• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's in Charge of Adolescents, Parents or Teachers?

Who Should Influence a Child in Gender Issues?

• Parents

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Teachers

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Peers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Politicians

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pets

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Post your own answers (and post evcen if you choose one of the above

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

jbg

Because they are best to help guide and advise families on these gender issues in a society that includes many people hostile to who they are. One of my friends in college got his phd in gender psychology. As a grad student he did therapy sessions with people and he and I discussed some of the dilemmas these folks faced. It's sad how many of these folks consider suicide because they are vilified by certain parts of society. Those who vilify trans people, especially kids, does a lot of damage to these people in ways we can't see. It's no wonder they have groups of like individuals so they can feel loved and accepted. Even this is threatened by many conservative forces, and violence.
Why is society even encouraging this kind of self-hostility. My view is, in general, you are born with one of two types of genetic equipment. Use that equipment! Coveting what others have is against one of the Ten Commandments.
But for who should influence a person in gender issues i would want someone trained enough to provide an informative influence. And I think that teachers absolutely could be trained to educate adolescents about trans issues.
Why is this even an issue? Do teachers have so little to do that they need this add-on?

F1fan

Veteran Member
Why is society even encouraging this kind of self-hostility.
The only self-hostility is those who are intolerant of diversity. Racists and other bigots are typical of persons who are self-loathing. The interesting thing is many of these folks are Christian, and taught to "love others as thyself". If a person loathes themselves they will naturally follow Jesus and loathe others. Jesus makes an assumption that all people love themselves, and it isn't the case with the intolerant.

My view is, in general, you are born with one of two types of genetic equipment. Use that equipment!
That works if we humans were machines. Our lives involve a lot more than just sex and reproducing. You seem to prefer a more black and white world that allows less fluidity in terms of personal meaning. We humans are often applauded for our creativity and openness, yet there are some people who want to limit openness to diversity and need more consistency around them. This suggests the problem is with them, and not those who may have been born with certain sex organs but are uncomfortable being defined by those biological features.

I am male. I'm completely heterosexual. I am comfortable in that. I am also comfortable with others being gay, or transgender. I don't understand their experiences, but I understand I have no insecurities that I need to impose onto these categories of people. Do you? It seems your position on this matter is about you and your discomfort, not others. Maybe you have doubts about who you are and instead of facing those uncertainies you recoil in denial and attack others who can face their experiences.

Coveting what others have is against one of the Ten Commandments.
Trans people are comfortable, you don't seem to be.

Why is this even an issue? Do teachers have so little to do that they need this add-on?
Teachers have to work in an environment with many more options of freedom, but also with many more parents who are hostile to change and diversity, and even who are violent. There are many issues that we expect teachers to deal with and still perform at a high level of expection. No wonder there has been a struggle to find teachers willing to put up with all this stress and turmoil in a society growing less tolerant and more violent.

jbg

The only self-hostility is those who are intolerant of diversity. Racists and other bigots are typical of persons who are self-loathing. The interesting thing is many of these folks are Christian, and taught to "love others as thyself". If a person loathes themselves they will naturally follow Jesus and loathe others. Jesus makes an assumption that all people love themselves, and it isn't the case with the intolerant.
I have read all I need to of your post. I am not a racist or a bigot. I simply believe that life has enough complexity and difficulty without adding on something as needless as gender confusion. There seems to be a certain, yes I'll use the word, nihilism to efforts to upend gender relationships, defund police and elminate incarceration for crimes. We have had a society that works; why ruin it?

F1fan

Veteran Member
I have read all I need to of your post. I am not a racist or a bigot.
Why did you get so defensive? I made no accusation.

I simply believe that life has enough complexity and difficulty without adding on something as needless as gender confusion.
Except you seem to be ignoring the "complexity" suffered by trans, and even gay, people being forced to conform to social norms in ways that doesn't work for them. The same can be aplied to mixed race marriages. The question is why would non-trans and gay people care what the differences among trans and gays? They doing their own things does not cause ripples in my life. This seems to be a problem of the intolerance who are uncomfortable with diversity.

There seems to be a certain, yes I'll use the word, nihilism to efforts to upend gender relationships, defund police and elminate incarceration for crimes. We have had a society that works; why ruin it?
I don't see any relationship between gender identity assignments among a small part of society to relationships in general, or the other two issues you mentioned.

You seem to desire a society that works for the statuis quo, and no one else. Why such contempt for the capacity of society to expand empathy and understanding?

jbg

Except you seem to be ignoring the "complexity" suffered by trans, and even gay, people being forced to conform to social norms in ways that doesn't work for them. The same can be aplied to mixed race marriages. The question is why would non-trans and gay people care what the differences among trans and gays? They doing their own things does not cause ripples in my life. This seems to be a problem of the intolerance who are uncomfortable with diversity.

I don't see any relationship between gender identity assignments among a small part of society to relationships in general, or the other two issues you mentioned.

You seem to desire a society that works for the status quo, and no one else. Why such contempt for the capacity of society to expand empathy and understanding?
I like things and systems that work. I am tired of experiments that cost lots of money and uproot lives. Now, for example the World Economic Forum wants people to give up private cars. See
World Economic Forum calls to reduce private vehicles by eliminating 'ownership.'

Excerpt:
The World Economic Forum is looking to reduce global reliance on critical metals as nations look to make the transition to renewable energy supplies, and one proposal is reducing ownership of private vehicles.

This transition from fossil fuels to renewables will need large supplies of critical metals such as cobalt, lithium, nickel, to name a few," the forum said in a report earlier this month. "Shortages of these critical minerals could raise the costs of clean energy technologies."
In other words, to decarbonize we have to now make other sacrifices. Sounds like nihilism to me.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I like things and systems that work. I am tired of experiments that cost lots of money and uproot lives. Now, for example the World Economic Forum wants people to give up private cars. See
World Economic Forum calls to reduce private vehicles by eliminating 'ownership.'

Excerpt:
In other words, to decarbonize we have to now make other sacrifices. Sounds like nihilism to me.
From your article:

The international lobbying organization based in Switzerland has proposed three solutions for lowering the costs of critical metals used in everything from cellphones and electric vehicles to wind turbines and efficient lighting.

More sharing can reduce ownership of idle equipment and thus material usage," the group argued, pointing to statistics that show the average vehicle in England is driven "just 4% of the time."

Vehicle sharing initiatives like "Getaround" and "BlueSG" have become increasingly popular around the world and are key in reducing the number of cars and electronics needed globally, the forum argued."

So, it's one of three solutions they've offered. And the article notes that vehicle sharing has already become popular around the world. So, it's not quite as you claim - they aren't trying to "eliminate ownership" of vehicles, as the {misleading} Fox News headline states. Rather, they are encouraging carpooling and ridesharing, which many people around the world have already started to embrace, apparently.

Sorry, what's nihilistic here?

F1fan

Veteran Member

Excerpt:
Off topic.

So I take it you no longer want to discuss what you mentioned in your opening post?

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Why mental health professionals? For the child or for the child and parents?
Mental health professionals are already involved (in the UK) with schools and parents/carers over a range of matters, such as autism, ADD, ADHD, anxiety, Tourette's, bullying etc etc.

Last edited:

Shaul

Premium Member
Here's an answer, "Leave the kids alone".

Children, including adolescents, are developmentally incapable of understanding sex and its facets.

There is no need to influence them. They can figure out their own sexuality by themselves given time to mature. It's been that way from time immemorial. Again,

Leave the kids alone.