• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people believe what they do?

Simplelogic

Just wondering what people's thoughts were on why we follow the religions we do. Below is one take on the matter.

"Have you ever wondered why people believe what they do? There are so many differing ideas as to what the truth is that logic would tell us there must be an immense amount of error in the world. Yet it seems that the best most religious leaders can do is specialize in exposing the errors of others. We've all seen it. Let's take for example three differing theologies and label them doctrines A, B, & C. All three have some truth and some error. Doctrine A specializes in exposing errors in the doctrines of B and C, and the vast majority of those who were born into A and raised as A remain A for the rest of their lives. Doctrine B specializes in the errors A and C, and C points out the errors of A and B. Occasionally, two will unite against the other. A and B will team up against the errors of C on which they agree, but virtually no A's convert to B's, or B's to A's. B and C will occasionally join forces against A's errors and so on. It would seem that everyone can see the errors with everyone else but themselves. The fact remains that very very few convert to something different from what they were born and raised into. This is true of every religion. Christians remain Christians, Jews remain Jews, and Moslems remain Moslems. Catholic Christians remain Catholic, Baptist-Baptist, and Lutheran-Lutheran. Ultra orthodox Jews remain Ultra orthodox, Orthodox- Orthodox, and Reformed- Reformed. The identical is true of the many factions of Islam, and every other ideology on earth.

So why do people really believe what they do? It should be apparent that the reason the majority of people believe what they do is for sociological reasons. Most people can be taught to believe just about anything if the acceptance of friends or especially family is at stake. Once people are secure in their surroundings, many of them don't really care what the truth is. But among those who have the courage to care, for many of them, if changing their mind means it will cost them the respect of family, and friends, then it is too much to consider. Of the small percentage of those who do choose to cross a line and pay the price of rejection, the vast majority do so for the purpose of being accepted into a new group or family. Most of us have seen numerous cases where a man or a woman will change their faith so they can marry someone of a different faith. But even in this, people remain within their general faith system. Christians generally move to another branch of Christianity, Jews to another branch of Judaism and so on. Very very few move to a completely different faith system, and those that do, again, do it mainly for acceptance reasons. It seems that true objectivity in searching for the truth is of little serious consideration. In a marriage, the decision on which way the couple will go seems to always land in favor of the one who has the most to lose if they were to change.

Many people have made significant sacrifices over time to support a certain belief system where they are accepted and held in high esteem. These people are the most unlikely to consider possible errors in their particular belief system no matter what the facts are. The greater the sacrifices a person has made in time and money for the institution they are attached to, the greater the unlikelihood that they will ever be able to consider error. For them, there is simply too much to turn their back on and walk away from. No one wants to admit that their blood-sweat and tears have been for naught."
Preface

Tumah

Veteran Member
The fact remains that very very few convert to something different from what they were born and raised into. This is true of every religion. Christians remain Christians, Jews remain Jews, and Moslems remain Moslems. Catholic Christians remain Catholic, Baptist-Baptist, and Lutheran-Lutheran. Ultra orthodox Jews remain Ultra orthodox, Orthodox- Orthodox, and Reformed- Reformed. The identical is true of the many factions of Islam, and every other ideology on earth.
I wonder how that squares with the Ba'al Teshuvah Moevement.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Are you suggesting that similar movements have not happened within Christianity or Islam?
I'm sure I have no idea.
But its clear that the suggestion that the denomination (or lack thereof) that one was born into is not nearly set in stone as this essay suggests.

Simplelogic

I'm sure I have no idea.
But its clear that the suggestion that the denomination (or lack thereof) that one was born into is not nearly set in stone as this essay suggests.
You are equating two different things. The article is talking about RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. Not secular people coming back to religion.

Tumah

Veteran Member
You are equating two different things. The article is talking about RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. Not secular people coming back to religion.
That is neither the title of the essay nor does it matter in terms of the answer. Unless you are going to claim that only religious people do things because of sociological reasons.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Many people believe what they do, because they're told to, and peer pressure to have a label.

Yet there are those who question all beliefs for themselves, and come to their own understanding, without the need of labels.

It is far easier to choose the right way, when you're not part of the herd heading for destruction. ;)

Simplelogic

That is neither the title of the essay nor does it matter in terms of the answer. Unless you are going to claim that only religious people do things because of sociological reasons.
The article is obviously referring to people who grow up with a certain form of religion. Not going to follow you down this rabbit trail.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
People believe simply because it is easier. It is far more time consuming and requires more effort to figure things out then believe.

People believe because they really don't care about the answer
People believe because there is a long history of success with the belief
People believe because it gives them a familiar support group

As long as you don't make your belief truth there is no downside. The problems occur when people confuse belief as truth. You can believe what ever you want but you need to research the truth.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Just wondering what people's thoughts were on why we follow the religions we do.
Well, there are many reasons but I think the things you talk about in the OP are reasons in decline. In the modern world where so much diversity and information is blasted at us and education is pretty much universal people are increasingly moving away from their family's traditional faith. Perhaps they hold some ties for weddings, funerals, etc. but the depth of the tie is just not there. Many people are in a 'I believe in something' state but keep it vague and don't explore with any zeal.

For me personally (raised Catholic and now an Advaita Hindu), my reasons are evidence based. I became interested in things colloquially called paranormal. This led me to the tradition (eastern/Indian) that I objectively concluded best understands and explains the true nature of reality. So, my reason for believing what I do came from my personal investigation. My reasons are probably not the most common but for some reason I have a beyond the normal zeal for these subjects.

Simplelogic

Well, there are many reasons but I think the things you talk about in the OP are reasons in decline. In the modern world where so much diversity and information is blasted at us and education is pretty much universal people are increasingly moving away from their family's traditional faith. Perhaps they hold some ties for weddings, funerals, etc. but the depth of the tie is just not there. Many people are in a 'I believe in something' state but keep it vague and don't explore with any zeal.

For me personally (raised Catholic and now an Advaita Hindu), my reasons are evidence based. I became interested in things colloquially called paranormal. This led me to the tradition (eastern/Indian) that I objectively concluded best understands and explains the true nature of reality. So, my reason for believing what I do came from my personal investigation. My reasons are probably not the most common but for some reason I have a beyond the normal zeal for these subjects.
I do think that access to information is beginning to change the tide. Also, its wonderful to hear about your personal pursuit for truth.

catch22

People believe simply because it is easier. It is far more time consuming and requires more effort to figure things out then believe.

People believe because they really don't care about the answer
People believe because there is a long history of success with the belief
People believe because it gives them a familiar support group

As long as you don't make your belief truth there is no downside. The problems occur when people confuse belief as truth. You can believe what ever you want but you need to research the truth.

My IQ just dropped.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
My reasons are experienced based. I experience something and I try to understand the truth of that experience. Religions claim to have answers, science on the other hand really doesn't address the subjective experience.

So many religions for me, but never settling on any one because too much doubt. Too much desire of validation. A lack of faith. Every time I think I'm on solid ground, something knocks it out from under me.

So maybe time to stop looking for solid ground. A is wrong, B is wrong, C is wrong in some sense. It's a lot easier to question the beliefs you are not standing on.

Belief is about the quality of your experience in life. Maybe nothing more than that. You can believe yourself right and everyone else wrong. I'm right, your wrong, it makes me happy.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The fact remains that very very few convert to something different from what they were born and raised into.

Might want to read this:

Faith in Flux | Pew Research Center

Or just look at this:

1-1.gif

Yup. I think that speaks for itself, yes?

Something we all might want to ask ourselves: why do we tell the narrative about belief that we do? What does it say about us? Because in the absence of actual data – properly gathered statistical data done with the awesome of science – the narratives construct here says much more about us than about anything else. So what does the narrative we construct say about us? What does it say about how we think about ourselves? What does it say about how we think about "religious people?"

The best way to find out why someone is as they are is to ask them. Ask them about their past, and what elements of their past led them to where they are now. Because that is, ultimately, what makes us who we are in the present. People do what they do - whether it is a belief or practice - because of what happened to them in the past. The narrative the article tells seems.... I don't know... it sounds a tad negatively judgmental? Because of that, I'm not a fan of the story. That, and very little of it applies to me, it seems. Not atypical, because experiential, mystery religions pretty much don't exist in the minds of the American people. *shrug*

Simplelogic

My reasons are experienced based. I experience something and I try to understand the truth of that experience. Religions claim to have answers, science on the other hand really doesn't address the subjective experience.

So many religions for me, but never settling on any one because too much doubt. Too much desire of validation. A lack of faith. Every time I think I'm on solid ground, something knocks it out from under me.

So maybe time to stop looking for solid ground. A is wrong, B is wrong, C is wrong in some sense. It's a lot easier to question the beliefs you are not standing on.

Belief is about the quality of your experience in life. Maybe nothing more than that. You can believe yourself right and everyone else wrong. I'm right, your wrong, it makes me happy.
Well said. Thank you for sharing.

Simplelogic

Might want to read this:

Faith in Flux | Pew Research Center

Or just look at this:

1-1.gif

Yup. I think that speaks for itself, yes?

Something we all might want to ask ourselves: why do we tell the narrative about belief that we do? What does it say about us? Because in the absence of actual data – properly gathered statistical data done with the awesome of science – the narratives construct here says much more about us than about anything else. So what does the narrative we construct say about us? What does it say about how we think about ourselves? What does it say about how we think about "religious people?"

The best way to find out why someone is as they are is to ask them. Ask them about their past, and what elements of their past led them to where they are now. Because that is, ultimately, what makes us who we are in the present. People do what they do - whether it is a belief or practice - because of what happened to them in the past. The narrative the article tells seems.... I don't know... it sounds a tad negatively judgmental? Because of that, I'm not a fan of the story. That, and very little of it applies to me, it seems. Not atypical, because experiential, mystery religions pretty much don't exist in the minds of the American people. *shrug*
Thanks for sharing.