• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whose Faith is Blind - Theists or Atheists?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I think until we have some good strong evidence, it's more prudent to conduct your life on the provisional assumption that they do not. You?
Very much so. I live my life under the assumption this is the only life, because really I don't know if there will be an afterlife or not. But they say assuming makes an *** out you and me. It would be nice if a paradise does exist, but I would think it be a terrible shame to waste life and taking it by believing in the certainty of paradise.
I don't know the answers, and I'm ok with that. For all we know, we die and then we all go to something that is far worse than any version of hell.

The aliens are a good example. Those too, as of now, we don't know. I believe they exist, you may not. Either way, neither one of us can possible know if they do exist or not. It takes a degree of faith to claim either because neither stance has any proof.

there's a difference between saying "there's no such thing as aliens" and "i dont believe aliens abducted you."

an atheist isn't saying that there is no such thing as gods, s/he is simply saying that s/he doesn't believe in them - and wont, until reasonable evidence is provided. it's an absence of belief in gods, not a belief in the absence of gods.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I think Stephen Hawking put it best (loosely paraphrased): No one can disprove God, but science has made him unnecessary.

logician

Theists have:
The testimony of others – Whether it be growing up in a believing home or seeing others in church and worshiping, theists have the testimony of others of what God has done or doing in their lives.
Written history – Whether or not you accept the Bible or other religious texts as truth, theists have them and they point to God.
General revelation – When you see a painting you know there is a painter, just like when you see the earth, sky, and humans you know there has to be a creator.
Jesus or other religious leader – Theists have Jesus and other religious leaders that have supposedly performed miracles or have been ordained by and point to God.
Our own spirits – People have a spiritual craving to discover God and to worship something beyond self.

Atheists see all of the same things yet they choose not to believe which leads me to consider that it is the atheists that blind themselves to reality and have blind faith.

There is not one historion that lived during the supposed time of Jesus, that ever heard of such a man. A huge indictment against the historicity of Jesus, and a testimony to the blind faith of his followers.:D

Man of Faith

There is not one historion that lived during the supposed time of Jesus, that ever heard of such a man. A huge indictment against the historicity of Jesus, and a testimony to the blind faith of his followers.:D

There is not one historian alive today that doesn't think Jesus was a real person. There are a lot of people alive today, that will possibly one day be famous, that historians don't now about.

Last edited:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
There is not one historian alive today that doesn't think Jesus was a real person. There are a lot of people alive today that historians don't now about.

George Albert Wells - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Earl Doherty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Peter Gandy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Robert M. Price - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
;)

But personally, I think the Biblical Jesus is based on a real man, as most historians think, but that the stories of miracles and divinity and demigod-ism are myths based on hearsay.

(It is also believed by many Greek historians that the myths of Hercules are also based on a real hero, but that does not make him the son of Zeus)

Man of Faith

George Albert Wells - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Earl Doherty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Peter Gandy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Robert M. Price - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
;)

But personally, I think the Biblical Jesus is based on a real man, as most historians think, but that the stories of miracles and divinity and demigod-ism are myths based on hearsay.

(It is also believed by many Greek historians that the myths of Hercules are also based on a real hero, but that does not make him the son of Zeus)

From the links provide one person is a professor, two are authors and one is a theologian. I didn't see anywhere where it said they were historians. However I will reword my statement for expediency to say "most" or a "great majority believe that Jesus was a real person" instead of "all".

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I think Stephen Hawking put it best (loosely paraphrased): No one can disprove God, but science has made him unnecessary.
I like Laplace's famous quote on God: "I have no need for that hypothesis."

My parents are unnecessary to me now, but that doesn't mean they aren't real.
Your parents are actually unnecessary to you? They're not needed to explain anything about you? How did you manage that?

Atomist

I love you.
My parents are unnecessary to me now, but that doesn't mean they aren't real.
Strawman... and besides that... it's not even true... For example, how did you come to exist?

Secondly, if one of god's traits is that he created the universe and it's argued, convincingly I might add, that god is not necessary to create the universe then your whole assumption fall flat and it's up to you do demonstrate that even if he was not necessary he did.

Man of Faith

Strawman... and besides that... it's not even true... For example, how did you come to exist?

Secondly, if one of god's traits is that he created the universe and it's argued, convincingly I might add, that god is not necessary to create the universe then your whole assumption fall flat and it's up to you do demonstrate that even if he was not necessary he did.

Okay point well taken, I'll work on coming up with another refutation for that.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
From the links provide one person is a professor, two are authors and one is a theologian. I didn't see anywhere where it said they were historians. However I will reword my statement for expediency to say "most" or a "great majority believe that Jesus was a real person" instead of "all".

Actually, I think the accurate way to describe the mainstream view of historians in the field is that the fictional character, "Jesus," is based on a real man, Yeshua, who lived in Israel, preached, and was executed by the Romans.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Okay point well taken, I'll work on coming up with another refutation for that.

While you're at it, you should try to establish that God is necessarily existent.

If God is not necessarily existent then even He must be contingent. Why call such a being a "god," if it might or might not have existed?

Do you agree?