• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Care Whether God Exists Or Not?

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Yes, of course people should. They should be wondering why they invest so much time in a non-exsitent entity.

Melissa G
How presumptious to think God ,who throughtout time has been expereinced by more people and in extremely personal and intimate ways then you can possibly imagine, is non existent.
Don't get me wrong ,I am not offended or do I loose sleep, as a matter of fact, to have the the peace of God and the peace with God that I am forgiven and heaven is my home, is beyond one's ability to describe, it is the essence of perfect peace and security.If many could only remotely grasp the peace of knowing what this world is and is coming to and where we as beleivers will go, well ,it's uncomprehensionable.
Such an expereince will not be perceived by such skeptics, although your entitled to your assumption,don't attempt to go as if you comprehend such an expereince.
How can you negate and or discount what experience another person has with Jesus Christ, who not only reveals himself ,but is literally tangiably expereinced by those who reach to him.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
How presumptious to think God ,who throughtout time has been expereinced by more people and in extremely personal and intimate ways then you can possibly imagine, is non existent.
Don't get me wrong ,I am not offended or do I loose sleep, as a matter of fact, to have the the peace of God and the peace with God that I am forgiven and heaven is my home, is beyond one's ability to describe, it is the essence of perfect peace and security.If many could only remotely grasp the peace of knowing what this world is and is coming to and where we as beleivers will go, well ,it's uncomprehensionable.
Such an expereince will not be perceived by such skeptics, although your entitled to your assumption,don't attempt to go as if you comprehend such an expereince.
How can you negate and or discount what experience another person has with Jesus Christ, who not only reveals himself ,but is literally tangiably expereinced by those who reach to him.
It's probably quite similar to the process that you likely use to negate and/or discount every other religion but your own.

After all, how presumptious to think Allah, Ahura Mazda, Vishnu, Set, Odin, Baal, etc., etc., who throughout time have been expereinced by more people and in extremely personal and intimate ways then you can possibly imagine, are non-existent.

;)

McBell

Admiral Obvious
It's probably quite similar to the process that you likely use to negate and/or discount every other religion but your own.

After all, how presumptious to think Allah, Ahura Mazda, Vishnu, Set, Odin, Baal, etc., etc., who throughout time have been expereinced by more people and in extremely personal and intimate ways then you can possibly imagine, are non-existent.

;)
Yet he will not see the hypocrisy.
He denies even the possible existence of hundreds, even thousands, of other gods to claim that his particular god is the only one.

Yet has the audacity to make comments such as:
How presumptuous to think God ,who throughout time has been experienced by more people and in extremely personal and intimate ways then you can possibly imagine, is non existent.
Amazing, simply amazing.

So who is the one being the most dishonest here?
The one who makes no exceptions at all, or the one who makes an exception for only one?

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled

;)

Chill out my freind, i never negated or discounted any such thing, what hat did you pull out of.
I am not talking about what other's expereinces are,they may all have some kind of spiritual, mystic expereince, that's great,but I am only referring to the question at hand, 'Why care if God exists", because, those who are born again from God have touched the throne room of heaven.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Yet he will not see the hypocrisy.
He denies even the possible existence of hundreds, even thousands, of other gods to claim that his particular god is the only one.

Yet has the audacity to make comments such as:
How presumptuous to think God ,who throughout time has been experienced by more people and in extremely personal and intimate ways then you can possibly imagine, is non existent.
Amazing, simply amazing.

So who is the one being the most dishonest here?
The one who makes no exceptions at all, or the one who makes an exception for only one?
Context here boys and girls ,context, I am speaking of my God, never mentioned other gods.
Slow down there ,your gonna hurt someone with those accusations and assumptions
Listen , there are and have always been hundreds of Gods,spirits,idols, prophets,saviors.
I never once denied or would I even refute that, the bible is speaking of this from front to back, God tells us not to worship other gods but him,so ya there are.
I choose to worship the judeo christian God, of Abraham ,Issac Jacob
Jesus speaks of it this way, there are many false prophets and spirits in the world.
It's up to the individual to determine the right path to the one God.
You may call your god the one ,be all end all, so be it.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Context here boys and girls ,context, I am speaking of my God, never mentioned other gods.
Slow down there ,your gonna hurt someone with those accusations and assumptions
Listen , there are and have always been hundreds of Gods,spirits,idols, prophets,saviors.
I never once denied or would I even refute that, the bible is speaking of this from front to back, God tells us not to worship other gods but him,so ya there are.
I choose to worship the judeo christian God, of Abraham ,Issac Jacob
Jesus speaks of it this way, there are many false prophets and spirits in the world.
It's up to the individual to determine the right path to the one God.
You may call your god the one ,be all end all, so be it.
My apologies.
I should have made it more clear in post.
I am not talking about you.
I am talking about the God of the Bible.

Luke_17:2

Fundamental Bible-thumper
"A soft answer turneth away wrath"

Well done, roli.

I haven't mastered the tactic in 50 years of being a Christian...

Also my compliments on your pointing out that there are indeed other gods -but that there is only one true God.

All in All, my compliments. :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Chill out my freind, i never negated or discounted any such thing, what hat did you pull out of.
So you're a polytheist, then? I haven't got that impression from reading your posts, but you're welcome to clear up the confusion.

I am not talking about what other's expereinces are,they may all have some kind of spiritual, mystic expereince, that's great,but I am only referring to the question at hand, 'Why care if God exists", because, those who are born again from God have touched the throne room of heaven.
The statement that I have bolded requires discounting the beliefs of many, if not most, of the world's religions and goes against the varied beliefs of the majority of humanity... that's the sort of thing I was referring to.

Also my compliments on your pointing out that there are indeed other gods -but that there is only one true God.
Is your Christianity henotheistic, then? I've heard the theory that Elijah preached henotheism (i.e. acknowledgment of the existence of many gods but worship of only one) and not monotheism, but I've never heard a present-day believer in any of the Abrahamic religions espouse that view.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Is there any reason we should care whether God exists or not? If so, why? If not, why not?

I could easily describe myself as "apatheistic", meaning that it doesn't matter to me one way or the other if a God exists or not, though I don't believe that one does. I don't see how the existence of a God would change my views on ethics, and until I do I will have to declare myself apathetic to the issue.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Is your Christianity henotheistic, then? I've heard the theory that Elijah preached henotheism (i.e. acknowledgment of the existence of many gods but worship of only one) and not monotheism, but I've never heard a present-day believer in any of the Abrahamic religions espouse that view.

They're not other gods, per se.

Though the Bible acknowledges the existence of other "gods" (for example, "thou shalt have no other gods before me"), there are theories. Some say that man makes idols, and "creates" false gods, and that evil spirits inhabit them so they can be worshiped.

They're not gods by nature; they're gods of our creation, and devils fill their spots so they can be worshiped. In the respect that they're higher then us, though not gods by nature (they were created as angels by Jehovah: the one true God), and are worshiped by some of us, and that they therefore fall under the heading of "gods".

But it must be empahsized that:

1. There is one true God: the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel
2. These so-called gods are not so by nature
3. That neither were they created as such: they were created by God as angels, they rebelled, and inhabit idols and false gods of our, in a manner of speaking, creation

So I don't believe in multiple, literal gods: I believe in one God, and that rebelious angels created by Him have taken on the role of false gods who are obviously acknowledged by the Bible, are worshiped by some of us, but have no power of themselves: they operate at God's sufferance.

This may be repetitive, but I want to clear up any misconception that I'm a polytheist: I'm not.

Didn't you read her previous post? I think what was meant, that IF god DIDN'T exist, then we should invest our time into thinking why put so much time into a non-existent entity.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So I don't believe in multiple, literal gods: I believe in one God, and that rebelious angels created by Him have taken on the role of false gods who are obviously acknowledged by the Bible, are worshiped by some of us, but have no power of themselves: they operate at God's sufferance.
And it's fine that you believe this, but it doesn't work in the context you presented it, does it?

Saying that all gods but the Christian God (or perhaps in the wider sense, the Abrahamic God) are either false gods or rebellious angels certainly seems to me like a discounting of most religions... exactly the thing that roli complained about when the same thinking was applied to his own religion.

This brings me back to my point: saying "how dare you disregard the idea that my religious beliefs might be true!" is disingenuous when it comes from anyone who freely disregards other religious without any more support.

A person who preaches monotheism implicitly preaches the denial of polytheism. Preaching that Christianity, for example, is true discounts and negates all religions that are incompatible with Christianity.

If you were to tell a Hindu that his or her gods are actually "rebellious angels" and not really gods is no different than telling a Christian that Christianity is really the product of mischeivous demons and not the One True God.

And frankly, why should a non-Christian who is exploring religion and belief put any more weight on Christian religious experience than on the experience of any other faiths?

As an outsider, I recognize that adherents to many religions have had what they consider to be powerful religious experiences, but I don't see the religious experience of Christians, Hindus, Pagans, theistic Satanists or anyone else to be any sort of evidence for truth in their religion, because the personal experiences of the adherents of each are equally valid (or equally invalid) evidence, and the beliefs are mutually exclusive. Instead, I consider that common effects may very well have a common cause, and the thing that's common to all religions isn't any tenet of faith or point of doctrine, it's the fact that they're made up of human believers; my thinking leads me to look at the believers themselves for the cause of religious experiences.

And it's fine that you believe this, but it doesn't work in the context you presented it, does it?

I don't deny the existence of other entities, "gods" if you will, that people may have real experiences with. What I believe is that the only experience that counts for anything is that with God.

Saying that all gods but the Christian God (or perhaps in the wider sense, the Abrahamic God) are either false gods or rebellious angels certainly seems to me like a discounting of most religions... exactly the thing that roli complained about when the same thinking was applied to his own religion.

It's discounting to the claims of most religions -all religions do that. Even Hinduism dictates that god(s) manifests itself in nature (pantheism), and dismiss our notions of a one true God.

This brings me back to my point: saying "how dare you disregard the idea that my religious beliefs might be true!" is disingenuous when it comes from anyone who freely disregards other religious without any more support.

"Disregards other religions without support"? what does that mean?

A person who preaches monotheism implicitly preaches the denial of polytheism. Preaching that Christianity, for example, is true discounts and negates all religions that are incompatible with Christianity.

Of course we do. We believe we're right, and our faith leaves no room for compromise. But our God is not just our God: He's the God of all creation, there are just those who don't realize it yet...

If we believe we're right, then why should we compromise?

If you were to tell a Hindu that his or her gods are actually "rebellious angels" and not really gods is no different than telling a Christian that Christianity is really the product of mischeivous demons and not the One True God.

I don't care what you call Christianity. I don't care what you think of my faith. I can display that through indifference in spite of insults, etc.

And frankly, why should a non-Christian who is exploring religion and belief put any more weight on Christian religious experience than on the experience of any other faiths?

I don't know; why should he? I believe that we're right, and will try and conver him. It's been my experience that you'll find more after believing in Christ. Of course everyone will say that about theirs; I have a simple response that I've basically already covered in part.

As an outsider, I recognize that adherents to many religions have had what they consider to be powerful religious experiences,

Of course you know that there's nothing to it because they've experienced them, and you haven't...

but I don't see the religious experience of Christians, Hindus, Pagans, theistic Satanists or anyone else to be any sort of evidence for truth in their religion, because the personal experiences of the adherents of each are equally valid (or equally invalid) evidence, and the beliefs are mutually exclusive.

Yes, they're mutually exclusive. That proves nothing other then that all religions are mutually exclusive. The many varried beliefs dictate that God, whoever or whatever it/he/she (speaking hypothetically) must exist. The variation among them proves and suggests nothing

Instead, I consider that common effects may very well have a common cause, and the thing that's common to all religions isn't any tenet of faith or point of doctrine, it's the fact that they're made up of human believers; my thinking leads me to look at the believers themselves for the cause of religious experiences.

The first think you'll notice is that they join a religion -which disqualifies the believe that its simply the people

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't deny the existence of other entities, "gods" if you will, that people may have real experiences with. What I believe is that the only experience that counts for anything is that with God.
You deny that they're truly gods, and thereby deny the validity of non-Christian religious experience.

It's discounting to the claims of most religions -all religions do that. Even Hinduism dictates that god(s) manifests itself in nature (pantheism), and dismiss our notions of a one true God.
Yes, I agree. To assert that one specific position is correct, whatever it is, implicitly asserts that all conflicting positions are incorrect.

"Disregards other religions without support"? what does that mean?
I mean that a Christian has no more reason to believe that a Hindu's religious experience did not come from his deity than an atheist has to believe that a Christian's religious experience did not come from God.

Of course we do. We believe we're right, and our faith leaves no room for compromise. But our God is not just our God: He's the God of all creation, there are just those who don't realize it yet...

If we believe we're right, then why should we compromise?
Because you don't believe you're infallible... or at least I assume you don't; do you?

I don't care what you call Christianity. I don't care what you think of my faith. I can display that through indifference in spite of insults, etc.
I wasn't intending to insult Christianity; my point was to give a parallel example of what you contend about the gods of other religions. I find it interesting that when Christianity is characterized the way you characterize other faiths, you consider it an insult.

I don't know; why should he? I believe that we're right, and will try and conver him. It's been my experience that you'll find more after believing in Christ. Of course everyone will say that about theirs; I have a simple response that I've basically already covered in part.
Okay... so unless you're already a Christian, there's no reason to give Christian beliefs special consideration? Isn't that what roli was asking for?

Of course you know that there's nothing to it because they've experienced them, and you haven't...
I don't know anything of the sort. I'm skeptical that religious experiences are actually the product of something divine, though.

I (and I wager you, in most cases) recognize that people can believe all sorts of things very fervently that aren't based in fact at all. Look at something like the Oracle at Delphi in ancient Greece: for years, it was thought that the priestesses there had prophetic visions... in recent years, it's been discovered that the temple was built on a methane-emitting fissure (edit: on further investigation, it seems I was wrong - the gas was ethylene, not methane) - the priestesses were getting hallucinations from huffing fumes, not messages from the gods. Despite this, I have no reason not to assume that the priestesses and people who visited the Oracle all completely believed that it was genuine.

There are countless examples of instances where belief does not necessarily have any correlation with the thing believed; in light of this, why should we make an exception for one specific set of beliefs and assume that the experiences of those believers, and they alone, are real?

Yes, they're mutually exclusive. That proves nothing other then that all religions are mutually exclusive. The many varried beliefs dictate that God, whoever or whatever it/he/she (speaking hypothetically) must exist. The variation among them proves and suggests nothing
Belief doesn't dictate anything. Is reality determined by popular vote?

The first think you'll notice is that they join a religion -which disqualifies the believe that its simply the people
They disqualify that belief. I don't.

You deny that they're truly gods, and thereby deny the validity of non-Christian religious experience.

Basically, yes. The point of my entire last post was that this is no revelation for any religion -but the fact is that they're religion. I may belive I'm right to the very core of my being -that is I may belive it's fact- but I don't deny its faith.

But I don't deny that people of other religions have had religious experiences. But I doubt the authenticity of some of them (and the origin of most of them), and some of even my religion.

The so-called, self-proclaimed apostles of today, for example, put me through the roof...

I mean that a Christian has no more reason to believe that a Hindu's religious experience did not come from his deity than an atheist has to believe that a Christian's religious experience did not come from God.

Christians, Atheists, and Hindus are not unbiased. We each believe that the other is wrong. So, no scientific reason. But certainly religious reasons.

Because you don't believe you're infallible... or at least I assume you don't; do you?

I don't. ;)

I believe the Bible is infallible.

I wasn't intending to insult Christianity; my point was to give a parallel example of what you contend about the gods of other religions. I find it interesting that when Christianity is characterized the way you characterize other faiths, you consider it an insult.

You missed my point entirely.

I did not say that I was offeneded or otherwise. I didn't say that you were trying to insult. My point was that when anyone does, it doesn't offend me.

Okay... so unless you're already a Christian, there's no reason to give Christian beliefs special consideration? Isn't that what roli was asking for?

I can't speak for roli.

I don't think so.

I don't know anything of the sort. I'm skeptical that religious experiences are actually the product of something divine, though.

Good. You're an atheist, and are skeptical of -even look down on as primitice- deistic beliefs whatever they may be. Then I have my religion.

I (and I wager you, in most cases) recognize that people can believe all sorts of things very fervently that aren't based in fact at all.

Yes I agree -even those from Christianity. Though I maintain the factuality of all Bibically recorded

Look at something like the Oracle at Delphi in ancient Greece: for years, it was thought that the priestesses there had prophetic visions... in recent years, it's been discovered that the temple was built on a methane-emitting fissure (edit: on further investigation, it seems I was wrong - the gas was ethylene, not methane) - the priestesses were getting hallucinations from huffing fumes, not messages from the gods. Despite this, I have no reason not to assume that the priestesses and people who visited the Oracle all completely believed that it was genuine.

I've always found this explanation remarkably convenient.

The fact that there were accurate predictions, that the priestesses only flew off the handle when someone called on them for a prediction suggests at least some degree of authenticity.

From a religious perspective, it only remains to be found what caused those visions. Though not throwing out the ethylene explanation.

There are countless examples of instances where belief does not necessarily have any correlation with the thing believed; in light of this, why should we make an exception for one specific set of beliefs and assume that the experiences of those believers, and they alone, are real?

We shouldn't. Objectively, I'm saying that we shouldn't throw them out.

Even religiously we have to consider.

Belief doesn't dictate anything. Is reality determined by popular vote?

Of course not -I'd be the first to tell you that.

What I was saying is that beliefs have to be taken into account. Speaking objectively, the fact that every culture on the planet has at one time or the other been ferverently religious suggests (does not prove) the existence of a god -whatever or whoever it/he/she may be.

They disqualify that belief. I don't.

If you're talking about a scientific, objective observation: you'll have to take it into consideration.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Basically, yes. The point of my entire last post was that this is no revelation for any religion -but the fact is that they're religion. I may belive I'm right to the very core of my being -that is I may belive it's fact- but I don't deny its faith.

But I don't deny that people of other religions have had religious experiences. But I doubt the authenticity of some of them (and the origin of most of them), and some of even my religion.
I think we may be closer than it seems. I doubt the authenticity of all of them, and the origin of all of them. On most religions, we completely agree. :)

I don't. ;)

I believe the Bible is infallible.
The Bible is a written work; all written works require interpretation to some degree by the reader; on top of this, it makes heavy use of metaphoric language and parable... for much of it, to decide on one meaning alone, you have to rely on your own interpretation; you have to rely on yourself. That's why I asked.

Even assuming the Bible is infallible, it still requires the reader's personal judgement to decide, for example, whether "feed My lambs" is an instruction to preach to the masses, or a request to administer grain to livestock. Many other Biblical metaphors and parables require much more discernment; even deciding that a passage is meant literally and not as a metaphor is an interpretation. Any message found in the Bible must be filtered through the reader's interpretation, which itself is human, imperfect and fallible, regardless of the perfection of the source material.

To proclaim that your way is without question the only true way, you have to implicitly claim that you yourself are infallible, because you (like any other reader) are the instrument by which the words on the printed page of the Bible gets translated into messages for thought, belief and action.

I can't speak for roli.

I don't think so.

Hmm... I recall what he posted previously:

Any non-universalist Christian, by definition, negates and discounts the experience that all sorts of people (the majority of humanity, in fact) have had with a vast assortment of deities in various forms. It certainly seems to me that he's asking for consideration to Christianity that he's not willing to give to other faiths.

It'd be good if he came back and let us know the thoughts behind what he wrote.

I've always found this explanation remarkably convenient.

The fact that there were accurate predictions, that the priestesses only flew off the handle when someone called on them for a prediction suggests at least some degree of authenticity.

From a religious perspective, it only remains to be found what caused those visions. Though not throwing out the ethylene explanation.
Going by the documentary I saw on it, the fissure runs right beneath the altar in the temple at the Oracle. Only the priestess doing the prophesy would be standing right on top of it, and only while performing rituals.

And it's easy to give an "accurate" prophesy. Babbling from someone in a hallucinogenic state would require a fair bit of interpretation. If things turned out differently than the way they thought, the believers could blame the "faulty" interpretation rather than the Oracle.

We shouldn't. Objectively, I'm saying that we shouldn't throw them out.

Even religiously we have to consider.
Yes, we have to consider that effects have causes. Something causes people to have religious experiences; that does not mean that the cause must be God (or Odin, or Shiva, or Horus, etc., etc.), though.

Of course not -I'd be the first to tell you that.

What I was saying is that beliefs have to be taken into account. Speaking objectively, the fact that every culture on the planet has at one time or the other been ferverently religious suggests (does not prove) the existence of a god -whatever or whoever it/he/she may be.
Why do you make that assumption?

If a god or gods did exist, and did present itself/himself/herself/themselves to humanity at various points in time to give instructions on how to worship and live, don't you think we'd see more similarity in the beliefs amongst all religions? If God wanted humanity to worship Him alone, why is ancestor worship so prevalent all over the world? Do you think anything about the myriad religions of the world suggests any commonality other than belief in things beyond this world? Actually, now that I think about it, not even that is shared by all world religions.

I don't see why we should treat religion differently from any other cultural trait. For example, if we were to find that prehistoric peoples on two separate continents both used clay pots, but that the pottery styles were completely different in method of construction and final form, we'd likely conclude that the two peoples developed clay pots separately and on their own. We would not suggest that some mysterious agency visited both peoples by unknown means, taught them both to make clay pots (and nothing else, since their cultures share no other traits), but one of them immediately diverged from their instructions and began making pots in some way other than the "proper" one.

If we conclude that supernatural influence is a ridiculous explanation for the origins of pottery, why should we think any more of it as an explanation for the origins of religious beliefs?

If you're talking about a scientific, objective observation: you'll have to take it into consideration.
Yes, and consider all possible explanations, not just the least likely one.

The Bible is a written work; all written works require interpretation to some degree by the reader; on top of this, it makes heavy use of metaphoric language and parable... for much of it, to decide on one meaning alone, you have to rely on your own interpretation; you have to rely on yourself. That's why I asked.
Even assuming the Bible is infallible, it still requires the reader's personal judgement to decide, for example, whether "feed My lambs" is an instruction to preach to the masses, or a request to administer grain to livestock. Many other Biblical metaphors and parables require much more discernment; even deciding that a passage is meant literally and not as a metaphor is an interpretation. Any message found in the Bible must be filtered through the reader's interpretation, which itself is human, imperfect and fallible, regardless of the perfection of the source material.

To proclaim that your way is without question the only true way, you have to implicitly claim that you yourself are infallible, because you (like any other reader) are the instrument by which the words on the printed page of the Bible gets translated into messages for thought, belief and action.

What you said regarding interpretations is true. What always gets in the way is the many different versions of the Bible. A non-Christian or a Christian who argues with another Christian will get nowhere if they use two different versions. Because we'll get hung up on the fact that they say completely different things in some cases. My beliefs come from what the Bible says, that is I didn't adapt it to my prejudices, and though they be interpretations, they can usually sorted out through contexts, etc. Most of the differences subscribers to the same versions have are minor: divorce, why God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, etc. Minor, petty differences that will only be sorted out by God Himself. The fact that the Bible was written over a period of 1600 years, with 40 different human authors, with references in the NT to books from the OT that date back centuries... and no contradictions. The relationship between ancient Judaism and Christianity, the perfect interlocking of those two faiths, fulfilled prophecies -that's what makes the Bible infallible to many no matter which version they use.

Hmm... I recall what he posted previously:
Any non-universalist Christian, by definition, negates and discounts the experience that all sorts of people (the majority of humanity, in fact) have had with a vast assortment of deities in various forms. It certainly seems to me that he's asking for consideration to Christianity that he's not willing to give to other faiths.

It'd be good if he came back and let us know the thoughts behind what he wrote.[/quote]

Again, I can't speak for roli, but I'm sure that he can explain it to clear up any misunderstanding. He's handled himself well, in the face of insults, without getting nasty.

Now, as a non-universalist, I'm of course also of that opinion. And again, though it be faith that to me has been proven, it's still faith.

Going by the documentary I saw on it, the fissure runs right beneath the altar in the temple at the Oracle. Only the priestess doing the prophesy would be standing right on top of it, and only while performing rituals.
And it's easy to give an "accurate" prophesy. Babbling from someone in a hallucinogenic state would require a fair bit of interpretation. If things turned out differently than the way they thought, the believers could blame the "faulty" interpretation rather than the Oracle.

It sounds clean cut enough. I wouldn't be surprised.

They would write the prophecies before they were fulfilled, though. One, for example, predicted (therefore before it occurred) that Athens would be burned by the Persians, but that their fleet would defeat the Persians in turn, and save Athens in the end. It came to pass.

Another one said that if Sparta were to be saved in the same war, they would have to lose one of their kings. It came to pass.

Scary.

Yes, we have to consider that effects have causes. Something causes people to have religious experiences; that does not mean that the cause must be God (or Odin, or Shiva, or Horus, etc., etc.), though.

Agreed.

Why do you make that assumption?
If a god or gods did exist, and did present itself/himself/herself/themselves to humanity at various points in time to give instructions on how to worship and live, don't you think we'd see more similarity in the beliefs amongst all religions? If God wanted humanity to worship Him alone, why is ancestor worship so prevalent all over the world? Do you think anything about the myriad religions of the world suggests any commonality other than belief in things beyond this world? Actually, now that I think about it, not even that is shared by all world religions.

What I mean is that, whether we evolved or not, it doesn’t stand to reason that we’d universally, and consistently develop faiths, and cling to them.

I don't see why we should treat religion differently from any other cultural trait. For example, if we were to find that prehistoric peoples on two separate continents both used clay pots, but that the pottery styles were completely different in method of construction and final form, we'd likely conclude that the two peoples developed clay pots separately and on their own. We would not suggest that some mysterious agency visited both peoples by unknown means, taught them both to make clay pots (and nothing else, since their cultures share no other traits), but one of them immediately diverged from their instructions and began making pots in some way other than the "proper" one.
If we conclude that supernatural influence is a ridiculous explanation for the origins of pottery, why should we think any more of it as an explanation for the origins of religious beliefs?

To me this seems like apples and oranges. Pottery is one thing; religion is another. Pottery developed as a necessary link in development of civilization. Religion developed with the same sort of consistency, though they differed greatly. If God doesn’t exist, why is God necessary? Why do we have religion if there’s no God? Why did it develop the same as the rest of the traits of a culture if it doesn’t exist.

Yes, and consider all possible explanations, not just the least likely one.[/quote]
How is the existence of God the least likely possibility?

Aure

MUSHA
Because we love God, dont love God. But in the end we see who God is, not just a man. But an eternal being like you and me; we are God but we are not his being, he created us.

So why care if God? because we are external, we are forever, we are imagined, we are here. and thats what I have to say.