• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why did God kill many people?

Luke

in Gods commandments it says Thou Shalt Not Kill. then why in historie has God destroyed cities and killed many people. if God create humankind i n his image and if God is love then why does he kill people.

Delilah Roo

God said thou shalt not kill. He never said I shall not kill. Do as I do, Not as I say. I guess, of course it is not as if God really wrote the bible, human's wrote the bible.
(Of course I am an athiest, so my veiws are soligtly jaded)

--Miss Delilah Roo

A

angellous_evangellous

in Gods commandments it says Thou Shalt Not Kill. then why in historie has God destroyed cities and killed many people. if God create humankind i n his image and if God is love then why does he kill people.

The Hebrew word for "murder" translated "thou shalt not kill" is never used for God's actions in the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament). The same is true for the ancient Greek translation, the LXX, or New Testament for that matter.

linwood

The Hebrew word for "murder" translated "thou shalt not kill" is never used for God's actions in the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament). The same is true for the ancient Greek translation, the LXX, or New Testament for that matter.

Your splitting hairs AE.

Answer the OP.

:)

A

angellous_evangellous

Your splitting hairs AE.

Answer the OP.

:)

haha, no hair-spliting there.

God never violated his own commandment, at least according to the Bible. It's an important point to make that the ancients have some sense of consistency.

linwood

haha, no hair-spliting there.

God never violated his own commandment, at least according to the Bible. It's an important point to make that the ancients have some sense of consistency.

I agree wholeheartedly.

However what you`re left with then is a deity who essentially lives by the "Do as I say not as I do" commandment.

Not a character trait our society usually holds respect for.

How do theists get around that?

A

angellous_evangellous

I agree wholeheartedly.

However what you`re left with then is a deity who essentially lives by the "Do as I say not as I do" commandment.

Not a character trait our society usually holds respect for.

How do theists get around that?

Not if he never violated the commandment.

Remember also that God commanded people to kill for a wide variety of reasons, but never using the same term in the commandment "thou shalt not murder."

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Also, I'd bet dollars to donuts that the Hebrew word translated "thou" means "you", not "you and I".

It's "thou shall not kill", not "we shall not kill".

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Look at how inconsistent and hypocritical people are - if we're created in god's image, what does this say about god?

Andal

resident hypnotist
Something to bear in mind is that in the end God kills us all. Nothing can be born, live, even take a breath, let alone die outside of the will of God. So whether we die in a hospital bed, in an accident, or on the battle field, it is God who is taking away the life. According to the Gita, ultimately there is no death though. Anyone who believes they can kill or be killed is mistaken as the soul can not die. God does decide when it's time to leave this life however. And honestly, we're all going to die anyway so can anyone think of a more pious way to die than directly by the hand of God.

A

angellous_evangellous

Look at how inconsistent and hypocritical people are - if we're created in god's image, what does this say about god?

haha that's a pretty high standard for "consistency."

It basically means that anything that anyone says about God is de facto inconsistent, and by that rule, anything else is, too.

Luke

God said thou shalt not kill. He never said I shall not kill. Do as I do, Not as I say. I guess, of course it is not as if God really wrote the bible, human's wrote the bible.
(Of course I am an athiest, so my veiws are soligtly jaded)

--Miss Delilah Roo
överens med, but the people that write the bible are suppose to be inspired by God. many people in religion refer t o the bible as Gods word.

ayani

well, He is ultimately our Creator, and the One worthy of judging when our lives are to be taken back, and under what circumstances.

He is also the One who measures what men know, what they knowingly ignore, and what they deserve. while our perspective is limited, His is not.

He does love each human being, but we are also held responsible for what we do, and for how we live and treat one another. and His love is not the kind of love which ignores flaws and ignores evil, and stands aside forever, unwilling to intervene or correct / punish wrongdoing.

sometimes God's correction takes the form of ending life, or ending the life of a society. and He does give peoples ample warning and the ability to understand what is right and wrong before taking life on account of evil.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
haha that's a pretty high standard for "consistency."

It basically means that anything that anyone says about God is de facto inconsistent, and by that rule, anything else is, too.

No, it simply means that if we're created in god's image, then any part of us, must have originated from god. Seeing that we're often inconsistent and hypocritical, this would imply that god is also - which fits in well with biblical hypocrisies, such as the one pointed out in the OP.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
What Angellous is saying is that the Hebrew Bible's commandment in the original Hebrew is 'Thou shall not murder' and not 'though shall not kill' as the English translation goes.
therefore in the frame of Biblical stories, God did not murder.

Luke

No, it simply means that if we're created in god's image, then any part of us, must have originated from god. Seeing that we're often inconsistent and hypocritical, this would imply that god is also - which fits in well with biblical hypocrisies, such as the one pointed out in the OP.

överens med, i think i f there is God he abandon us.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
What Angellous is saying is that the Hebrew Bible's commandment in the original Hebrew is 'Thou shall not murder' and not 'though shall not kill' as the English translation goes.
therefore in the frame of Biblical stories, God did not murder.

What exactly is the difference, and where is this difference outlined?

linwood

There is a difference but it doesn`t apply here.

To claim that the Midianites were "killed" and not "murdered" is a twisting of what our culture considers "murder" or genocide.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
The difference between murder and killing is very obvious even in the frame of the modern legal system. murder is killing someone with a malicious intent, while killing may be a result of circumstancial reasons, for example you dont murder someone out of self defense, but you kill them out of self defense.

the difference in biblical context is outlined in ideology. such as God bringing the flood in order to clean the land of the corruption of men.