• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why did God kill many people?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The difference between murder and killing is very obvious even in the frame of the modern legal system. murder is killing someone with a malicious intent, while killing may be a result of circumstancial reasons, for example you dont murder someone out of self defense, but you kill them out of self defense.

the difference in biblical context is outlined in ideology. such as God bringing the flood in order to clean the land of the corruption of men.

I fail to see the distinction. Many murder rationalize their actions, yet that doesn't mean that they didn't commit murder. You can call it "cleaning the land of the corruption of men", but even in the frame of the modern legal system, he would be considered a murderer.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I fail to see the distinction. Many murder rationalize their actions, yet that doesn't mean that they didn't commit murder. You can call it "cleaning the land of the corruption of men", but even in the frame of the modern legal system, he would be considered a murderer.

Whether the stories of the bible meet your personal taste is your personal issue.
Personally I dont have to be a 'Bible believer' in order to appreciate the structure of the Bible, it may not meet many of my modern standards, but im not willing to shun myself from this great work of the scribes of Judah which has earned a special place in Western culture.

A

angellous_evangellous

There is a difference but it doesn`t apply here.

To claim that the Midianites were "killed" and not "murdered" is a twisting of what our culture considers "murder" or genocide.

Well, there's no proof that the Midianites, or anyone else mentioned in the Bible for that matter, were killed on a biblical scale. :shrug:

If the God of the Bible were ever to be put on trial for war crimes, the proof of both his existence and the crimes themselves would have to be demonstrated by the prosecutor.

To my knowledge, no god has ever been found guilty of anything.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Whether the stories of the bible meet your personal taste is your personal issue.
Personally I dont have to be a 'Bible believer' in order to appreciate the structure of the Bible, it may not meet many of my modern standards, but im not willing to shun myself from this great work of the scribes of Judah which has earned a special place in Western culture.

How does this address whether god is a murderer or not? You don't think the intentional and premeditated "killing" of nearly all life on earth falls under the description of "murder?"

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Funny how the words of a bunch of "bronze age goat herders" are taken as literal when condemning god... but not in any other way.

Bragging and boasting about how "god is on my side" in war is nothing new... nor is exaggerating your "totally epic wins"...

wa:do

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
How does this address whether god is a murderer or not? You don't think the intentional and premeditated "killing" of nearly all life on earth falls under the description of "murder?"

You are not grasping the context of the argument. the biblical stories were written out of the ideologies of an elite caste in the ancient near east. and more to the point you are judging a mythological apocalyptic ancient near eastern story with a 21st century humanistic lens, personally to me, as someone who has an interest in researching scriptural topics, this doesnt measure up as a constructive method.

A

angellous_evangellous

You need to produce a body and a murder weapon.

Otherwise this whole investigation seems worthless.

Luke

Well, there's no proof that the Midianites, or anyone else mentioned in the Bible for that matter, were killed on a biblical scale. :shrug:

If the God of the Bible were ever to be put on trial for war crimes, the proof of both his existence and the crimes themselves would have to be demonstrated by the prosecutor.

To my knowledge, no god has ever been found guilty of anything.

why will anybody put God on trial when it is humankind that i s evil person. there must be reason why God kill all these people. now if Bible is the word of God like many people i n religion say, then we must believe this. befojr God kill people, the bible will say that God saw the city was full of wicked and evil people in the land. hur ni säga, he kill everybody in the city. when he flood the earth, averybody drownd that was not in the boat. this will be men women and children who die. perhaps men and women are evil but what abaout children. will babys be evil allso?

no let us not put God on trial because the world is evil today. it is difficult to live in this world and go to school. we go to school and think about how good the job we get with education but who want to live in this world when it is very evil?

i dont want to put God on trial, i just want to know some answers.

A

angellous_evangellous

AE, I am surprised at you!!

We have the Bible as evidence of the affair.

:bow:

Ha!

Well, before we go and accuse God of genocide, we should first check to see if one actually happened. Far as I can tell, no cities were conquered by the Israelites as described or commanded in the Hebrew bible. I don't even think that there's evidence that the Jews ever killed people as prescribed by most of the laws. Now, I should say that I've gotten into some rather heated debates about this with some scholars, but the evidence just isn't there IMHO.

The one exception is during the Maccabean revolution, and that was unusual. And the evidence for that is literary and not archaeological.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
You are not grasping the context of the argument. the biblical stories were written out of the ideologies of an elite caste in the ancient near east. and more to the point you are judging a mythological apocalyptic ancient near eastern story with a 21st century humanistic lens, personally to me, as someone who has an interest in researching scriptural topics, this doesnt measure up as a constructive method.

What an incredibly wordy way of not answering the question. Kudos to you.

linwood

Ha!

Well, before we go and accuse God of genocide, we should first check to see if one actually happened. Far as I can tell, no cities were conquered by the Israelites as described or commanded in the Hebrew bible. I don't even think that there's evidence that the Jews ever killed people as prescribed by most of the laws. Now, I should say that I've gotten into some rather heated debates about this with some scholars, but the evidence just isn't there IMHO.

If you keep this up AE I`m going to have to go find me one o` them solo scriptura Christians to argue with!!

:149:

A

angellous_evangellous

I agree that no murder actually took place. I simply don't see how premeditated, intentional killing cannot be described as "murder," whether hypothetical or not.

Well, most people agree that killing in war is *usually* not murder, nor is euthanasia, infanticide or abortion.