• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why believe the promises about the next life?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Nothing that you would accept as evidence.

In my years of experience, I've come to believe that skeptics won't believe in life after death unless they have had an up-close and personal experience with it, which could include a NDE, an OBE, or a personal encounter with a spirit(s) that they cannot rationally explain or logically debunk. As a veteran paranormal investigator, I often refer to this as "seeing is believing," because I've witnessed it happen numerous times with skeptics over the last 16 years.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
To help get through this life, I suppose.

You know, this life is not that great, so I hope the next one is better.

I'd say these were my thoughts at the darkest point of my life. Accepting an awful situation and giving up only leads to personal atrophy and sinking further into that situation. That kind of thinking is more than just a coping mechanism; it's a psychological trap

PearlSeeker

So you admit that you care more about your species than others?
Anthropocentrism is pretty common amongst humans.
Yes. I would be more upset if I hit a human with a car than if an insect is smashed on my windscreen. And I feel more affection to animals that are biologically and socially closer to humans. Aren't mammals cute?

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Yes. I would be more upset if I hit a human with a car than if an insect is smashed on my windscreen. And I feel more affection to animals that are biologically and socially closer to humans. Aren't mammals cute?

I'm not surprised to hear that. But All life is sacred whether or not I (or others) find it "cute".

Sure mammals are cute.

But so what?

So are fish, and insects are even cute. Ever watch a leaf or stick bug? Praying mantis? Adorable.

I even cried the other day because I killed a small frog by accident weeding my driveway.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I'm not surprised to hear that. But All life is sacred whether or not I (or others) find it "cute".

Sure mammals are cute.

But so what?

So are fish, and insects are even cute. Ever watch a leaf or stick bug? Praying mantis? Adorable.

I even cried the other day because I killed a small frog by accident weeding my driveway.

I feel the same way, my friend.

PearlSeeker

Sure mammals are cute.

But so what?

Yes, all life is sacred. And also non-mammals are beautiful. As a human I just value human life the most.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I'd say these were my thoughts at the darkest point of my life. Accepting an awful situation and giving up only leads to personal atrophy and sinking further into that situation. That kind of thinking is more than just a coping mechanism; it's a psychological trap
Just because a person believes on an afterlife and it helps them get through this life that does not mean they give up and run from an awful situation, which would lead to sinking further into the situation they are facing in this life. One can believe in an afterlife and still face the difficult situations in this life. I know I have. I have never given up on anything I have faced but I still believe there is an afterlife that is better than this life.