• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Christians value the Bible more than science?

A

angellous_evangellous

Oh. Kay.

You claimed that not everything in the Bible is myth. In that case, may I ask what's in the Bible that represents anything more than how an ancient population defined its place in the universe, using the tools it had at its disposal?

-Nato

You can ask all you want, but I'm not even going to address a question that has no relationship at all to what I've said.

E. Nato Difficile

Well, this is actually what you said:

And very importantly, not everything in the Bible is myth. Just because the authors were not writing from a scientifically enlightened post-modern atheistic point of view does not mean that their understanding of the natural world is completely useless or wrong.

I certainly feel that the Bible has use for literary purposes. Certain parts of the Bible are poetic indeed. But its authors' understanding of the natural world was generally wide of the mark. Is this point really in dispute?

-Nato

idav

Being
Premium Member
Is that point really relevant?
I would think so if trying to compare the bible to science. Science has the advantage in that it has had a long time to gather more evidence and give us more facts to work with. If we were to compare the science of the 1700's it was already giving religion a run for their money as we were discovering causes for diseases other than whatever superstition was around at the time. Nicolas Andry was pioneering the way for germ theory.

Nicolas Andry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The bible is a book written by man, translated by man, and then man decided what went into it. So who has really had more influence on the bible?

earlwooters

If it is written by man, published by man, edited by man, translated by man, chosen by man, rejected by man and accepted by man, then it is accepted as the word of God. Somehow.

earlwooters

There is no comparison. The Bible offers eternal life and science does not. Thats all there is to it. Period. If Christians were not promised eternal life by their masters, they would not be Christians.

connermt

After all, if God created the world directly, with his own hand, which is infallible, but wrote the bible through men, who are fallible, surely science, which looks directly at God's creation, is a superior authority?

Why, then, do many (if not all, at least to some extent) Christians consider the Bible as a greater authority than science, and why do they consider it more valuable?

From my experience from being a christian for decades and my interest in science:
- Nothing in the bible can be proven as having happened or even possible in some circumstances
- The bible was written by men, not a deity
- It's easier to accept the bible, which exists independent of facts, than science because the bible requires little brain power but a lot of faith
- Science is the opposite - it requires little faith and a lot of brain power, data and facts/theories
- People WANT the bible to be true because they have made it fit their own needs (because it needs no facts just belief) and science can threaten the believers' belief system