• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Didn't the Universe Always Exist?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You forget already, in non-duality, there is no reality, or not reality, all is an indivisible one.

No, that is so to you and your truth. Try selling me something, which is your truth. Or admit that it is the truth for us all.

For which you have to give objective evidence and not just how it makes sense to you.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
Nonsense. Science has taken over many questions that were previously entirely in the domain of speculation and philosophy. Conclusions beased on evidence and testing are always better than baseless speculation..
You would do well to get rid of that "Science rules OK" attitude.
A closed mind finds it hard to learn something new.

Perhaps go and sign-up for a short course in Philosophy .. no? ;)

I didn't say I could.
..so what do you mean by:-
"There is zero reason to believe that space and time have any meaning at all beyond this universe"

That suggests to me, that you think that 'what we observe' in this universe is the only thing that
exists i.e. time and space are a property of this universe and nothing more.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
No, that is so to you and your truth. Try selling me something, which is your truth. Or admit that it is the truth for us all.

For which you have to give objective evidence and not just how it makes sense to you.
You are slow, there is no truth or not truth in non-duality, it is non-dual.

You are using your dualistic mind seeking non-dual. You and I being separate entities does not arise in non-duality. One opinion v another opinion does not arise in non-duality, No concepts arise in non-duality.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You are slow, there is no truth or not truth in non-duality, it is non-dual.

You are using your dualistic mind seeking non-dual. You and I being separate entities does not arise in non-duality. One opinion v another opinion does not arise in non-duality, No concepts arise in non-duality.

Yeah, that is your truth. So stop claiming it is about me in any sense. It is your truth to you. Don't sell that to me!!!
Just let it be about you and do you. Stop selling your truth to me!!!

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Experience, of course .. thought, and a process of elimination .. common sense.
There's your problem. There is no objective process of elimination other than testing and evidence, and there is no reason at all to think that our, very, very limited, experiences and "common sense" would be at all applicable to such fundamental questions like this.

That's a pointless question.
If we had no way of determining for ourselves "what makes sense to us", we would be
blind followers of others.
Nope. We don't have to do either, if we confine ourselves to what is objectively testable.

My mind tells me to have the courage of my convictions .. and never
to stop learning i.e. correct our mistaken assumptions etc.
Without testing and evidence, there is no objective way of detecting or correcting mistakes.

Some in this thread have done, but you think that 'before the big-bang' makes sense .. OK.
I haven't seen them. There have been references to the "standard model" or "according to GR".

I don't know if 'before the big bang' makes sense or not, and neither does anybody else.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
A closed mind finds it hard to learn something new.
Physician, heal thyself. :)

Perhaps go and sign-up for a short course in Philosophy .. no?
Done that, thanks.

..so what do you mean by:-
"There is zero reason to believe that space and time have any meaning at all beyond this universe"
I mean that we are into speculation. After the part you quoted, I explained the various levels of speculation people indulge in.