• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Christians value the Bible more than science?

DavyCrocket2003

This gets awfully close to the greater debate of "Why the humanities?" I am a scientist at heart. I love math. I love physics. I love cosmology and geology. I am a chemistry undergrad. But these things alone are insufficient for us. Religion is a part of a category of things that try to say something about the meaning of life and our moral obligations as human beings. Sure, you don't need to be religious to have a strong moral framework and experience happiness. But science is ill equipped to answer questions like: "What should I do with my life? How can I best achieve happiness? How can I form rich and meaningful relationships with others? Why should I form relationships with others? Is there any kind of greater story beyond birth, life and death of a particular species of apes that for some reason developed intelligence and consciousness?

For these kinds of questions, you have to turn to sources other than science. And a lot of people turn to religion.

.Frame.

Title pending.
This gets awfully close to the greater debate of "Why the humanities?" I am a scientist at heart. I love math. I love physics. I love cosmology and geology. I am a chemistry undergrad. But these things alone are insufficient for us. Religion is a part of a category of things that try to say something about the meaning of life and our moral obligations as human beings. Sure, you don't need to be religious to have a strong moral framework and experience happiness. But science is ill equipped to answer questions like: "What should I do with my life? How can I best achieve happiness? How can I form rich and meaningful relationships with others? Why should I form relationships with others? Is there any kind of greater story beyond birth, life and death of a particular species of apes that for some reason developed intelligence and consciousness?

For these kinds of questions, you have to turn to sources other than science. And a lot of people turn to religion.

Like, a God of the gaps sort of thing?

That's not a criticism, by the way (although I do have my complaints with the God of the gaps idea which I may or may not voice later on, depending on whether it seems appropriate to do so) I just wondered if that's what you meant or if I've got the wrong idea.

idav

Being
Premium Member
But science is ill equipped to answer questions like: "What should I do with my life? How can I best achieve happiness? How can I form rich and meaningful relationships with others? Why should I form relationships with others? Is there any kind of greater story beyond birth, life and death of a particular species of apes that for some reason developed intelligence and consciousness?
Actually science can provide some great answers for the bold. The last question is speculative to the flavor of your religion so I'd hardly say it there is a clear difinitive answer for it but science certainly has provided a lot of answers about where we come from and how we got here.

thebigpicture

No, it's safe to say that we should question everything in the Bible. I, however, agree with all of it.

Wow. All. You said all. You “agree with all of it.” So, let me get this straight. Amongst other things:

You believe that a fish swallowed a man; swum around with said man in his belly for three days, spat him out and the man ended up on shore -- living to tell the story of the lesson he learned: don’t try to avoid your spiritual duties or it’ll get you kicked off a boat and into the belly of a big fish for three days.

You believe that the entire world was completely under water (mountains and all) and that a man (along with his family) somehow was able to get thousands of pairs of animals all on one big boat where they all ate, pooped, peed, drank and co-existed in complete harmony until the all-clear was given to the man via a little birdie. And that the rainbow is in the sky ‘til this very day to act as a symbol that it will never happen again.

You believe that a woman named Eve was deceived by a serpent into eating a fruit from a forbidden tree and that she in turn persuaded her husband to do the same and because of that -- women suffer from child-birth pain, men farm, and snakes crawl on the ground.

You believe that a woman, who had never before in her life had sex, was somehow able to have sex with the most holy of spiritual beings and have a physical son who later died, came right back to life and saved us all.

You believe a mere human being can physically fight an angel...and win.

You believe that a human can turn a rod into a snake.

You believe that a whole bunch of people got together one day and decided they were going to build a tower to reach Heaven and in order to stop them, their languages were suddenly made different and that that’s most likely the reason different cultures speak different languages today.

You believe that an all-knowing, all-seeing, all-hearing, all-present, all-powerful being somehow decides to makes his worst enemy his right-hand man only to kick him out (when the enemy behaves in the predictable way expected) and have that enemy disrupt and wreak pure havoc on all the other creations.

You believe -- well, I’m sure you get the point.

Everything’s that said to be just and right in the bible is indeed just and right in your eyes; all the contradictions are perfectly sensible, reasonable and justified. It all makes perfect sense to you and you “agree with all of it

Hmmm. Okay.

Adonis65

Even that the world is 6000-40000 years old and that some bearded dude made a giant wooden boat and put two of every animal on board?

The scriptures say nothing of the world's age, as far as I'm aware.

That "bearded dude" had a name. Would you like me to tell you what his name was?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
The scriptures say nothing of the world's age, as far as I'm aware.

That "bearded dude" had a name. Would you like me to tell you what his name was?

Noah.... I know.

They do however say the world flooded which is unreasonable to belief unless you twist scripture to suit a scientifically acceptable interpretation.

Adonis65

Noah.... I know.

They do however say the world flooded which is unreasonable to belief unless you twist scripture to suit a scientifically acceptable interpretation.

How have the scriptures been twisted? You make it sound as if the Bible is completely dependant on anti-theist approval. That's absurd. :rolleyes:

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
How have the scriptures been twisted? You make it sound as if the Bible is completely dependant on anti-theist approval. That's absurd. :rolleyes:

Because before geology people believed the whole earth was covered in water. These days because such a belief is absurd people often believe the flood was regional (such as the region Noah lived in) because its easier to argue scientifically.

The bible only requires anti-theist approval when biblical accounts try and compete with scientific fact.

sniper762

ew, dates that jesus was born (0 ce), king david and king solomon reigned (10 century bc), date that moses lived (15th century bc), and the date that adam was created (4000bc).

look em up

otokage007

After all, if God created the world directly, with his own hand, which is infallible, but wrote the bible through men, who are fallible, surely science, which looks directly at God's creation, is a superior authority?

Why, then, do many (if not all, at least to some extent) Christians consider the Bible as a greater authority than science, and why do they consider it more valuable?

Because science tells them they will rot forever once they die. On the other hand the Bible tells them they will live forever.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
After all, if God created the world directly, with his own hand, which is infallible, but wrote the bible through men, who are fallible, surely science, which looks directly at God's creation, is a superior authority?

Why, then, do many (if not all, at least to some extent) Christians consider the Bible as a greater authority than science, and why do they consider it more valuable?

Science constantly evolves and in many cases contradicts it's self.

Science said we where headed for an ice age not too long ago.

Science said we where headed for global warming.

Science said we now have climate change.

Right or wrong, the Bible remains unchanged for thousands of years.

The bottom line is, science does not know many things they declare they do.

They speak of the big bang but cannot explain the cause of the bang.

When you speak from authority about things you have no clue about, it discounts your position.

Science never says, "We have no idea". Science does however always take a stab at answering everything in a best guess fashion.

Evolution would be much more believable if we had fossils of animals in transition.

I'm not saying evolution did not occur. I'm saying belief in the unprovable is not much different than religion.

My position is, science is a religion.

The advantage science has over religion is, it is constantly evolving which on the surface makes it more relevant until you consider the fact that every time science changes it's theory, they are admitting they where wrong before.

Back then however, they refuse to admit they where wrong.

I believe the current science theory will be proven wrong later by something else.

This is why I have little respect for something that is constantly wrong while remaining condescending and stilted.

People can poke fun at religion all they like but until we can read thousand year old science books that are still correct, I remain unimpressed.