• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do most people assume God is benevolent?

cottage

"Theism" isn't a religion anymore than atheism is.

Right. It simply makes the distinction between monotheism and polytheism. The Judeo/Christian/Islamic beliefs (to which I am referring) all share the notion that God is merciful, though in response to the contradiction it is said that his purpose is not understood.

Cottage

rojse

RF Addict
Right. It simply makes the distinction between monotheism and polytheism. The Judeo/Christian/Islamic beliefs (to which I am referring) all share the notion that God is merciful, though in response to the contradiction it is said that his purpose is not understood.

Cottage

There are other theistic religions that don't fit under the Abrahamic umbrella, though.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
He accidentally made a poor choice of words, but I thought his point was clear enough: There is a distinct concept of benevolence ascribed to God by many adherents of the monotheistic faith of Christianity (I do not know for sure whether Islam or Judaism considers God to be benevolent.)

cottage

He accidentally made a poor choice of words, but I thought his point was clear enough: There is a distinct concept of benevolence ascribed to God by many adherents of the monotheistic faith of Christianity (I do not know for sure whether Islam or Judaism considers God to be benevolent.)

Ah! thank you.

If I might just add that the Torah describes a merciful and compassionate God. And Islamic beliefs include forgiveness and mercy; in the Quran it is written: 'in the name of God, the merciful'.

Cottage

logician

Again, there is no evidence whatsoever that one can determine if some god, if it exists, that it is solely benevolent. There seems to be much more that would say it tend towards malevolence.

cottage

Again, there is no evidence whatsoever that one can determine if some god, if it exists, that it is solely benevolent. There seems to be much more that would say it tend towards malevolence.

There is an abundance of factual evidence that shows there is no benevolent God.

Cottage

rojse

RF Addict
There is an abundance of factual evidence that shows there is no benevolent God.

Cottage

If you really want to go down this road, where is the evidence that proves God exists at all, never mind his personal attributes?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
If you really want to go down this road, where is the evidence that proves God exists at all, never mind his personal attributes?
I'd still like to know where the evidence is that proves God does not exist at all...

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Exactly.
But this point, though valid, doesn't explain why some people do ascribe benevolence to God.

cottage

There is none that I'm aware of (leaving aside the classic ontological, cosmological and teleological 'proofs', all of which have their respective difficulties). Nor can we assert 'There is no God' if (and only if) the concept is logically possible. And it is upon this point that the supposed attribute of benevolence demonstrates that such a God cannot logically exist.

Cottage

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Indeed! I entirely agree with all the above. There is no thought or action that is without a selfish element. And no exceptions.
Stop projecting...

Provide it...

edit:
As for why I assume that God is benevolent... in all my experiences with Him that is an apt description of what He has been...

Last edited:

cottage

Stop projecting...

'Projecting'! It's not projection, it's a logical truth. Give me just one example of a thought or action that doesn't have a selfish element to it.
Provide it...

The Tsunami; the Holocaust; 911; cancer; rape; murder; infant mortality; the Plague...

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
It's not projection, it's a logical truth. Give me just one example of a thought or action that doesn't have a selfish element to it.
Someone helps someone without any selfish motivation... for example, a guy lends someone some money, just because they ask. I've done it :shrug:

The Tsunami; the Holocaust; 911; cancer; rape; murder; infant mortality; the Plague...
How do these things disprove a benevolent God?

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Someone helps someone without any selfish motivation... for example, a guy lends someone some money, just because they ask. I've done it :shrug:
The Joey syndrom..
Was this "someone" a random person or family/friend/'friend'?
If it was a random person, did you feel good about yourself that you did this act?