• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are religious people more disgustingly stupid, barbaric, and evil?

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
There is no good - or even coherent - answer to the question: its sole redeeming quality is that it's more honest than many.

I would ask the question differently;
If religions are true and from God, why in history so many people killed others in the name of God?

Well, if religion is mixed with fanaticism that's what happens. So, the root of problem is fanaticism, not religion.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Evil people will do evil things, and good people will do good things. Religion can drive a good person to do evil things.

Religion - or the lack thereof - can't drive ANYONE anywhere. Each individual is responsible for their own application of their own particular belief system.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Religion - or the lack thereof - can't drive ANYONE anywhere. Each individual is responsible for their own application of their own particular belief system.
I agree with you mostly. But I do think that dogma can affect a person's actions
for better or worse, depending upon the person & the cultural environment.
How much? Hard to say

outhouse

Atheistically
I agree with you mostly. But I do think that dogma can affect a person's actions
for better or worse, depending upon the person & the cultural environment.
How much? Hard to say

The deck is stacked against theist.

the fact people with nothing and no education flock to religion to better their situation

is not the fault of theism.

I agree that the dogma can and often does affect people, mostly in a positive way, but also in a negitive way with examples of YEC and anti-science tactics

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It's because we are stubbornly hanging on beliefs that can't be explained by science. We are illogical, delusional, stupid, irrational, we don't reason anything out. On top of all that, we brainwash our poor, unfortunate children who don't know any better. And on top of that, some of us actually get offended by being called illogical, delusional, etc.
;););)

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
It's the Devil's fault. Once you embrace religion he goes after you like never before. The closer you get to God the stronger the grip from Satan. It's why you need religion even more than ever.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
And by the way, here's a quote you may (not) like :
I believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator.
- Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, Vol. 1 Chapter 2
Enough said.
It depends a good deal on what you mean. So, for example, only a preposterous fool would think that such a statement is indicative of much of anything beyond Hitler's distorted perspective. What point were you trying to make?

predavlad

Skeptic

I don't think the lack of religion can drive someone to do anything.

But for religious people it's a totally different story.

What motivates good people to mutilate the genitalia of their children? Ask the Jews who circumcise their children, and Muslims girls who are forced to have their clitoris cut off.

I couldn't find one non-religious (has to be sane and with decent morals) person who - when seeing a newborn child(boy or girl) - the first thing he would think is : "Ah, this bit here is an extra. It has to be cut off immediately".

It's even worse for religious people who say that they were made in the image of god. Apparently the image of god is imperfect and needs to be adjusted.

This is just one example, I could find hundreds of them, but this is the most ... graphic.

I completely agree that the responsibility lies with the individual. But you need to find the root cause of the problem as well. The ONLY reason a good person would consider cutting mutilating his sons/daughters genitalia is because of their religion.

Let me try to make a comparison to atheism as well, to not be unfair.
What would drive an atheist to commit genocide only against priests, and people practicing religion(for example)?
First of all, any person that commits genocide - doesn't matter against who or for what reasons - is evil (let's leave war out of this)

Let's take Enver Hoxha. Where did his hatred for religion come from? Well, multiple reasons. One was that he was considering religion divided the country, and fueled conflicts. Also, he considered the Vatican to be an agent of fascism.

So his extreme anti religion policy was a reaction to religions actions, not of his lack of belief in a god. And that was my point.

Obviously this is not true for all religions, but for the 3 religions I am most accustomed with (Christianity, Judaism and Islam) it is 100% true, and there is enough historical and contemporary evidence to support my claim.

SaintAugustine

At the Monastery
Over the years I have noticed this phenomenon...I believe it comes from the overriding desire to serve their God and the belief that that God's doctrines are right without question...thus I the logic is, by any means necessary I will do what I want to support this view. Objective logic goes out..emotion rules the day. I have seen this even in my own tradition...both historically and present day.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Western religions tend to be very motivated by fear. Fear is one of the worst forms of motives one may have, and it is at root of many people´s beliefs.

Many of this most fanatical believers are actually in simple denial to the fact that they don´t actually believe and are afraid of dying or gong to hell. Thus, the overcompenzate things and do completely out of place stupid pronunciations and deeds.

Me Myself

Back to my username
(No true Scotsman ...)

Not at all.

An atheist can´t do anything motivated because he is an atheist.

atheism merely is the belief that there is no deity. It is not a religion nor has comandments, where religions, obviously have commandments.

Atheism is not a set of beliefs, it is the lack of a set of beliefs, or just the belief that "god exists" is false. That´s it.

Being an atheist doesn´t even imply being and anti-theist. So yeah, atheism cannor be said to be a set of beliefs in the way religion is.