• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people deny or have various doubts about God?

dust1n

Zindīq
You do not know if any dating technique using elemental isotopes decays at the same rates over time. You have no way of verifying that. Any claim that it is, is just a claim. There is no evidence to support this claim of yours.

Wait, are you contesting the legitimacy of radioactivity? :rolleyes:

You do not know the amount of carbon isotopes, or carbon that was in the atmosphere long ago, or any other substance for that matter. You never will. And so you have no base line for comparison. It is all lies. Sophisticated lies, to support a needless job.

What are you talking about. Carbon? No one uses that except for relatively young organic matter.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I didn't know that. Please explain how that is so?

Impossible, because it would need an unworkably huge conspiracy involving scientists and technicians from an amazing variety of backgrounds and ideologies. If we had anywhere near the capability for such unified purpose we would probably be sustainable in energy by this point, and poverty would be a thing of the past.

And pointless, because there is no reason to attempt such a thing. Even if it were necessary, it would attain nothing of use.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Of course. You can't fear what doesn't exist, right?

That, and even if he did exist, he would be either ok with me or unworthy of my attention. Or perhaps both, I guess.

The bottom line is that it is inherently absurd for one such as me to fear God's judgement, any way you slice it.

Sonofason

Wait, are you contesting the legitimacy of radioactivity? :rolleyes:

What are you talking about. Carbon? No one uses that except for relatively young organic matter.

Well, you certainly cannot prove that radioactive isotopes decay at the same rates over time. You cannot say with any certainty that Uranium isotopes decay at the same rate today as they did 2 billion years ago. You just can't do it. It is impossible for you to know that. It is impossible for anyone to know it. You can't even say they decay today at the same rate they did 10 thousand years ago.

Sonofason

Impossible, because it would need an unworkably huge conspiracy involving scientists and technicians from an amazing variety of backgrounds and ideologies. If we had anywhere near the capability for such unified purpose we would probably be sustainable in energy by this point, and poverty would be a thing of the past.

And pointless, because there is no reason to attempt such a thing. Even if it were necessary, it would attain nothing of use.

That is quite a speculation. Do you have any evidence to offer to support this claim of yours?

Sonofason

That, and even if he did exist, he would be either ok with me or unworthy of my attention. Or perhaps both, I guess.

The bottom line is that it is inherently absurd for one such as me to fear God's judgement, any way you slice it.

Well, I wish you the best of luck.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Well, you certainly cannot prove that radioactive isotopes decay at the same rates over time.

That is a lie, you know.

There is such a thing as measurements.

Unless you mean "you cannot prove" in the same sense that one cannot "prove" basically anything?

You cannot say with any certainty that Uranium isotopes decay at the same rate today as they did 2 billion years ago. You just can't do it. It is impossible for you to know that. It is impossible for anyone to know it. You can't even say they decay today at the same rate they did 10 thousand years ago.

We can make estimates by various means and compare and calibrate them with each other, for one.

I am not well aware of the details, but I know that there are a lot of ingenuous techniques for solving such doubts.

Unless you are in effect complaining that humans lack omniscience, that is as good as it gets.

Sonofason

That is a lie, you know.

There is such a thing as measurements.

Unless you mean "you cannot prove" in the same sense that one cannot "prove" basically anything?

We can make estimates by various means and compare and calibrate them with each other, for one.

I am not well aware of the details, but I know that there are a lot of ingenuous techniques for solving such doubts.

Unless you are in effect complaining that humans lack omniscience, that is as good as it gets.

What do you mean, "estimates"?
What do you mean, "calibrate"?

Why do you need to manipulate the data?

Sonofason

Why do you think I should even worry?

Because Jesus tells us something of those who do not love and obey Him in John, chapter 3, verse 18. And I believe that verse should raise concerns for those who do not believe in Him

P.S. As well those who do.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It's an honest question. Is honesty ironic this day and age?

It is not a matter of "day and age" so much as of how you use it.

Do you realize, for instance, that you have just as much justification in doubting that radiowaves exist?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Because Jesus tells us something of those who do not love and obey Him in John, chapter 3, verse 18. And I believe that verse should raise concerns for those who do not believe in Him

P.S. As well those who do.

That, too, makes no sense. You are telling me to fear that your God because John supposedly told me that he is a monster.

Right or wrong, no matter, that is just not worth the trouble.

Sonofason

That, too, makes no sense. You are telling me to fear that your God because John supposedly told me that he is a monster.

Right or wrong, no matter, that is just not worth the trouble.

If you had actually read the Bible, you'd know that Jesus said it.