• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why did God kill many people?

A

angellous_evangellous

Are you being intentionally obtuse, or do you selectively avoid reading for comprehension?

I agree that it never happened. However, that hypothetical scenario would make god a murderer.

How exactly does a hypothetical situation make someone a murderer?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Because he really really wants god to be a murderer.... and to not exist...

A non-existent murderer.... or he just wants to feel bad for believing in a nonexistent murderer god?

wa:do

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
How exactly does a hypothetical situation make someone a murderer?

Well, you can only apply a hypothetical situation to a hypothetical entity.

Hypothetically, if god killed nearly all life on earth, via a worldwide flood, this would, hypothetically, make him a murderer. Do you somehow disagree with this?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Because he really really wants god to be a murderer.... and to not exist...

A non-existent murderer.... or he just wants to feel bad for believing in a nonexistent murderer god?

No, I just really really want people to be logically consistent. I know...it's a pipe dream.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
What an incredibly wordy way of not answering the question. Kudos to you.

Its simply that you are too narrow minded to see beyond your literal reading of the bible. in other words, you are no different than a fundamentalist believer, its just that you are a fundamentalist non-believer. :shrug:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Its simply that you are too narrow minded to see beyond your literal reading of the bible. in other words, you are no different than a fundamentalist believer, its just that you are a fundamentalist non-believer. :shrug:

So, that's another non-answer? Got it - thanks!

A

angellous_evangellous

No, I just really really want people to be logically consistent. I know...it's a pipe dream.

Keep trying. :biglaugh:

The establishment of inconsistency would be useful, which you have completely failed to do in this case.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Basically, what it comes down to is this, for various reasons, God can do anything, no matter how horrible, how completely immoral, and God is still perfect and great. There is nothing you can conceive of, including killing every human being on earth, that God could do and still not be great. So "great" and "good" are defined as "capable of any horror," and when people say that God is good, great, or perfect, they mean in the sense of "including being capable of the most horrific atrocities imaginable. Neat system, what?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Since the flood didn't happen... what does it matter?
Why is god a murderer over a cautionary tale?

Is Stephen King a murderer?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Since the flood didn't happen... what does it matter?
Why is god a murderer over a cautionary tale?

Is Stephen King a murderer?

No, but characters in his books are, within the fictional worlds he created. Would you describe the character of god in the bible a murderer, based on his intentional killing of nearly all life on the planet?

It's a pretty simple question really.