• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Christians value the Bible more than science?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
just because we desire doesn't make it real...

if we are a regular organism like every other regular organism, we shouldnt even have such desire

Our one purpose in life should be to breed. End of story. But human life does not behave the way every other organism behaves. We dont have the inbuilt instincts for a start, we start life empty and slowly build our knowledge through learning....all other animals know where they are going to live, when and to where they will migrate, what sort of foods they will eat, who are their predators etc etc etc

We dont.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Hah! The poor are surviving in droves....their ranks are swelling.

there are far more poor dying in droves then rich people surviving. Isnt is something like a million children die every day in poverty stricken countries because they dont have access to fresh water or medicines?

but you dont even have to live in a 3rd world to die from lack of medical help... even in the developed world the poor miss out on medical help which is available to them if they can pay for it.

Dont let all our fabulous technology fool you into thinking we've created a better world.

waitasec

Veteran Member
if we are a regular organism like every other regular organism, we shouldnt even have such desire
because we have a desire there is a purpose for having the capacity to want? better get used to disappointment... if that is the purpose ;)

Our one purpose in life should be to breed. End of story.
no, it's survival...but of course breeding is apart of that... nonetheless, we want to live

But human life does not behave the way every other organism behaves. We dont have the inbuilt instincts for a start, we start life empty and slowly build our knowledge through learning....
i disagree. our adrenal glands are too big for our bodies, without it, we wouldn't have the fight or flight response, an instinctual ability we have that is also killing us...stress is the #1 killer.

all other animals know where they are going to live, when and to where they will migrate, what sort of foods they will eat, who are their predators etc etc etc

We dont.

yes we do... we have the ability to reason ourselves into questionable situations...and improvise our way out of them.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
I think the ambiguity depends on who you get your information from ;)

why depend on another source for information other than ones own life experience.

todays society isnt concerned with survival of the fittest...its more like survival of the richest.
actually not everyone is immune to a pandemic... there are those who have stronger antibodies than others...money can improve the quality of life but it can't buy you life... besides you find this idea even in religion...the fittest survive.

that makes all our advancement and technology completely useless and empty.
exactly. life is indifferent...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
there are far more poor dying in droves then rich people surviving. Isnt is something like a million children die every day in poverty stricken countries because they dont have access to fresh water or medicines?
I was being provincial, speaking just of North America. But even in the poorest of countries, their populations are growing.

Dont let all our fabulous technology fool you into thinking we've created a better world.
"Better" is a subjective thing. I'd only say it's better for those of us who view it that
way. And I also think people put much hope into letting technology solve societal ills.

imaginaryme

why not?

because for some strange reason we have an inbuilt desire to live forever.
We do?
We memorialize our dead and live like we will never die. If we are no different to any other creature, then we are doing what is completely unnatural for any creature.

So there must be more to us then that. And God has explained that there is more to us then that. We have been created in his image. That explains perfectly why we view everlasting life as possible. It explains why we have teachings in all our religions that we never really die...we live on in other forms according to all the great religions.
We memorialize our dead 'cause we dumb, and young as a species. There is no point to "life, everlasting;" there's all kinds of points in complexity. To think of "everlasting life as possible" is, to me, to engage in the art of not thinking. I am living on in another form; right here, right now, through the clarity of science, thought, and reason. And I do not have to judge you, I am whatever you say I am; and whatever I am to you, I can never know.

I know that we dumb, and young as a species. Social animals, a perfect explanation...

Adonis65

Adonis65, let me say that your backbone is quite refreshing. We live in a world where there is a lot of bandwagoning. The fact that you’re willing to stand on your own two feet without caring less if it’s popular or not -- I commend you for it.

With that stated...

I have a question for you...Do you think it’s okay to question the bible? If so, to what extent. If not, why?

I think it's important to question everything, including the Bible. How else can we discover the truth?

.Frame.

Title pending.

You refer to the innate behavior of humans (memorialising the dead, for example) in your argument for an afterlife, then claim we don't operate on instinct. Any innate behavior is an instinct, pretty much by definition.

That one of our instincts is to learn and grow, explore ideas and discover truths doesn't really mean anything. Our nature is still built on instinct. Besides, plenty of other creatures learn about their environment and have complex social structures which are constantly changing over time to incorporate new ideas (these are not simply instinctive in the same way as a spider building a web is).

Our human nature - curious, moralistic, compassionate, intelligent, logical, social, loyal, not to mention being fascinated with spiritual, moral and philisophical questions, has served us well throughout our history. Civilisations have been built, united and maintained on the basis of these human traits and on these ideas.

It's not difficult, surely, to see how these tendencies may have been of an evolutionary advantage to modern humans.

You either have to accept that there is a good basis by which our nature could have given us evolutionary advantages or you have to admit that these traits don't actually do us any good, in which case, why do you praise them so highly?

As an additional point, it's worth noting that elephants have been well documented as memorialising their dead (look it up. I'm serious.). Chimpanzees have also been seen to display signs of grief and anguish towards death, which may not be 'memorialising' but even if it isn't, it's certainly not a long way off, in evolutionary terms, for that behavior to take the form of long term grief.

The longer and more intense the grief, as we all know to be the trade off in life, the more powerful the bond between the individuals involved. You surely wouldn't deny that, even in purely animalistic terms, there is a distinct advantage in the societal structures we have built up on the basis of our strong and powerful bonds as human beings.

I think it's wrong to make out that human beings are somehow special and gifted in a way that other animals aren't. I agree that we have particular advantages and traits that other animals do not and that we should use those to their fullest potential, but this shouldn't convince us that we are somehow special, that the universe revolves miraculously around us. It's akin, I think, to suggesting that God owes us something.

As for death, it makes sense that we die, and it makes sense that we don't want to die. If didn't die, we'd be grossly overpopulated and would suffer for it, and if we didn't mind dying we'd just let it happen and all be dead. Where's the mystery in that?

Last edited:

earlwooters

The Bible tells them that they will live forever, if they do as the "church" orders them to. The promise of a life after death has made many a holy man a really good living, and many very wealthy. Science offers only death. People will give all they have if someone promises them life after death.

AmbiguousGuy

The Bible tells them that they will live forever, if they do as the "church" orders them to. The promise of a life after death has made many a holy man a really good living, and many very wealthy. Science offers only death. People will give all they have if someone promises them life after death.

Faith healers make a pretty penny, too.

idea

Question Everything
Why, then, do many (if not all, at least to some extent) Christians consider the Bible more valuable?

The Bible teaches us how to interact with one another (10 commandments - don't lie, don't steal, don't kill one another... up to love your neighbor)... imo, it is more important to understand how to interact / form meaningful relationships with one another, than it is to understand why the sun rises in the morning. In short - people are more important than things.... "things" are interesting to study, that is all fine and well, but people are more important...

idea

Question Everything

It is more than just an eternal existence... heaven or hell, these are both eternal... the point is to learn how to love, to experience that which transcends the materialistic existence.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Why is it always about money with you? I can point to MANY clergy who are living lower than middle-class. I can point to a lot of churches that are dying due to lack of money. Besides, money is completely off-topic here.

earlwooters

Christians believe in the Bible because they are afraid of dying like most other people. The Bible promises them eternal life if they obey and believe. Science says you just die. There is no direct evidence to support or disprove either view. Christians don't value the Bible because it makes scientific sense, but because it gives them a little hope that they actually won't die. You don't see a whole lot of Christians dying to get into heaven. They will fight for life just as hard as an atheist. Is that better Soj?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
No, it's safe to say that we should question everything in the Bible. I, however, agree with all of it.

Even that the world is 6000-40000 years old and that some bearded dude made a giant wooden boat and put two of every animal on board?

horizon_mj1

The Bible teaches us how to interact with one another (10 commandments - don't lie, don't steal, don't kill one another... up to love your neighbor)... imo, it is more important to understand how to interact / form meaningful relationships with one another, than it is to understand why the sun rises in the morning. In short - people are more important than things.... "things" are interesting to study, that is all fine and well, but people are more important...

It is more than just an eternal existence... heaven or hell, these are both eternal... the point is to learn how to love, to experience that which transcends the materialistic existence.
So the existence of people is what you believe to be important; without Science you would not have the proper tools for Humanity to live long and healthy lives. I see also you believe in "eternal existence...Heaven or Hell"; do you know where in Existence they are? You cannot ignore Historical Facts of the people who plundered and pillaged their way to remain one of Histories most manipulative people making a story of their lives seem as though what was done was in fact good. I will however say the people who interpret these stories do in fact seem to at least try and do the right things;)