• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do most people have a survival instinct instead of committing suicide ?

Massimo2002

Most people seem to me to want to survive and live to see tomorrow no matter how ****ty there existence is or what problems they have but why don't more or most people instead commit suicide what stops most people from going there ?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I hear the word psychiatry and alarm bells go off to me psychiatry is a militant version of psychology.
Sharing my anecdotal experience, it took me nearly 10 years to get help. And a few years in I'm barely sticking around in psychiatry this time. Hoping to get a year in and then go from there.

I get the fear. But I just want to say psychiatry is changing and saving my life. It is giving me the life that I thought I would never get. Just a life of normalcy.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Most people seem to me to want to survive and live to see tomorrow no matter how ****ty there existence is or what problems they have but why don't more or most people instead commit suicide what stops most people from going there ?

I got myself into a bad situation and considered suicide as an escape.

What stopped me was friends intervening in the situation.

I had 2 years of therapy afterwards and still i occasion wake screaming from vivid dreams of the situation.

Following that experience i can honestly say, no matter how bad it seems, being alive is the better of the 2 alternatives.

However, if the situation had continued i doubt id be here to write this.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I don't think it's really psychology but physiology. All living things are built to survive, and it takes massive effort to over right that instinct.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Suicide just seems to be a rush into another set of problems when the lights go on with some exceptions of course.

The drive for self preservation is an evolutionary trait that I think is more pronounced than others who may not have as strong sense of self preservation.

I think the desire you speak of is just a product of nature where some have more drive and some less of a drive.

wellwisher

We have two centers of consciousness, the inner self and the ego. The ego tends to be more unnatural and will do unnatural things like suicide and abortion. The inner self is more natural, being a long term product of evolution. You cannot evolve if you kill yourself. You will not be selected unless you find a way to survive. A key lesson of evolution for selective advantages.

The problem for the ego is technology is making it too easy to kill yourself, allowing the ego to override the inner self instinct to survive. If the ego had to beat itself to death, with its own fists, it would tire first, and get past the blockage; enough time for the inner self to calm the ego down.

Ego centric suicide, is really an effort to shut off the ego, since that is the center of the external learning, which has brought the ego to this unnatural place in its head. It would be good if we knew how to get the inner self, to reboot the ego, and scramble the ego's negative fixation; born again feeling.

The born again feeling often happens when the ego hangs on, but hits rock bottom. It is the humbling of the ego's will, that appears to trigger the inners self to reboot, scramble and then rebuild. This is why prayer humbles the ego to God; ego to inner self.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

For me, it's knowing death is inevitable and there will be an end. The potential loss of experiences and a natural survival instinct tell me to push along because there's always the potential for something interesting and death will always be there anyway.

It's like slogging through a mucky, swampy trail just based on the potential of a beautiful woodland glen ahead.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Who defines that you ?
Medicine, researchers, people who actually work in the healthcare field and have more exposure to it than you.
Because most of us aren't wallowing in self pitty and we're out their living our lives amd enjoying this precious, sacred time we have.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I hear the word psychiatry and alarm bells go off to me psychiatry is a militant version of psychology.
Not at all. Psychiatrists are MDs who specialize in treating mental illness. A psychologist has a PHd or PsyD amd they most access people and typically don't do therapy (tlat least not much of it) A therapist is most often and typically has a masters degree.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
It's pretty cut and dry evolution. People who stay alive make babies and pass on their DNA. People who are dead don't. IOW an instinct to survive is adaptive, and an urge to commit suicide is not.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

The obvious explanation is that evolution favors individuals that want to live.

On a personal psychological level, I would say that people always live with the hope that "tomorrow will be better then today".
Sometimes it is false hope. But it is what keeps us going.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Both psychiatry and psychology are extremely helpful developments. If you go back to the 1800s, people were imprisoned in the most awful of asylums. The reasons ranged from psychosis to women arguing with their husbands. If someone was depressed due to life circumstances, there was no one for them to talk to. If someone felt compelled to wash their hands every five minutes, there was no relief. If someone heard voices telling them to kill themselves, there was no help for that.

As time went on, scientific method was applied more and more, until today where both psychiatry and psychology are based on valid scientific studies. We have medications known to give relief for delusions and hallucinations. We have forms of therapy like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy that have been proven to help depression and anxiety.

Thank God for psychiatry and psychology.