• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are you not enlightened?

TurkeyOnRye

I am not enlightened because I still attach myself to the past and future, I don't always live in the moment and above all, perhaps, I've made enlightenment into a goal.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I'm not enlightened, because if I was I wouldn't know/desire/attain enlightenment.

Edit: Responding to the OP, not expressing any state of 'me'.
Edit Edit: Not saying I'm not in that state; rather, just not saying.
Edit Edit Edit: Or am I?

Last edited:

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I will be enlightened as soon as I can find that switch plate on the wall....
Oops tripped ! :thud:
Some people prefer to remain "in the dark" because they have no quest for knowledge except what is easily obtained. If they have to go out of their comfort zone they would prefer to stay oblivious to new knowledge. If you want answers to questions then you have to search...........then you are enlightened.......

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Big, Pretty (and-slightly-grammatically-incorrect) Words;

Because I have yet to imbibe (and understand) the impulses of compassion and stillness and make them transcendental.

Smaller Words;

I still think of "me" as "me", and me as me.

Or, to put it another way, lack-of-skillfulness.

Or, to put it another another way, kettle. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
doppelgänger;1219997 said:
I am not enlightened because this sentence started with the word "I."
I am enlightened, so what if 'I' is temporary. While I live and after I die, I am Brahman. Nothing more permanent than Brahman.

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
I don't know if I'm enlightened, since I don't know what it is... but for some reason the word enlightenment appears yellow and tastes like lemon.

Arnack

We are our Own Creation
zanzero, you ask for a heavy burden! Coming across an enlightened one is quite scarce, especially on an internet forum!
But I'd really love to here some advice from some legit Buddhas :yes:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Halycon,
I'm not enlightened because I have yet to realise the cessation of suffering through the elimination of habitual attachment.

I am not enlightened because I still suffer from the fallacy that I am a permanent entity and not a process. [Realisation of this fact itself is the seed of enlightenment]
I am not enlightened because I do not yet see the impermanence in all things. [same as above]
I am not enlightened because I still fear death.
[ It will go as soon as the above two are realised]
Keep going! Looking for answeres is like well begun is half done!
Love & rgds