• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are religious people more disgustingly stupid, barbaric, and evil?

johnhanks

It is not said that the giand beaver dissapeared because of drought ...
No, and it is not said they were abducted by aliens in flying saucers, either; in fact there are an infinite number of things not said about their extinction. Giant beavers were well-adapted for the last ice age, and poorly adapted for the conditions that replaced it. They had that in common with woolly mammoths and (possibly) Neanderthal humans.
... and so that wasn't evolution.
A species becoming over-adapted to prevailing conditions and unable to survive when those conditions disappear - this has happened innumerable times during evolution.
When the dinosaurs were wiped out by possibly a comet or volcano that was included as evolution. (in the unquestionable scholarship of Jurrasic park) malcome says they were chosen by nature for extenction. The method doesn't matter its all NATURAL selection.
You do realise this is meaningless drivel, don't you?

predavlad

Skeptic
Your nuts. I have been a Christian for years and no one has ever said anything like what you suggested. Just take a look at this site to see how wrong you are: List of Christian thinkers in science - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There are so many major all star scientists on that list I couldn't fit it in 4 posts. Are you a Troll?

I believe he was referring to most of the population, not just the best.

Yes, there are incredibly amazing scientists of all religions and all belief systems. And even though the current ratio in the National Academy of Science is 93% non-religious, 7% religious (theists), this isn't even what he was referring to.

Which group is opposing the teaching of evolution (which is a core part of biology and even medicine) in public schools ? Only religious organisations, I haven't seen any secular organisations to oppose this.

I will also mention the controversial example of stem cell research, which has been at least hindered by religious organizations. There are other moral implications here, but I think that most people oppose stem cell research for purely religious reasons.

Moving on the the "Creation museum" near Cincinnati which is an abomination to any respectable scientist, and is a gross misinformation for everyone who actually believes the events depicted in that "museum".

Yusz

Exorcist and Mystical
It's human are evil not religion ... Did religion teach human to kill each other? nop... Human is a most evil thing that God ever created but most Intelligent.. Mind, heart, think and lust, always influence human attitude... That's why human need to control it..

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's human are evil not religion ... Did religion teach human to kill each other?
Both the Bible & the Koran do teach killing.
They also teach not killing, so there's a mixed message.
This is where the human factor comes in....people will read into them that which reflects their nature.

cablescavenger

It's human are evil not religion ...
It is humans that can act out attrocities, religion just teaches them.

Did religion teach human to kill each other?
Yes

Human is a most evil thing that God ever created but most Intelligent.

I guess that depends on how you define intelligence, if you define it by ability to do the times crossword I am fairly sure a tiger would come unstuck, but if you defined it as living in and of the jungle I am sure the tiger excels.

You say God created man? Yet we know man evolved, would you care to tell us which species God created in his own image which later evolved into man?

Mind, heart, think and lust, always influence human attitude... That's why human need to control it..

I wouldn't leave home without them ;)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Petty bigots can and do say whatever they wish, but I've yet to see these juvenile religion bashers offer compelling evidence that religion's net effect is to promote violence and societal dysfunction rather than mitigate it.

Chisti

Petty bigots can and do say whatever they wish, but I've yet to see these juvenile religion bashers offer compelling evidence that religion's net effect is to promote violence and societal dysfunction rather than mitigate it.

Years and years of human history. How's that for evidence?

A Troubled Man

Many of your posts here would be compelling enough. This thread is a perfect example.

confused453

I actually got little scared few days ago when I spoke to real estate agent about her religious beliefs. She truly believes that any mistake she or anybody makes, can be forgiven by god, if that person prays to god, no matter if it's a bad deed or even murder. Then she started to melodramatically scream about all her past problems, which were resolved once she started praying or crying to god. I hesitated to ask her if she lies to customers when selling houses, and then quietly prays at home to have all the sins washed out. It was actually a good experience and now I have to be little more careful around religious people.

Last edited:

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
I would not even attempt to make such a claim, because it involves such a multitude of societal factors (as well as 'what if' scenarios) as to be exceedingly difficult to gather and evaluate evidence in an objective manner to arrive at a position from which to present an argument.

I will not however refrain from 'religion bashing' when I am told the only reason I know right from wrong is because of religion (specifically because of mainly Christian influences on western societies) - when the religion that they say is the reason for my moral basis contains innumerable examples of incomprehensibly disgusting and vast in scale immorality by an entity supposed to be perfect.

glass

Learner of Truth
Religious people are more disgustingly stupid, barbaric, and evil because they do things without resort to reason and common sense.

They unconditionally 'believe' on something that is founded on hearsay and things totally without evidence.

But this is hard to prove, you know why?
If something is true in their scripture, they interpret it literally.
But if something is clearly unacceptable, they interpret it as symbolic.

And that, of course, is an irrefutable rationalization.

Can a theory be tested? Yes, a theory can be tested because it does not assume itself correct.
And although it is not 100% correct it gives us better perspective of the world around us.
How can one test a religion?
One cannot test a religion, simply because it is already declared correct in the beginning.

F0uad

Religious people are more disgustingly stupid, barbaric, and evil because they do things without resort to reason and common sense.

They unconditionally 'believe' on something that is founded on hearsay and things totally without evidence.

But this is hard to prove, you know why?
If something is true in their scripture, they interpret it literally.
But if something is clearly unacceptable, they interpret it as symbolic.

And that, of course, is an irrefutable rationalization.

Can a theory be tested? Yes, a theory can be tested because it does not assume itself correct.
And although it is not 100% correct it gives us better perspective of the world around us.
How can one test a religion?
One cannot test a religion, simply because it is already declared correct in the beginning.

So what your saying is that religion is superior?..

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
I believe that he is attempting to use the inherently unfalsifiable nature of most theological positions and arguments (that deal in the supernatural) to assert that they promote a world view (including the stipulation of a moral code) unresponsive to contrary evidence.

glass

Learner of Truth
So what your saying is that religion is superior?..

I have no religion. But even if I did, that is not what I meant.
Now, I underlined more because I wish to express the increase of the possibility of being those very people you described in the topic title.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Humility becomes you. Do you actually believe you are smarter than Francis Collins, Isaac Newton, Pasteur, all the combined knowledge of thousands of proffesional thealogians, textual scholars, historians etc... who would laugh at your take on Christianity.
As I laugh at their take on it. Their opinions however do not actually exist on such a subject [me or my opinions] so your statement here is so much false role play.
As for whether I am smarter than.. it depends. Information and education is available to me now that might not have been to them. In fact, some of my education is based on their discoveries in some of them; is a person who learns what another has discovered plus more, more or less smart than that person?

Specifically for Collins, he has some great credentials, but he still makes the same childish mistake of leaping to the conclusion that the universe was created by God, without any real scientific examination. I've read a number of books by astrophysicists, sent to me by a good Christian friend [one who would pave you under in debate, on these very subjects, I might add] to show me 'the light' and give me good arguments for ID. they ALL made the same final mistake. I did not make that mistake. But that makes no difference to the likes of you.
I looked up your iron clad religion, or I should say looked for it. It practically doesn't exist. While mine has billions and billions of believers and the most attested text of ancient history. I have already proved that and your cherry picking selective memory will not get me to do it again. I will ask again, What texts do you rely on for your beliefs?
LOL, you're the failed Christian debater but Im a cherry picker. that's rich.
The fact that you're too incompetent to find information on an established religion even with the internet at your fingertips is merely further proof of your lack of ability. Either that or you're lying again. Which is it?

Last edited:

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
You are makeing this far too easy. Of all the apostles Paul had the only formal training in Old testament theology: HIS TRAINING IN JERUSALEM No doubt Saul left his home during his early adolescence and was taken to Jerusalem for his formal education in the most prominent rabbinical schools of that day. Among his teachers, young Saul had the privilege to be trained by Gamaliel, the most outstanding rabbi teacher of that time (Acts 22:3). Gamaliel was one of the most honorable and reputable Jewish rabbis during the days of the Apostles (Acts 5:34). He was the grandson of Hillel, the founder of the most influential rabbinical school of Judaism. Gamaliel was also the president of the Sanhedrin in succession of his father.
Chatting with you is perhaps one of the most futile exercises known.
He was not trained in what JESUS WAS SAYING.. not that he wasn't trained as a Hebrew.
He did not train WITH JESUS. he was not trained BY JESUS.
I am fully aware of this description of Saul's training. In a real sense it supports many of my positions. Unfortunately for you at this point of the conversation it completely does not support your assertion. it is in fact, non sequitur, as we were talking about Paul knowing what JESUS was teaching [for anyone bothering to still read this], not how 'educated' Paul was about Judaism. Jesus wasn't teaching Judaism. And when he first arrived Paul knew very little about what he was teaching.

As far as the new testament is concerned:
"But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ...that I might preach him among the heathen (ethnos or nations) ..."
Galatians 1:11-12, 15-16

His claim to revelation from Christ is no less valid than any other apostle.
He was chosen by Christ himself, and affirmed by the other apostles.
His vision was a lie.
And his claim IS less valid, because the other apostles WERE THERE WITH JESUS. So their claims would be more valid.
If they declared him authentic who are you to argue. Look who I'm talking to. His views were always upheld even in dissagreements with other apostles. He wrote more of the new testament that anyone. It isn't possible to prove any position as wrong as your is here.
Your arguments are naive at best. if HE wrote it then OF COURSE he would say everyone agreed with him - but I have made that point already.

So if God told them to write down the new covenant they could not have done it because you said so. Jesus himself introduced the new covenant.
Jesus was not God. Nor was he the Moschiach. But at that point we were discussing the new covenant - this supposed new covenant was ALREADY laid out previously by God; what Jesus preached was NOT it. I noted where it was.

Are you being this wrong on purpose? Ezekiel 4:5-6
“For I have laid upon thee the years of their iniquity, according to the number of the days, three hundred and ninety days: so shalt thou bear the iniquity of the house of Israel. And when thou hast accomplished them, lie again on thy right side, and thou shalt bear the iniquity of the house of Judah forty days: I have appointed thee each day for a year.”

· Punishment = 390 years + 40 years = 430 years
Because of their disobedience to God's commands, the Israelites (Jews) were taken captive in 605 B.C. by the Babylonian King Nebuchadnezzar (2 Chronicles 36:5-21).
I can supply about a hundred more and more can be found here:
Your concept does not stand up to history, as the overall fate of the Jews has gone up and down like all others. How do you explain this 'obvious' historical fluctuation in God's feeling about the Jews? Are thy occasionally suddenly believing in/following Jesus' new covenant and then falling again?
But really this citation is to cover for the rather heinous statement you made about the Jews.

I don't even like devine retribution.
1. I said even the thief himself said he broke the law and deserved punishment, and so your position is null and void. That means you won't admit it but instead cast about for a diversion.
But he DIDN'T say it in all gospels. As I noted. This means you only cherry pick ONE gospel to prove your points, if it's convenient. No diversion is needed to show that you are wrong again, here.

2. The only evidence that exists for this thief suggests he was not a law abiding Jew, so your statement that he was not only was wrong but completely made up.
What evidence is that? IN addition in that point of the conversation i was pointing out the asinine assertion you made that the thief was 'getting what he deserved', while there was Jesus right next to him getting the same thing; the legitimacy of being charged by the Romans was the issue and it is obvious Jesus' was falsely charged; so I asked the obvious rhetorical question about the thief. It occurs to me now after observing you that further conversations cannot produce more than token annoyance, because you wander far off topic as soon as your argument weakens.
3. Have you actually read the bible? This same thief also declares that Jesus does not deserve his punishment, while the thief says that he does. For crying out loud it's in the same verse.
have you read the Bible? All four gospels tell a different story, even about the thief. I made a brief note of what gospel said what.
4.It is you who don't seem to even have a sunday school level of education about the scene.
that's because you're oblivious.
I was laughing so hard the Christian Phd I work with came over and read this stuff. He said you are a troll and being so wrong on purpose. I agree. Jesus is God and can declare Hitler righteous if Hitler believed, if he wants. Since all have sinned includeing the Jews and you, your complete denial of every biblical theme of justification by faith dooms everyone includeing you. Thank God you are completely wrong.
lol, a Christian PhD.. does he have the PhD in Christianity?
And I have not sinned. I do not commit the sins my religion has, which is something neither you nor your Phd pal can say. :D
Is he treating you for your addictions?
As fundy Christians you are not capable of understanding that Jesus failed to qualify. At this point I see that you are not capable of understanding the complexity of my proposition.

You have been educateing me alright. You have revealed not a lack of knowledge, but a aversion to it stronger than I would have ever guessed.
["Educating".]
You are just dreadfully disingenuous when things go against you.
can you try improving your grammar and spelling, please?
But that quote perfectly lines up with my position and stands in oposition to yours. I said you didn't produce a quote by me that justifies your claims and you still haven't.
You said I did not quote you; here you admit I did. That quote does in fact justify my claim, as you are there, saying what I said you said.

For God's sake, there are sections containing only ceremonial law.
BUT NOT ALL OF IT IS. And THAT is what you said. You were WRONG. Deal. At this point it certainly appears you've not even looked at all of them.
I never said that. Of course that has no bearing on you claiming I did. I said your rediculous addiction psychology is less than quackery, and the rest of psychology contains vast areas of guesswork.
No, I quoted an actual psych page or two on it; you called THEM false. And THEN, well lookie here: you deny saying it, then say it again. Delightful.
You are a dreadful liar when things go against you. I have shown you to be, several times now.

If you reject things said in a hundred places in the bible why would all four gospels make a difference. The gospels all cover different angles on purpose. They employ literary techniques such as telescopeing, etc..... If they did say the same exact things you would be the first one yelling they just copied one another. You have to step up your game or I have will have to look elsewhere for a challengeing discussion. I have never seen comments so the polar opposite of truths so well known that sunday school children understand them perfectly. Opposing viewpoints based on sound logic and consistency with what they are addressing are interesting, your isn't.
You have such a closed mind, lack of education and thread-bare virtues, blatant dishonesty, and poor writing habits that Im afraid responding to you will continue to only be slightly discomforting entertainment for some time to come. And nothing more, really.

Last edited:

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Tell me, 1Robin, would you like to create a VS. thread where we can argue head to head? There's a forum specifically for that, and our droll exchanges are likely to become clutter very quickly.

We can argue about Paul simply being a dishonest cult stealer there.

johnhanks

Again, Jay, you seem to reach reflexively for the insults - "petty bigots", "juvenile religion bashers". Is it your view that anyone who offers any negative view whatsoever of religion must be in one of those categories?

As to "religion's net effect", this is always going to be impossible to measure in any objective way. Even you, however, can hardly deny that many wars have been fought in the name of religion (which is not the same as having been caused by religion); it is harder to think of instances in which appeals to (or by) religion have prevented or ended conflict. You referred above to "compelling evidence": can you provide any for your side of the dispute, or is it your view that this burden falls only on the other side?