• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why believe the promises about the next life?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Sometimes life is so hard, but if we are believers in the God of Abraham we have the promises in our scriptures that say that the next life will be joyful and glorious. For example, from the Baha’i scriptures:

“O My servants! Sorrow not if, in these days and on this earthly plane, things contrary to your wishes have been ordained and manifested by God, for days of blissful joy, of heavenly delight, are assuredly in store for you. Worlds, holy and spiritually glorious, will be unveiled to your eyes. You are destined by Him, in this world and hereafter, to partake of their benefits, to share in their joys, and to obtain a portion of their sustaining grace. To each and every one of them you will, no doubt, attain.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 329

32: O SON OF THE SUPREME! I have made death a messenger of joy to thee. Wherefore dost thou grieve? I made the light to shed on thee its splendor. Why dost thou veil thyself therefrom? The Hidden Words of Baha'u'llah

“Death proffereth unto every confident believer the cup that is life indeed. It bestoweth joy, and is the bearer of gladness. It conferreth the gift of everlasting life.” Gleanings, p. 345

But why should we believe that the next life is going to be joyful and glorious, given that God has not revealed anything about the ‘nature’ of the next life.

“As to those that have tasted of the fruit of man’s earthly existence, which is the recognition of the one true God, exalted be His glory, their life hereafter is such as We are unable to describe. The knowledge thereof is with God, alone, the Lord of all worlds.” Gleanings, pp. 345-346

I guess it all boils down to Faith, but without knowing anything about the next life, it is difficult for me to have Faith that it is going to be joyful and glorious as it is promised to be. Eternity is a very long time so this is a serious concern of mine.

I believe that the next life will be better than this life in the sense that we will be free of a physical body and all the requirements of living in the material world, but that does not mean it will be joyful and glorious. Moreover, even if it is joyful and glorious for some believers it might not be joyful and glorious for all believers.

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
I believe that the next life will be better than this life in the sense that we will be free of a physical body and all the requirements of living in the material world, but that does not mean it will be joyful and glorious. Moreover, even if it is joyful and glorious for some believers it might not be joyful and glorious for all believers.
One reason that spiritual life in the next life, is not bad, is, all the suffering that happens in this life, is not present there anymore.
Most suffering in this world, is from the evilness of the evil people. For example how a person like Hitler,caused so much suffering. In the next life, the evil people do not have a physical body to hurt people. That alone is a big deal.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Sometimes life is so hard, but if we are believers in the God of Abraham we have the promises in our scriptures that say that the next life will be joyful and glorious. For example, from the Baha’i scriptures:

“O My servants! Sorrow not if, in these days and on this earthly plane, things contrary to your wishes have been ordained and manifested by God, for days of blissful joy, of heavenly delight, are assuredly in store for you. Worlds, holy and spiritually glorious, will be unveiled to your eyes. You are destined by Him, in this world and hereafter, to partake of their benefits, to share in their joys, and to obtain a portion of their sustaining grace. To each and every one of them you will, no doubt, attain.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 329

32: O SON OF THE SUPREME! I have made death a messenger of joy to thee. Wherefore dost thou grieve? I made the light to shed on thee its splendor. Why dost thou veil thyself therefrom? The Hidden Words of Baha'u'llah

“Death proffereth unto every confident believer the cup that is life indeed. It bestoweth joy, and is the bearer of gladness. It conferreth the gift of everlasting life.” Gleanings, p. 345

But why should we believe that the next life is going to be joyful and glorious, given that God has not revealed anything about the ‘nature’ of the next life.

“As to those that have tasted of the fruit of man’s earthly existence, which is the recognition of the one true God, exalted be His glory, their life hereafter is such as We are unable to describe. The knowledge thereof is with God, alone, the Lord of all worlds.” Gleanings, pp. 345-346

I guess it all boils down to Faith, but without knowing anything about the next life, it is difficult for me to have Faith that it is going to be joyful and glorious as it is promised to be. Eternity is a very long time so this is a serious concern of mine.

Even so, God is the God of Love and Mercy towards all of us and we are given opportunities to grow and develop spiritually even if we initially refused and rejected God here. There is always the chance we can correct those things in the next world so all is not lost. Those who initially may express remorse they rejected God here can make up for it in the next world and experience joy and happiness too. But you and I will never receive the blessings of the early martyrs for example. Our station may be different but we can still have joy. Then there is the promise that every true believer will be granted the station of the prophets of Israel should they remain steadfast. So those who ‘miss out’ can make up for lost opportunities in the next world but their station will not be on the level of those who accepted Baha’u’llah when the world was completely dismissive. Accepting Baha’u’llah now when so many criticise and dispute is proof of loyalty because anyone can accept Baha’u’llah when there are 2 billion Baha’is. So just the act of accepting Him in this world should fill you with a joy which no sadness can overcloud or obscure.

It is possible for a soul, not only to recognize the Truth in the next world, but also to make up for "lost opportunities". Shoghi Effendi in the following writes on his behalf to individual believers states:
No man can "obtain everlasting life" in the full sense of the term, except through acknowledging the Manifestation of God, in this age, Bahá’u’lláh. If he doesn't do it in this world he will have a chance to progress in the next one.
Universal House of Justice, 1991 Aug 28, The Condition of non-Bahá’í Relatives after Death

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
One reason that spiritual life in the next life, is not bad, is, all the suffering that happens in this life, is not present there anymore.
Most suffering in this world, is from the evilness of the evil people. For example how a person like Hitler,caused so much suffering. In the next life, the evil people do not have a physical body to hurt people. That alone is a big deal.
I agree that the next life there will be no more suffering as a result of evil people There will also be no more suffering that is inherent in the material world, like diseases, accidents and injuries, and struggling to make a living. But just because there will be no more suffering that does not mean there will be joy and gladness, as scriptures promise us. We could just end up being bored to tears.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Even so, God is the God of Love and Mercy towards all of us and we are given opportunities to grow and develop spiritually even if we initially refused and rejected God here. There is always the chance we can correct those things in the next world so all is not lost. Those who initially may express remorse they rejected God here can make up for it in the next world and experience joy and happiness too. But you and I will never receive the blessings of the early martyrs for example. Our station may be different but we can still have joy. Then there is the promise that every true believer will be granted the station of the prophets of Israel should they remain steadfast. So those who ‘miss out’ can make up for lost opportunities in the next world but their station will not be on the level of those who accepted Baha’u’llah when the world was completely dismissive. Accepting Baha’u’llah now when so many criticise and dispute is proof of loyalty because anyone can accept Baha’u’llah when there are 2 billion Baha’is. So just the act of accepting Him in this world should fill you with a joy which no sadness can overcloud or obscure.

It is possible for a soul, not only to recognize the Truth in the next world, but also to make up for "lost opportunities". Shoghi Effendi in the following writes on his behalf to individual believers states:
No man can "obtain everlasting life" in the full sense of the term, except through acknowledging the Manifestation of God, in this age, Bahá’u’lláh. If he doesn't do it in this world he will have a chance to progress in the next one.
Universal House of Justice, 1991 Aug 28, The Condition of non-Bahá’í Relatives after Death
In the OP, I was not referring to nonbelievers, people who did not recognize God or the Manifestations, I was referring to people who did, confident believers who nevertheless have problems believing that the next life is going to be joyful and glorious, given that God has not revealed anything about the ‘nature’ of the next life.

But why should we believe that the next life is going to be joyful and glorious
Bible tells eternal life is for righteous people. And it is with God. That is why I think it will be joyful and glorious.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Matt. 25:46
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
To help get through this life, I suppose.

You know, this life is not that great, so I hope the next one is better.
So much of the promises in many religions seems to be aimed at getting people to accept the bad things that are happening to them, and to obey the rules their God gave them. If they keep trusting and obeying their God, then they will be rewarded later in some spiritual paradise. And, of course, the evil people will be judged and punished for their wrong doings.

But again, this is another thread by a Baha'i. They have their own beliefs about life beyond this worldly existence. It's different than the religions that believe we come back to this physical world several times. And it's different than the Christian beliefs of a heaven and hell. They have all people moving on into that spiritual world. The more evil a person did in this life, the further away from God they will be. But I think they believe that a person keeps drawing closer to God and that there are many worlds of God.

But as far as this life goes, the purpose it still to get people to "believe" and obey in their God and follow his rules. The rest is just promises and incentives to get people to obey and do good.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I also know that but I don't want a ton of atheists saying I cannot know that so I say "I believe."
It can be a very hard thing to do, but it is so liberating to set everything in God's hands and be done with all concern.

This is that childlikeness, IMO, Jesus spoke of. A child that knows they are loved doesn't worry about much, if anything. They know the parents will do whatever they do and so it goes, so the child puts all their attention in just enjoying their play, their lives.

And should an unpleasant interruption come up, still they don't worry, for it will pass, or at least be overshadowed.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I agree that the next life there will be no more suffering as a result of evil people There will also be no more suffering that is inherent in the material world, like diseases, accidents and injuries, and struggling to make a living. But just because there will be no more suffering that does not man there will be joy and gladness, as scriptures promise us. We could just end up being bored to tears.
That is such an honest thought to share. [heart]

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
And it is with God. That is why I think it will be joyful and glorious.
What does that mean, with God? Do you believe you are ever actually going to see God and be in His presence?
Where does the Bible say that?

The problem for me is that I don't know what I will be 'doing' for all of eternity and I don't like not knowing that.
So even if I was with God, what would I be doing?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
It can be a very hard thing to do, but it is so liberating to set everything in God's hands and be done with all concern.

This is that childlikeness, IMO, Jesus spoke of. A child that knows they are loved doesn't worry about much, if anything. They know the parents will do whatever they do and so it goes, so the child puts all their attention in just enjoying their play, their lives.

And should an unpleasant interruption come up, still they don't worry, for it will pass, or at least be overshadowed.

I believed in the Abrahamic god for forty years, yet my experience believing in this god was exactly opposite of yours.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Have you ever met a child? Your description of child behaviour suggests you haven't.

A young child who can't find their parents will usually be consumed with worry until the parents finally come back.