• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's more racist... the religious or the non-religious?

idav

Being
Premium Member
I could see people mistaking gods decrees as being a matter of race but that would be seeing correlation without causation. Like the God of Abraham, is that god only meant to be for middle eastern people or a people of a certain color, I doubt it but someone might think so like some of those folks that insist Jesus was black or whatever race they prefer.

As for non-religious people their racial tension is just based on cultural norms. Same influences as religious people have but at least non-religious wouldn't use God as an excuse for their behavior.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I could see people mistaking gods decrees as being a matter of race but that would be seeing correlation without causation. Like the God of Abraham, is that god only meant to be for middle eastern people or a people of a certain color, I doubt it but someone might think so like some of those folks that insist Jesus was black or whatever race they prefer.

As for non-religious people their racial tension is just based on cultural norms. Same influences as religious people have but at least non-religious wouldn't use God as an excuse for their behavior.
Well I know of a secular theory that justifies and validates racism: It is a little book called: On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life.
On the Origin of Species - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Well I know of a secular theory that justifies and validates racism: It is a little book called: On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life.
On the Origin of Species - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Are you STILL beating that dead horse?
Seriously?

You do know that that particular book was published back on 24 November 1859?
And you do know that there have been loads of knowledge about evolution since then, right?

Just because you cling to an outdated book, does not mean that everyone else does.
Nice try though.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Are you STILL beating that dead horse?
Seriously?

You do know that that particular book was published back on 24 November 1859?
And you do know that there have been loads of knowledge about evolution since then, right?

Just because you cling to an outdated book, does not mean that everyone else does.
Nice try though.
Where did you come from? I don't care if the book was written in 1859BC the concept is still consistent with evolution. Survival man, at the expense of everything else. Thats why hitler used it to justify his racism. That was 1941.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Where did you come from? I don't care if the book was written in 1859BC the concept is still consistent with evolution. Survival man, at the expense of everything else. Thats why hitler used it to justify his racism. That was 1941.
Your blatant ignorance of evolution is only over shadowed by your being proud of your blatant ignorance.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Your blatant ignorance of evolution is only over shadowed by your being proud of your blatant ignorance.
As usual inaccurate and irrelevant and does not effect the issue at all. Am I to except your sterling credentials to pronounce the death of this equine philosophy when the greates eveolutionist of all time and the most popular modern evolutionist agree with it.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
As usual inaccurate and irrelevant and does not effect the issue at all. Am I to except your sterling credentials to pronounce the death of this equine philosophy when the greates eveolutionist of all time and the most popular modern evolutionist agree with it.
Really?
Please quote where "the most popular modern evolutionist" agrees with the racism presented in Darwins old out dated book.

Oryonder

Fine I am growing bored.

Here is your claim:
Stateing what something is not has no explanitory power to explain what something is as far as this issue is concerned.

I am claiming that whatever the truth is you have no access to it and there fore no way to judge in my case. So the issue is moot for this discussion.

If this is what you meant, then what is the point in saying it at all. It's like me saying it is possible for someone not to believe something because they want to in spite of the overwhelming evidence. That is perfectly true as well as perfectly pointless unless it can be proven to be the case when made in referrence to a specific person. Every word you have spent discussing this issue has not advanced this discussion one but. Of course people can be indoctrinated, I was in the Navy and was trained in this subject. Unless proven applicable it is irrelevant. In my case I happen to know it isn't possible I was indoctrinated or brain washed by anyone else because of some unique circumstances. Case closed can we move on?

It is funny that you claim that I have no access to the truth. Your constant denial of the obvious and propensity to make absolute statements on topics that are highly debatatable is evidence of indoctrination. This does not make it a fact of course, but it is evidence.

Further evidence is blind refusal to seriously consider arguments contrary to your beliefs and use of logical fallacy to avoid having to address good arguments up front.

Here is one of your initial statements:

A Godless system is completely insuffecient for the moral framework needed for society. A religous (God) system even if it had grey areas would still be vastly superior to a human institution based on opinion.

There are two absurd or, at the very least, highly debatable claims made.

1) That a society needs God to come up with a moral framework is not only completely unsupported .. many folks have come up with such a framework .. including the writers of the Constitution.

2) Religious systems have often been horrific and vastly inferior. The Catholic church legislating torture for people who did not agree with or questioned the Church, is just one example but there are many many others.

Someone who is not "indoctrinated" does not generally make such absolute claims.
It shows lack of questioning which is the norm for those indoctrinated.

The concept of murder and theft being morally wrong was known and in use long before the bible was written. They have nothing to do with your god.

That couldn't be further from the truth or sillier in the extreme. Plenty of civilizations throughout history never heard of your bible and created moral frameworks for their societies. Show us one Christian based society where the prisons aren't overflowing with Christians.

Troubled comments on your absolute statements ..

So what even if true? Since the bible claims that man is given a God given concience that is exactly what I would expect. Also the oral tradition for the bible goes back to prehistory and so your point is unprovable anyway.

Talk about silly there are no Christian based governments except for maybe the Vatican. Since all men have a God given concience it makes sence they have a similar core morality. It actually makes far more sense given a God than if evolution produced it which it can't.

Here we have a blind refusal to consider what has been stated by resorting to an argument that cannot possibly be proven. How do you know that the Bible's claimis true ?

Then .. you make another "absolute" statement given (bolded above).

The statement that evolution can not produce morality is .. stated as a matter of fact such that it is not debatable .. is way over the top.

This shows that you have not considered for a moment the possibility that evolution could indeed produce morality.

Attempting to avoid the question by stating absolutes without support is evidence of indoctrination.

That would make sense coming from one who is indoctrinated into a particular religion without knowing much more of other religions.

Then you get called on it.

I have layed out my history several times and you can find it in these threads if you want but in short I was once as opposed to Christianity as a person can get so I am hardly a product of indoctrination. Even if I was your point makes no sence. You saying that if I have adopted a religion I can't possibly know much about evolution. That's like saying I build helicopters for a living so I couldn't possibly be good at golf. Unless you are some kind of geneticist, biologist, or chemist then I probably know as much or more than you about it. I had at least 5 classes in college that dealt with it plus I have a math degree with a physics minor which is very applicable to evolution. Evolution should not have produced what we have as moral realities today.

What I pointed out to you is that your response is logical fallacy.

Just because someone was once opposed to Christianity does not mean they can not be indoctrinated.

I also pointed out that physics and math are of little value in the assessment of the question of whether or not evolution could produce morals.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Really?
Please quote where "the most popular modern evolutionist" agrees with the racism presented in Darwins old out dated book.
Dawkins was atleast honest enough to admit that he couldn't find a way consistent within atheistic evolution to determine what Hitler did was actually wrong or right. That is exactly my point. Atheism is morally impotent and evolution has some posative and some negative moral implications. I just can't stand when the evolutionists adopt all the good implications but do not have the courage of their convictions to accept the bad ones.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
It is funny that you claim that I have no access to the truth. Your constant denial of the obvious and propensity to make absolute statements on topics that are highly debatatable is evidence of indoctrination. This does not make it a fact of course, but it is evidence.

Further evidence is blind refusal to seriously consider arguments contrary to your beliefs and use of logical fallacy to avoid having to address good arguments up front.

Here is one of your initial statements:

There are two absurd or, at the very least, highly debatable claims made.

1) That a society needs God to come up with a moral framework is not only completely unsupported .. many folks have come up with such a framework .. including the writers of the Constitution.

2) Religious systems have often been horrific and vastly inferior. The Catholic church legislating torture for people who did not agree with or questioned the Church, is just one example but there are many many others.

Someone who is not "indoctrinated" does not generally make such absolute claims.
It shows lack of questioning which is the norm for those indoctrinated.

Troubled comments on your absolute statements ..

Here we have a blind refusal to consider what has been stated by resorting to an argument that cannot possibly be proven. How do you know that the Bible's claimis true ?

Then .. you make another "absolute" statement given (bolded above).

The statement that evolution can not produce morality is .. stated as a matter of fact such that it is not debatable .. is way over the top.

This shows that you have not considered for a moment the possibility that evolution could indeed produce morality.

Attempting to avoid the question by stating absolutes without support is evidence of indoctrination.

Then you get called on it.

What I pointed out to you is that your response is logical fallacy.

Just because someone was once opposed to Christianity does not mean they can not be indoctrinated.

I also pointed out that physics and math are of little value in the assessment of the question of whether or not evolution could produce morals.
I have been waiting for you to pop up. I have decided that no one who's behavior is so contradictory to their claimed identity can provide coherent discussion. You claim to be a Christian, (fine) and then spend the majority of your time undermining orthedox Christianity. There is something very unsettleing about you. I make no claims about either your faith or your claims except that I find them diometrically opposed and I do not wish to further discuss issues with you until I can figure out what is going on with you.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Dawkins was atleast honest enough to admit that he couldn't find a way consistent within atheistic evolution to determine what Hitler did was actually wrong or right. That is exactly my point. Atheism is morally impotent and evolution has some posative and some negative moral implications. I just can't stand when the evolutionists adopt all the good implications but do not have the courage of their convictions to accept the bad ones.
So, are you going to support your claim?
Or is what you said not what you meant?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I have been waiting for you to pop up. I have decided that no one who's behavior is so contradictory to their claimed identity can provide coherent discussion. You claim to be a Christian, (fine) and then spend the majority of your time undermining orthedox Christianity. There is something very unsettleing about you. I make no claims about either your faith or your claims except that I find them diometrically opposed and I do not wish to further discuss issues with you until I can figure out what is going on with you.
Could it be that you have a very narrow idealistic picture of what a "Christian" is and he just doe snot fit into it?

Oryonder

It is not my behavior that contradicts your indoctrinated beliefs. It is only my ideas and logic that do so.

That Orthadox Christianity has flaws, does not mean that you throw the baby out with the bath water. Many of the links that you have cited are from Christian groups that conflict with Orthadox Christianity.

Anyone of Country, race, or creed is "indoctrinated" .. we are all indoctrinated to believe certain things.

The questions and concepts I have put to you relate to the ability of someone to see beyond their cultural indoctrination. This is something that is covered extensively in anthropology. As I stated earlier there is a difference between indoctrination and intentional mind control tactics. What I have outlined are some of the characteristics of the latter. If you find yourself owning some of those characteristics do not blame me. You can blame me for telling you what some of the traits of those under the influence of mind control are but I was not the one that put them there.

There was an original message of Christ and it is located in the Bible and surely in other Christian texts from the time that did not make it into the Bible.

The problem is that this message was corrupted by the hand of man.

This is not a secret and in fact if you were to attend an "old school" Lutheran Seminary such as the Missouri Synod they would teach you this.

During your 8 year stay at the Seminary you would learn Latin, Greek, and Hebrew.
You would learn of the various debates within the Church. You would be taught not stand up at the pulpit and pretend to speak directly from the mouth God... which is why "speaking in tongues" is not practiced (not only by Lutherans but also Orthadox and Catholic)

You do not get to be a Pastor in a Lutheran Church by attending a 2 year "how to be a minister course".

There is a belief that transends the dogma of literalism. There is a message that transends man's corruption of the Gospels.

Religion can be, and is often used to control, dominate, and force. If stating this makes me a "non Christian" then a high percentage of self professed Christians are also "non Christian".

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member

while god can do whatever he wants, cause he's god...

1robin

Christian/Baptist
So, are you going to support your claim?
Or is what you said not what you meant?
You lost me. I posted what he said. Are you balking because it wasn't a quote. I find that trivial but will provide it if necessary. I have concluded that the title of this thread will only attract people who I prbably wont enjoy a discussion with so as soon as your issue here is resolved I am out. I should have left this thread to die in peace.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Could it be that you have a very narrow idealistic picture of what a "Christian" is and he just doe snot fit into it?
I have a biblically consistent view on what a Christian should be. His position requires and he has attempted to dismiss Paul, John, Commentators, and portions of the old and new testaments. It is the fact that his identity contradicts his actions that causes me trouble not the fact that he has a different idea of what a Christian is. That is between us and I will not discuss it further.