• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why believe the promises about the next life?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Ironically, "let go and let God" did absolutely nothing to stop the years of abuse I suffered while growing up, nor did it alleviate the PTSD that I dealt with for the majority of my life. However, what substantially alleviated the PTSD, fear, guilt, and depression was letting go of my belief in God. In fact, it has been incredibly liberating, and I consider it one of the best decisions I've ever made for my mental health and emotional well-being. I rank it second to the first best decision I've ever made, which was standing up and confronting my abusers (my adopted mother and brother) shortly after I turned eighteen.

I am very sorry you experienced that. The best decision I made was to go into Christian counseling and to use EMDR to get rid of the PTSD entirely. I also confronted my abusers but it was without the PTSD to deal with which made it easier.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I am very sorry you experienced that. The best decision I made was to go into Christian counseling and to use EMDR to get rid of the PTSD entirely. I also confronted my abusers but it was without the PTSD to deal with which made it easier.

Well, I used boring standard secular western cogntive theraphy, but then that is properly because I am in Denmark and we are at best culture Christians.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Well, I used boring standard secular western cogntive theraphy, but then that is properly because I am in Denmark and we are at best culture Christians.

My therapist is non-Christian, and so are the other people in my survivors of childhood abuse support group.

I've had Christian counselors before, and it was a nightmare. They only made me feel worse.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Sometimes life is so hard, but if we are believers in the God of Abraham we have the promises in our scriptures that say that the next life will be joyful and glorious. For example, from the Baha’i scriptures:

“O My servants! Sorrow not if, in these days and on this earthly plane, things contrary to your wishes have been ordained and manifested by God, for days of blissful joy, of heavenly delight, are assuredly in store for you. Worlds, holy and spiritually glorious, will be unveiled to your eyes. You are destined by Him, in this world and hereafter, to partake of their benefits, to share in their joys, and to obtain a portion of their sustaining grace. To each and every one of them you will, no doubt, attain.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 329

32: O SON OF THE SUPREME! I have made death a messenger of joy to thee. Wherefore dost thou grieve? I made the light to shed on thee its splendor. Why dost thou veil thyself therefrom? The Hidden Words of Baha'u'llah

“Death proffereth unto every confident believer the cup that is life indeed. It bestoweth joy, and is the bearer of gladness. It conferreth the gift of everlasting life.” Gleanings, p. 345

But why should we believe that the next life is going to be joyful and glorious, given that God has not revealed anything about the ‘nature’ of the next life.

“As to those that have tasted of the fruit of man’s earthly existence, which is the recognition of the one true God, exalted be His glory, their life hereafter is such as We are unable to describe. The knowledge thereof is with God, alone, the Lord of all worlds.” Gleanings, pp. 345-346

I guess it all boils down to Faith, but without knowing anything about the next life, it is difficult for me to have Faith that it is going to be joyful and glorious as it is promised to be. Eternity is a very long time so this is a serious concern of mine.

I believe that the next life will be better than this life in the sense that we will be free of a physical body and all the requirements of living in the material world, but that does not mean it will be joyful and glorious. Moreover, even if it is joyful and glorious for some believers it might not be joyful and glorious for all believers.
I am one that believes we can know quite a bit about the afterlife from things like NDEs and afterlife communications. The evidence points to a beautiful afterlife experience enjoying the beauty and processing the lessons of life. Then our sole will likely experience reincarnation.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
My therapist is non-Christian, and so are the other people in my survivors of childhood abuse support group.

I've had Christian counselors before, and it was a nightmare. They only made me feel worse.
I am sorry you had that experience, which differs a lot from mine, which was overwhelmingly good.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Sometimes life is so hard, but if we are believers in the God of Abraham we have the promises in our scriptures that say that the next life will be joyful and glorious. For example, from the Baha’i scriptures:

“O My servants! Sorrow not if, in these days and on this earthly plane, things contrary to your wishes have been ordained and manifested by God, for days of blissful joy, of heavenly delight, are assuredly in store for you. Worlds, holy and spiritually glorious, will be unveiled to your eyes. You are destined by Him, in this world and hereafter, to partake of their benefits, to share in their joys, and to obtain a portion of their sustaining grace. To each and every one of them you will, no doubt, attain.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 329

32: O SON OF THE SUPREME! I have made death a messenger of joy to thee. Wherefore dost thou grieve? I made the light to shed on thee its splendor. Why dost thou veil thyself therefrom? The Hidden Words of Baha'u'llah

“Death proffereth unto every confident believer the cup that is life indeed. It bestoweth joy, and is the bearer of gladness. It conferreth the gift of everlasting life.” Gleanings, p. 345

But why should we believe that the next life is going to be joyful and glorious, given that God has not revealed anything about the ‘nature’ of the next life.

“As to those that have tasted of the fruit of man’s earthly existence, which is the recognition of the one true God, exalted be His glory, their life hereafter is such as We are unable to describe. The knowledge thereof is with God, alone, the Lord of all worlds.” Gleanings, pp. 345-346

I guess it all boils down to Faith, but without knowing anything about the next life, it is difficult for me to have Faith that it is going to be joyful and glorious as it is promised to be. Eternity is a very long time so this is a serious concern of mine.

I believe that the next life will be better than this life in the sense that we will be free of a physical body and all the requirements of living in the material world, but that does not mean it will be joyful and glorious. Moreover, even if it is joyful and glorious for some believers it might not be joyful and glorious for all believers.
I say why not, unless you're being all evil and wicked and mean, then I could understand why you wouldn't give it much credence or want it. I see it like this: I do good here, then It'll be acknowledged there. If I'm trustworthy here, I'll be viewed as more trustworthy there. The things we take with us are of ourselves. Our possessions turn to rust and dust. If nothing comes after ... I can say I did well enough to be more at peace with my soul.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
It's more like the eastern version of practicing detachment. I wish I could explain it better, but I don't know -- maybe stop fighting life. Better prioritizing on what truly matters. Ease up on the grip of control.
Well I can agree with this but not so common in many religions as far as I can tell.
Analogies are meant as something to ponder, something that can be relatable in more than one way. So this analogy, or someone else's first response, brought a lost child's panic to mind for you, whereas for me I remember the day we were at the neighborhood store and my dad said it was time to go home. I chose to ignore him. He left me. I didn't panic. I knew he'd be back. Not because I had experience of being left behind, but because I had experience in his love. And I gained more experience in life's consequences.
For me it was just wandering away apparently, and perhaps where an older brother should have been looking after me. :eek: But I think it highly likely that it is the more traumatic incidents that stay with us. I did become a bit shy and more introverted in my youth, although also I did have some good friends during this time.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Well I can agree with this but not so common in many religions as far as I can tell.

For me it was just wandering away apparently, and perhaps where an older brother should have been looking after me. :eek: But I think it highly likely that it is the more traumatic incidents that stay with us. I did become a bit shy and more introverted in my youth, although also I did have some good friends during this time.
I nearly drown at 5 years old, so I know the trauma of childhood and it's after effects very well -- and that's only "1" incident that has stayed with me. It's not easy "getting beyond those pulls."

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I am one that believes we can know quite a bit about the afterlife from things like NDEs and afterlife communications. The evidence points to a beautiful afterlife experience enjoying the beauty and processing the lessons of life. Then our sole will likely experience reincarnation.

I agree that we can know quite a bit about the afterlife for the reasons you mentioned. However, in my opinion (based on my years of experience), our afterlife depends on how we react to our death as well as how we lived our physical life. For example, if a person is benevolent in this life and accepts their death, then they will most likely experience a positive afterlife. They are more likely to cross over because there are no unresolved issues that could prevent them from doing so. However, if a person is rude, an obnoxious jerk, and/or abusive to others in this life, they will continue to be rude, obnoxious, and/or abusive in the afterlife. As a result, they are more likely to have a very negative afterlife, either being unable to cross over or refusing to do so.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
And personally, my first memory came from being lost at a beach (about age two or three) and where I was carried to a children's home before my mother arrived to collect me - such being rather traumatic seemingly since the memory of this happening has not altered over a long lifetime.
I don't remember much of my childhood but I will never forget being lost on the other side of town. I don't remember how I got there or any other details but I remember being afraid. Even now, I will have dreams about being lost somewhere and not being able to get back home.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Promises create expectations. Reality never lives up to my expectations. So I prefer to not have expectations. Accept reality as it presents itself.
Thanks, I really like that approach, and I like it much better than the religious approach of having expectations. After all, nobody has ever died and come back to tell us how glorious the next world is. Moreover, even it it was glorious for that person that does not mean it will be glorious for me or everyone else, and that is one point I have been trying to make in this thread.
You can believe in promises but belief is not going to change the reality. I'm content to wait for whatever the reality of death happens to be, without the expectations. I can avoid any attachments to whatever I think the afterlife ought to be.
That is a very good point. Whatever we 'believe' is not going to change reality, and the afterlife will be whatever it is and there is really nothing that we can do about it. It is hard to avoid having some expectations when you have a religion that makes promises but that is the point of this thread -- Why believe in the promises about the next life?

I know that other Baha'is believe the promises unquestionably since they are are in the Writings of Baha'u'llah but that is not good enough for me. I analyze things rather than just believing them and if they don't make sense to me I question them.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.
Romans 8:18
The verse is saying essentially the same thing as the passage I posted in the OP from the Baha’i scriptures:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I say why not, unless you're being all evil and wicked and mean, then I could understand why you wouldn't give it much credence or want it. I see it like this: I do good here, then It'll be acknowledged there. If I'm trustworthy here, I'll be viewed as more trustworthy there. The things we take with us are of ourselves. Our possessions turn to rust and dust. If nothing comes after ... I can say I did well enough to be more at peace with my soul.
I totally agree, and since I believe that the soul is the person, and the soul is the only part of us the survives death, that means that all of who we were here goes with us to the next life. I also believe we will come to realize what we had done in this life even if we did not realize it before, so if we have hurt someone we will have to face that, but if we have helped someone we will also realize that.

“It is clear and evident that all men shall, after their physical death, estimate the worth of their deeds, and realize all that their hands have wrought.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 171

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
I totally agree, and since I believe that the soul is the person, and the soul is the only part of us the survives death, that means that all of who we were here goes with us to the next life. I also believe we will come to realize what we had done in this life even if we did not realize it before, so if we have hurt someone we will have to face that, but if we have helped someone we will also realize that.

“It is clear and evident that all men shall, after their physical death, estimate the worth of their deeds, and realize all that their hands have wrought.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 171
I find it difficult to argue with the point. Sometimes the estimation of worth comes before the physical death. My mother in law once told me I needed to go to church. Looking back, I can see why.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I don't remember much of my childhood but I will never forget being lost on the other side of town. I don't remember how I got there or any other details but I remember being afraid. Even now, I will have dreams about being lost somewhere and not being able to get back home.
I can remember quite some detail as to this incident and the next, at about age six, when a Chow bit the palm of my hand, with such perhaps standing out from much else since mostly life was good for me as a child - apart from various accidents. Perhaps this is why the more traumatic ones tend to stand out for some more than others. I can hardly remember much from primary school since that too seemed pleasant enough.