• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are you patriotic?

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
If you are, that is. What is the biggest reason for your patriotism? I see patriotism as an irrational love for a piece of land, but I want to know what you think.

lunakilo

If you are, that is. What is the biggest reason for your patriotism? I see patriotism as an irrational love for a piece of land, but I want to know what you think.
Hmm, patriotic...

Not sure if I am. Maybe I am to some extend.

I would say it is not just love of a piece of land, also of ones people and customs and everything that is connected with the land and the people.
I suppose it makes people feel like they belong.

I see nothing wrong with people having positive feelings about their own country and people, as long as they keep in mind that their counrty and people also suck :D

Patriotism can be very dangerous.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
If I was patriotic, it'd be in the achievements and contributions to the world my nation had made.
But I'm not.

kai

ragamuffin
my country is an an extension of the family , an identity, a history,a place to belong.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I would consider myself Both.

I suppose I'm a 'west Brit' - Although I wouldn't necessarily shout it from the rooftops around here!
I feel as home in Durham, Bristol, Cardiff or Belfast as I do in Cork. I find that all the people in these islands are pretty much on the same page.
I find that 'patriotism' often serves as an impedement to that.
Narrow nationalism is divisive - a bigger identity, such as Britishness appeals to me.
I could/can be enthusiastic about it in a sense I cannot be patriotic in a nationalist sense. Do you know what I mean?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Patriotism may be a strong word. but I believe in solidarity. and no I don't normally associate it with a piece of land. I associate it with growing up with a group of peopel sharing language, mentality, collective experiences, political circumstances, and cultural environment.
rather than being antagonistic to all that, I prefer to accept it, have an opinion about it, and understand that to some degree I am part of this.
I normally feel free in my behavior when I am around other Israelis. because I know they are more likely to share our 'everyone knows everyone' mentality, and are more likely to be direct. my experience shows me that some people of other cultures don't necessarily have this in common with us. for example my experience shows me that many East Asians are very reserved.

It is also a matter of family history and the background of past. being Israeli means that your families have shared in the dramas of the previous century and that your household was formed out of it, and of course your entire nation. you are aware of it, and it guides some of your opinions about various issues.

kai

ragamuffin
I suppose I'm a 'west Brit' - Although I wouldn't necessarily shout it from the rooftops around here!
I feel as home in Durham, Bristol, Cardiff or Belfast as I do in Cork. I find that all the people in these islands are pretty much on the same page.
I find that 'patriotism' often serves as an impedement to that.
Narrow nationalism is divisive - a bigger identity, such as Britishness appeals to me.
I could/can be enthusiastic about it in a sense I cannot be patriotic in a nationalist sense. Do you know what I mean?

Yeah i get you completely, i suppose ( maybe from my military service ) i kind of think of myself a Brit and then English, an English Brit:)

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Yeah i get you completely, i suppose ( maybe from my military service ) i kind of think of myself a Brit and then English, an English Brit:)

Pity you weren't in the Royal Irish - then you'd have a decent identity :D :run:

Reactions: kai

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I'm "patriotic" as far as believing in the ideals that my country is supposed to embody (equality, democracy, freedom, rights, etc.) I value the U.S. constitution and admire the founding fathers, particularly Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Paine.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm probably closer to being anti-patriotic. I love this country, but I don't think of it as better or worse based on the fact that I was born and raised here. I find more value in relating to all humans and all the world instead of creating a sense of separation.

Nichole_R

A personal interpretation of patriotism for me would be to simply pledge my loyalty as a citizen to my country. But if the things it asks of me go beyond my moral principles and are clearly wrongful, it has just abolished itself as an institution I pledge my loyalty to.

cablescavenger

Patriotism is a double edged sword. Much better to be critical, and hold your country to account in order for it to excel.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I wouldn't say I'm patriotic, but I feel fortunate to live in the United States, as it is the ideal environment for someone of my personality and abilities to succeed and flourish.