• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are you gay, bi, or lesbian?

KatNotKathy

Oh, I once shook a gay mans hand

The next day I woke up and realised I like guys as well. Musta caught the gay off him.

Just yesterday I brushed arms with 3 men. All 3 of them caught The Gay.

But I figure I might have some decent input, since my sexual orientation actually has sort of changed. Not drastically mind you.

Before I began hormone replacement therapy I was bisexual with a very strong preference for women. In other words, I was mostly straight (as a man, then mostly gay as a woman), but every now and then I'd see a cute guy. It was rare though.

Since I began HRT though, I've been noticing men more and more. I'll still take an pretty lady over a man of equal or lesser attractiveness, and I still think guys are kind of gross, but this is definitely some sort of swing towards the middle of bisexuality.

I don't know if it's due to my hormones or just me being more comfortable with myself somehow, but it's very much automatic.

I've heard similar things from other transwomen, particularly about men smelling more interesting. My sense of smell is pretty much fried though (fire-eating accident), so I can't vouch for that.

Edit: Current theories suggest that John Barrowman may have something to do with it.
c6izb.jpg

Edit2: We need a :swoon: smiley.

Last edited:

The Neo Nerd

According to Freud (and many other developmental psychologists) children are born psychologically androgynous. Sexual identity is then "imposed" on the child by the parents.

I don't know how this fits in with homo/bi-sexuality just stating somehting i learnt in class on Wednesday night.

-Q

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
If you don't mind, as a hetero male, I want to know why you are gay, lesbian, or bi.

Does everyone think they were born that way? Did some of you "convert" for some reason? What other factors come into play when answering this question?

If I was asked the question in reverse, I would have in past by instinct said because it is natural. So is that your answer as well?

When I started to explore my sexuality, I felt the need to have intimate contact with both guys and girls. It's always been a very natural thing for me and is some ways kind of odd. I've always been attracted to both, but I've known since I was a preteen - what I ultimately wanted in a spouse.

I come from a family of conservative, straight people so my sexual orienation is certainly not learned behavior.
Of course, I make choices when it comes to relationships, but I don't necessarily choose WHO I'm attracted to.

Last edited:

Mr Cheese

LOL!

I think maybe having 3 older sisters had some sort of trickling affect on me, maybe it made me less erm "Macho" or whatever - which is probably why everyone thinks I'm Gay.

I dunno. >.<

Although I'm straight I do find Homo-sexuality and Bi-sexuality fascinating on a Psychological level - in a good way of course, I'm not a Homo-phobe or whatever.

How many shirts have you lifted in the past month?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
That's odd, I wonder why that is.

I was ambitious and copied the info down at work this morning. :D

According to the psychology book, one hypothesis is that "...a defensive maternal immune response to foreign substances produced by male fetuses...may become stronger after pregnancy...and may prevent the fetus' brain from developing in a male-typical pattern."

Myers, D.G. (2007). Psychology, 8th ed., Worth Publisher, NY (p. 489).

In other words, the female's immune system responds to male fetuses that, after repeated births of males, build up and mess with the developing male's brain.

If you don't mind, as a hetero male, I want to know why you are gay, lesbian, or bi.

As a bisexual male I'll be more then gladly to answer that question!

Does everyone think they were born that way? Did some of you "convert" for some reason? What other factors come into play when answering this question?

Uhm no, I don't get where people got the idea that I was tricked or talked into being attracted by two genders. How would you be talked into it? It would involve some serious indoctrination, and if that's the case, the you got bigger problems then your sexuality.

I'm not really that interested in why I'm bisexual. I am what I am.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I was ambitious and copied the info down at work this morning. :D

According to the psychology book, one hypothesis is that "...a defensive maternal immune response to foreign substances produced by male fetuses...may become stronger after pregnancy...and may prevent the fetus' brain from developing in a male-typical pattern."

Myers, D.G. (2007). Psychology, 8th ed., Worth Publisher, NY (p. 489).

In other words, the female's immune system responds to male fetuses that, after repeated births of males, build up and mess with the developing male's brain.

Of course, I should be more careful with the language here. It's not that the brain in a younger brother is developing wrong due to this, just differently.

Mr Cheese

According to Freud (and many other developmental psychologists) children are born psychologically androgynous. Sexual identity is then "imposed" on the child by the parents.

I don't know how this fits in with homo/bi-sexuality just stating somehting i learnt in class on Wednesday night.

-Q

freud was a bit warped though...

no-body

Have you ever thought about why you're hetero? if you're a virgin do you know until you've tried what you are?... I've always known I was bi, gender just doesn't seem like a big deal to me. But I hate "bi chic" the image of the poly sex addict bi really ticks me off. My chosen partner is female unless something god forbid ever happened to her I have never been and don't think I will ever be with a man so I have a bit of queer guilt. Bi doesn't mean you have to sleep with both sexes. No offense to the poly people here though.

Xafwak

XFWK
humms tune....

"I kissed a girl and I liked it....."

Why overcomplicate what's simple? :shrug:

Because it works as a vehicle for religious purposes.

I´m not so interested why I´m straight and someone is something else. But I damn surely am interested if some religious bigot starts pestering people because of something as trivial as sexual orientation.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
As a hetero female, I was "born that way." If you made a choice to be hetero, itwillend, could you explain how you came to decide that you were going to be attracted to women and not men?