• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Christians believe that Jesus is God?

Bishka

Veteran Member
verita said:
Mat 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah which said, "By hearing you shall hear and shall not understand; and seeing you shall see and shall not perceive; :biglaugh:

So you think it's funny when someone has different beliefs that yours? Do you find it amusing to mock them?

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
People believe that jesus was a god simply because the bible said so. No one ever dared to contest the writings of the bible from the 3rd centruy on. I believe it was the reign of Constantine who used it as a political pawn for his own advancement. Why people believe, close to 2000 years of mind control and behavioral modifications certainly is a hard habit to break.

Not necessarily.

I also believe Jesus is the Christ because of the Book of Mormon and my own experieneces. Not just because a book tells me so. That's most people for you.

Unfortunatley you have a poor, biased view of Christians and can't seem to get past this ignorance to see how most Christians really are.

Ezzedean

Prophet Rashad said:
This is how you know Jesus was God

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]John 1:13 The Word became flesh, and lived among us. We saw his glory, such glory as of the one and only Son of the Father, full of grace and truth.[/FONT]

John copied that from a greek philosopher who said it long before he ever did. I will find out exactly who the philosopher was, but John didn't come up with that or receive it from God, because someone said it long before he did.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Ezzedean said:
John copied that from a greek philosopher who said it long before he ever did. I will find out exactly who the philosopher was, but John didn't come up with that or receive it from God, because someone said it long before he did.

Proof darling, proof. :D

Genna

verita said:
Mat 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah which said, "By hearing you shall hear and shall not understand; and seeing you shall see and shall not perceive; :biglaugh:

yeah......yeah thats real funny!:rolleyes:

Genna

Ezzedean said:

Wait a minute, I thought that all scripture is inspired by God, doesn't it say that somehwhere [in] the scriptures?

Ezzedean

beckysoup61 said:
Proof darling, proof. :D

The words of John 1:1 are acknowledged by most reputable Christian scholar of the Bible as the words of another Jew,Philo of Alexandria (20BC-50AD), who claimed no divine inspiration for them and who wrote them decades before the "gospel of John" was ever conceived. Groliers encyclopedia has the following to say under the heading "Logos"("the word"):
"Heraclitus was the earliest Greek thinker to make logos a central concept ......In the New Testament, the Gospel According to Saint John gives a central place to logos; the biblical author describes the Logos as God, the Creative Word, who took on flesh in the man Jesus Christ. Many have traced John's conception to Greek origins--perhaps through the intermediacy of eclectic texts like the writings of Philo of Alexandria.

Peace and Blessings

Ezzedean

Genna said:
Wait a minute, I thought that all scripture is inspired by God, doesn't it say that somehwhere [in] the scriptures?

Maybe insipired. I can wake up in the morning and write an amazing song and say that God inspired me to write it, but I'm not about to say it's the word of God.

Peace and Blessings

ProfLogic

beckysoup61 said:
Not necessarily.

I also believe Jesus is the Christ because of the Book of Mormon and my own experieneces. Not just because a book tells me so. That's most people for you.

Unfortunatley you have a poor, biased view of Christians and can't seem to get past this ignorance to see how most Christians really are.

There are still a lot of religious people under the total control of their religion. Just today a preacher was arrested and still the followers refuse to give up his teachings. It will take a while for a person under control to realize that thier experiences are part of the control. Now in reference to jesus as god in your experience, how would your experiences make you believe that jesus is a god and not a person who thinks he is a god. There are a lot of documented people that they thought that they were gods to save the world. People labeled then as insane. Is it a sin not to believe that jesus is a god in your religion?

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
There are still a lot of religious people under the total control of their religion.

That is very true, but you cannot lump all of one faith under a banner of bias and judgement.

ProfLogic said:
Just today a preacher was arrested and still the followers refuse to give up his teachings. It will take a while for a person under control to realize that thier experiences are part of the control.

That's nice, but they are an extreme fringest group (FLDS). FLDS is a little different then your normal Christian Church. Again, you are lumping all into one.

ProfLogic said:
Now in reference to jesus as god in your experience, how would your experiences make you believe that jesus is a god and not a person who thinks he is a god.

You wouldn't believe me if I told you, that's why I do not "cast my pearls before swine".

ProfLogic said:
There are a lot of documented people that they thought that they were gods to save the world. People labeled then as insane. Is it a sin not to believe that jesus is a god in your religion?

Why would it be a sin?

ProfLogic

Genna said:

That is what people claim who believe in the teaching of the bible but looking at the origin of the bible which even the believers know, it was compiled 300 years after the last known author was alive, which means the compilers were inspired since they were the ones that put together the bible writings, and numerous translations had occured, which means the translators were are inspired. Scriptures as inspired would be questionable. No one even knew who wrote the original Old Testament, they gave them letters like J.. etc. If the bible was inspired, then the babylonian myths and pagan religion are divinely inspired also since some stories can clearly be associated with stories of the bible.

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
That is what people claim who believe in the teaching of the bible

There you go using assumptions again -- your statements are false. Not all people who believe in the Bible believe it is the unfailing, infalliable, only word of God. How about seperating those from the ones you talk about when you post something.

ProfLogic said:
No one even knew who wrote the original Old Testament, they gave them letters like J.. etc.
Depends on which scholar you believe or talk to

ProfLogic said:
If the bible was inspired, then the babylonian myths and pagan religion are divinely inspired also since some stories can clearly be associated with stories of the bible.

Not unless the Bible is actually older then we think and those babylonian and pagan religions just took the ideas and made them into their own.;)

ProfLogic

beckysoup61 said:
So you think it's funny when someone has different beliefs that yours? Do you find it amusing to mock them?

Isn't that what the foundation of the OT is? Everything that do not believe in it is evil... Needs to be rebuked..... I even hear from the preachers themselves that if one believes different than the teachings of the bible they should be rebuked and label them as misguided souls. The non believers call it as their own self thought process which states they control their own life/destiny, they don't need any self proclaimed god to adore or asks guidance, because the human mind is more powerful than a self proclaimed god.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Christians believe that Jesus is God because the First Council of Nicaea voted on it and made it offical doctrain after Constantine demanded a uniform Christian doctrain with which to reunite Rome.(After all, you can't use a religon to unite if it is divided in its beliefs.)

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
Isn't that what the foundation of the OT is?

No. Apparently you really don't understand the Old Testament

ProfLogic said:
Everything that do not believe in it is evil... Needs to be rebuked..... I even hear from the preachers themselves that if one believes different than the teachings of the bible they should be rebuked and label them as misguided souls.

There you go again, lumping preachers all into one group. Has it ever occured to you that there is more then one group of Christianity?

ProfLogic said:
The non believers call it as their own self thought process which states they control their own life/destiny, they don't need any self proclaimed god to adore or asks guidance, because the human mind is more powerful than a self proclaimed god.

No human mind is greater then God, but then again, what experience do you have with God? None.

Bishka

Veteran Member
spacemonkey said:
Christians believe that Jesus is God because the First Council of Nicaea voted on it and made it offical doctrain after Constantine demanded a uniform Christian doctrain with which to reunite Rome.(After all, you can't use a religon to unite if it is divided in its beliefs.)

Not necessiarily and not all Christians believe the council of Nicaea.

Bishka

Veteran Member
spacemonkey said:
Well, all Christian's who didn't make up there own religion.

Oh, so some Christians faiths are madeup and false then?

I see where you are getting with this.

Just becasue it doesn't have historically connections means it isn't a real Christian faith?

Could you cite me a Bible reference on this one?:areyoucra

ProfLogic

beckysoup61 said:
There you go using assumptions again -- your statements are false. Not all people who believe in the Bible believe it is the unfailing, infalliable, only word of God. How about seperating those from the ones you talk about when you post something.
Let me put it this way, if a person picks and choses parts of the bible, then they are not true believers. If you are a true believer you need to accept the good and bad things written in the bible since the original intention of the bible was for a book that should not be questioned since it is the world of the self proclaimed god for all to be adored.

beckysoup61 said:
Depends on which scholar you believe or talk to

Well no one knew the authors personally so I would believe that no one knew the names of the real authors.

beckysoup61 said:
Not unless the Bible is actually older then we think and those babylonian and pagan religions just took the ideas and made them into their own.;)

Scriptures written I believe not on all stone or clay tablets, versus things written in stone tablets, which one is older? On top of that the NT challenges the OT teachings..... a vengeful god versus a more humane and loving god.