• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people worship images/objects?

Alien

I Fly Space.
Something I always found peculiar is the worship of images and other man made objects. I don't quite understand the reason/purpose of this so I'd like someone to offer some insight. If I log on to google images then print out a picture of (Enter your God here) on my printer and put it on my wall, isn't it still just a picture? Or am I missing the point in which it transforms into something spiritual/holy/Divine? I've seen people drop down on their knees and worship statues, photos and other material things in the most zealous way, but why?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Alien you don't understand veneration of images, or you would never have posted this thread. No one worships statues. The statue is a tool used in worship to convey veneration to the higher spiritual reality that exists, depicted by the statue. So for the last time, NOBODY worships statues.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts...

Alien

I Fly Space.
Alien you don't understand veneration of images, or you would never have posted this thread. No one worships statues. The statue is a tool used in worship to convey veneration to the higher spiritual reality that exists, depicted by the statue. So for the last time, NOBODY worships statues.

You're right, I don't understand veneration of images, that is why...I made this thread. I understand your explanation, it makes sense. So if it's the case and we're not worshipping the statues, can I kneel down in front of a statue of Jesus and praise Allah? Would that be wrong? I don't think it would because like you said, the statues don't matter, its the veneration of the higher spiritual reality.

Rainbow Mage

You're right, I don't understand veneration of images, that is why...I made this thread. I understand your explanation, it makes sense. So if it's the case and we're not worshipping the statues, can I kneel down in front of a statue of Jesus and praise Allah? Would that be wrong? I don't think it would because like you said, the statues don't matter, its the veneration of the higher spiritual reality.

Well if you belive Jesus is Allah, sure, that would be a valid way of conveying worship. The statue is a symbol to assist in worship.

Erebus

That depends, would the statue of Jesus make you think of Allah?
The statue is simply a mental stimulous to aid focus, therefore it makes sense to use a statue appropriate to the task at hand. I wouldn't use a statue of Aphrodite if I wanted to focus on Hecate for example.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
It's a focal point, for me to meditate and reach the Divine with - in my opinion. I treat the statue how I would treat God: with respect and love. I do not worship the statue, I use the statue as a way in which I can get closer to the One. I do not expect my statue to eat food or drink water should I give it to them, nor do I expect the statues to move nor speak to me, but that doesn't mean that the statue does not bring me closer to God if I pray towards it.

Basically it's a kind of telephone, sort of. It's something people who wish to can use. I don't have to, I don't necessarily need to, but I find it useful to.

In my opinion, many religions use icons in some way or another, whether they like to admit it or not.

Alien

I Fly Space.
It's a focal point, for me to meditate and reach the Divine with - in my opinion. I treat the statue how I would treat God: with respect and love. I do not worship the statue, I use the statue as a way in which I can get closer to the One. I do not expect my statue to eat food or drink water should I give it to them, nor do I expect the statues to move nor speak to me, but that doesn't mean that the statue does not bring me closer to God if I pray towards it.

Basically it's a kind of telephone, sort of. It's something people who wish to can use. I don't have to, I don't necessarily need to, but I find it useful to.

In my opinion, many religions use icons in some way or another, whether they like to admit it or not.

Ahh, this is a very good response. That's a good analogy, its like a telephone. I'm able to grasp the concept a bit better now. Excellent.

Alien

I Fly Space.
I always thought that the statues had some symbolic meaning that was needed for prayer or worship. My mother had an altar decorated with pictures of Gods that she prayed to every morning. I always felt like if by accident I had damaged one of these photos something bad would happen to me in return. I found out later this wasn't the case, but I always wondered why people used the images and objects when they could easily just close their eyes and pray.

Rainbow Mage

Well aliens because as mentioned, there are specific forms of worship one can only do through a medium. Like decorating an image with wreaths and cloth. Like offering food or drink offerings. Sometimes I do pray without images, like when I say table grace over my food.

Sekhmet of yesterday, Wadjet of today
You have come and replinished our table
Like you replinished the table of Heru
When you came forth from Ra

May Netjer accept the repast from the right and to the left

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
A common misunderstanding by people is that the icons are literally divine. Symbolic in a way, I guess.

My own opinion is if someone were to smash a statue of a God, then he or she has smashed a statue of a God: no catastrophes will befall that person, but if it was done deliberately it is pretty disrespectful and in such a case, all it shows in my opinion is that he or she would 'smash' or attack the God if they had that ability to, perhaps because they disagreed with how this God was shown to them, perhaps in a tantrum, who knows.

If I wanted to, I could close my eyes and pray, but I find that performing a short ritual towards a statue really does help me connect to the Divine easier. I was wary of it at first, not being raised around icons that one prayed towards, but now I find it amazingly beneficial. :)

Rainbow Mage

I don't know Odion. In Kemetic view, it would be very disrespectful to smash a statue of a god. That's one of the purifications. Hail Wadjet, coming forth from Sau. I do not revile Netjer. Hail Wadjet, coming forth from Sau. I do not deface the sacred idols. I am pretty sure that Hindus wouldn't look highly on it either, especially considering that Hindus believe the statue contains a portion of the deity's essence. That's why when you consecrate a shrine in your home, if you're Hindu, you draw out the deity from within your heart and picture it going into the icon.

Walkntune

Something I always found peculiar is the worship of images and other man made objects
I know what you mean. God gave us this beautiful earth and everything in it is ours yet me dig at it, make material things(cars, houses, etc...) out of it,worship it as a God, place a value on it and then kill ourselves trying to possess it.;)

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Something I always found peculiar is the worship of images and other man made objects. I don't quite understand the reason/purpose of this so I'd like someone to offer some insight. If I log on to google images then print out a picture of (Enter your God here) on my printer and put it on my wall, isn't it still just a picture? Or am I missing the point in which it transforms into something spiritual/holy/Divine? I've seen people drop down on their knees and worship statues, photos and other material things in the most zealous way, but why?
Because it's easier to worship something you can see versus something you can't. In general, the human mind is fairly weak. Images/objects are tools for worship, rather than the thing that is being worshipped.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
The Images and/or objects are not worshiped. They may be use by the believer in worship has something to focus on, but it is nothing more than that really. The Object isn't a god/goddess...but a representation of said deity..

.lava

Veteran Member
The Images and/or objects are not worshiped. They may be use by the believer in worship has something to focus on, but it is nothing more than that really. The Object isn't a god/goddess...but a representation of said deity..

do you think you represent your deity?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Because these images and objects make the concepts that people worship more real. It's the closest to having something tangible to worship that people can get.