• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do bad things happen to good people?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Revoltistanian proverb:
Things which happen just happen, & they don't care to whom they happen.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What if there is no way to build a brighter one or put 2 in?
That depends; why is there no way?

If you're talking about reaching the limits of human ability, well, this is a thought experiment. For this discussion, those limits don't matter.

If you're talking about reaching some fundamental limit of how much light can be created - the "absolute brightness" I talked about before - then I'd ask you to justify why you think such a limit exists.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
That depends; why is there no way?

If you're talking about reaching the limits of human ability, well, this is a thought experiment. For this discussion, those limits don't matter.

If you're talking about reaching some fundamental limit of how much light can be created - the "absolute brightness" I talked about before - then I'd ask you to justify why you think such a limit exists.

Light is a wave. The higher the amplitude the brighter the light. Therefore if you filled a room with photons of the highest amplitude possible that would be close to, if not, absolute light.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Light is a wave. The higher the amplitude the brighter the light. Therefore if you filled a room with photons of the highest amplitude possible that would be close to, if not, absolute light.
There isn't a highest amplitude possible, AFAIK. Then again, I'm not entirely sure what the amplitude of a photon corresponds to. Also, it is impossible to fill a room; I can always put more photons in.

9Westy9

Premium Member
There isn't a highest amplitude possible, AFAIK. Then again, I'm not entirely sure what the amplitude of a photon corresponds to. Also, it is impossible to fill a room; I can always put more photons in.

Exactly why absolute light is impossible to physically create. Hypothetically however....

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Exactly why absolute light is impossible to physically create. Hypothetically however....
you're metaphor carries over the properties of the things you are comparing. If the thing you are comparing doesn't behave how you thought it did, your metaphor is rubbish.

9Westy9

Premium Member
you're metaphor carries over the properties of the things you are comparing. If the thing you are comparing doesn't behave how you thought it did, your metaphor is rubbish.

eh? too many big words for me to understand xD

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Wait - so you're imagining some scenario where the room is packed full of photons? How much volume does a photon take up?

What is the "highest amplitude possible" for a photon? Is there one?

9Westy9

Premium Member
Wait - so you're imagining some scenario where the room is packed full of photons? How much volume does a photon take up?

What is the "highest amplitude possible" for a photon? Is there one?

Oh I see. So photons don't actually take up space :facepalm: silly me :p

Good point. It'd be infinity wouldn't it? and as infinity doesn't exist..... hmmm