at least make the slightest effort to retain a State in which we can work towards correcting these ills even if it's not on his watch. Change takes time,... a lot of time most often. We must never give up ,but we should try a little moderation and patience.

I'd like to see Condi Rice run, not because she is black, or a woman, but because I feel she does a good job.:)

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Majikthise said:
I'd like to see Condi Rice run, not because she is black, or a woman, but because I feel she does a good job.:)
Condo-liar Rice? Oh, poleeza!!! Every time Bushtard gets gas (which is often), Condo burps. If the rice is moving, don't eat it!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ciscokid

greatcalgarian said:
Why take her seriously? Unbeatable name recognition and unmatched fundraising ability make Hillary - no surname necessary - the clear front-runner for the Democrats. She has tried to stake out a position as a centrist in her six years in the Senate - and has raised an estimated $40m for her Senate re-election campaign. What's going to stand in her way? If Bill Clinton remains a divisive figure in American politics, that goes at least double for Hillary - some estimates say one in three Americans would never vote for her. And the US has never yet elected a woman president.

In short, vote for Hillary cuz she has access to a lot of money and "name recognition"? Neither one of these items are important for a good President.

Ciscokid

Maize said:

Voted NO on expanding hate crimes to include sexual orientation. (Jun 2000)
Voted NO on prohibiting job discrimination by sexual orientation. (Sep 1996)
Keep “Don’t ask, don’t tell” policy - it works. (Jan 2000)

Is this the only measuring stick you use to decide which person is best fit to run our country?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Ciscokid said:
Is this the only measuring stick you use to decide which person is best fit to run our country?

Of course not. But I can't deny that it is a big factor for me. Why should I vote for someone who thinks I should be a second-class citizen?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
kevmicsmi said:
Maize, I am certainly no John McCain fan, but it seems as though you are trying to label McCain "anti gay agenda".

I believe you are talking about DOMA here.

Got those from this site which just give the bare facts:

No, I don't think McCain is anti-gay, but I don't feel he's on my side either.

kevmicsmi said:
Do you have any info on if he has an alternative plan for civil unions he supports?

I've not heard of any. In fact, after a quick Google search I'm finding conflicting statements on his view of civil unions, so I'm not sure what to believe.

cardero

Citizen Mod
He was my choice in '76, he'll be my choice in '08.

howardduckbutton.jpg

M

Majikthise

retrorich said:
Condo-liar Rice? Oh, poleeza!!! Every time Bushtard gets gas (which is often), Condo burps. If the rice is moving, don't eat it!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Your eloquence is almost god-like Rich.:bow: