• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why can practical people not handle real debate?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
No, every individual person does not need to know exactly how things work.
But the human race as a whole does not progress through ignorance.
Thus the need for accurate answers to all of our questions.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Then why did you state this:

By "explained" I meant properly explained through scientific means with explanations that are backed by evidence.

You do not need gravity to be explained to you in order for it to function as it does. Nor electricity, light, sound, quantum mechanics. They all function without you having to understand them. It is useful to know how things work, I would not argue that point. But to say that everything needs to be explained is a overstatement, and a very large one at that.

Everything needs to be explained. Not to me personally, nor do I view it as possible for one person to understand everything even given ten lifetimes, but they still need to be explained by humanity as a whole. The search for accurate knowledge should never stop and this quest has so far brought us understanding and technology not dreamt of a mere century ago.

Perhaps. But not speaking clearly and not being heard are two very different things.

Well, if you still feel that I am misunderstanding you, please spell your point out and I'll give it another shot. :)

Jeremiah

No, every individual person does not need to know exactly how things work.
But the human race as a whole does not progress through ignorance.
Thus the need for accurate answers to all of our questions.

"No, every individual person does not need to know exactly how things work."

That is true, there are many things I don't care about and would consider a waste of my time. Like the so-called "origin" of existence.

Also, not to mention, you could spend a life time studying a single aspect of human existence and still die knowing almost nothing about it.

strikeviperMKII

Everything needs to be explained. Not to me personally, nor do I view it as possible for one person to understand everything even given ten lifetimes, but they still need to be explained by humanity as a whole. The search for accurate knowledge should never stop and this quest has so far brought us understanding and technology not dreamt of a mere century ago.

I don't disagree with you, but you seem to be laboring under the impression that science is the only thing that matters, or more accurately, is the only way to explain anything. I do not disagree with debunking bad religious ideas about scientific concepts, by all means do so. But keep in mind that most of these ideas were never meant to be science at all, or even a replacement for science.