• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people make children?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I'm sure they love them just the same.
I am not an anti-Natalist because unlike them, I think that people who have the parental vocation, should have children.

But the 90% of parents do not have the vocation, and yet make children.
Unwanted pregnancies...or they make children just because their sisters or friends make children.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not an anti-Natalist because unlike them, I think that people who have the parental vocation, should have children.

But the 90% of parents do not and yet make children.
I think there's an idea that "it can't happen to me".

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
When you become a parent...

"My kid won't become a drug addict, because I'll do [this, that, the other thing].

Its hard to accept.
Drug addicts are frequent in the richest milieus because you know, you need money to buy drugs.
And it deals with people who received the most expensive education.
So it happens to them.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I don't have any children myself. My older brother has two children, both grown (my niece and nephew), and my niece has two children of her own. I do recall back when my brother first got married. Within a year, he was telling me that he and his wife were trying to have a child - and they obviously succeeded in that endeavor. I didn't bother to ask why; it just seemed like the natural thing for couples to want to do.

They did only have two children, which falls in line with the parameters of zero population growth while still in line with the replacement rate.

The right to procreate is a cherished human right, so I can't see treading on that. However, being that it's a major life-changing decision, it might be better if people approached it a bit more seriously rather than treating it as something that "just happens." It's not like the stork just shows up with another surprise.
I give you an example.
In 2021 Italy had 700 thousand deaths and almost 400 thousand births.
We are speaking of a very, very, very, very small country. Compared to the USA. With 60 million people.

So 60 million is too much. With this rate, that number will never change.
We need very few births, so the number starts decreasing.

Same exact thing for Britain.
There are too many social injustices in that country too...but Britain was great when it had millions and millions less.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Smart aleck!
You know...in my language we have two terms.
One means "people from 0 to 12 years"
The other term means "daughters and sons".

Hence the confusion in English. ;)
But in my language we don't have that.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
But if the son of a typical man; or even a poor man, wants to get rich, there is a pretty good chance he will be able to accomplish it. After all, most rich people start off that way.
Where?
In a parallel universe maybe.
Not on planet Earth. There is no meritocracy any more. There is money. Only money opens every door. Not merit.

Do you really think that prestigious colleges choose their students because of merit?

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
You know...in my language we have two terms.
One means "people from 0 to 12 years"
The other term means "daughters and sons".

Hence the confusion in English. ;)
But in my language we don't have that.
Smart aleck is a forum friendly way of saying "smart >donkey<" in our language. And your language isn't as mixed up with others quite as much as ours. :D

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Smart aleck is a forum friendly way of saying "smart >donkey<" in our language. And your language isn't as mixed up with others quite as much as ours. :D
In French and in German there is the same interesting aspect.
English has so many terms. Yelling, screaming, shouting, ...I would like to understand the difference because we have just one term for that. ;)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
No exaggeration on my part. Speak for yourself.

Under whatever context that may or may not be true, it is not relevant to what I said
It is relevant, considering that there are Catholics who are Christian Nationalists.

Last edited:

ppp

It is relevant, considering that there are Catholics who are Christian Nationalists.
You know...in the Vatican, they don't make children.
They are all gay...

Gays don't make babies.
That was simultaneously incoherent, bigoted and false. But mostly an incoherent mess.