• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do bad things happen to good people?

BruceDLimber

You still haven't answered what "absolute evil" is.

Simple: there IS no such thing!

I quote the Baha'i scriptures:

"Such an existence is a contingent and not an absolute existence, inasmuch as the former is preceded by a cause, whilst the latter is independent thereof.

"Absolute existence is strictly confined to God, exalted be His glory. Well is it with them that apprehend this truth."

—(Gleanings, page 157)

Just the facts.

Bruce

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

"Such an existence is a contingent and not an absolute existence, inasmuch as the former is preceded by a cause, whilst the latter is independent thereof.

"Absolute existence is strictly confined to God, exalted be His glory. Well is it with them that apprehend this truth."

—(Gleanings, page 157)

Just the facts.

Bruce
This contradicts your argument from before.

If evil is nothing more than the absence of good, then if we consider the whole spectrum of good and evil acts, as we take away good, eventually we'll reach a point where there is no good left to take away. This point would be absolute evil.

So where is it?

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
But the only way this can be consistent with your previous argument is if there is an infinite amount of good to be taken away. In that case, what's the point in worrying about evil?

Then I eagerly await your explanation of what a photon is, and why and how it affects other objects by colliding with them!
It's a fluctauation of the electromagnetic field. Other particles interact with the EM field, and so react to photons coliding with them.

Photonic

Ad astra!

—(Gleanings, page 157)

Just the facts.

Bruce

Still not seeing facts here.

St Giordano Bruno

If one equates a belief in God to goodness I am sure many of those "good" people will get let down more often than those who do not believe in a God at all. One of the greatest delusions people fall into is a belief God will always be looking after them. Bad things happen to theists and atheists alike and a belief in God gives you no immunity for bad things happening to you. But if a bad thing happens to an atheist or a scientific pantheist they will not be tying their minds in a knot making up all kinds of excuses for their God. They just except it happened due to a natural accident or something like that and forget about making excuses for an omnibenevolent God which all too frequently drives many theists insane.