• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do some Atheists say Christianity is harmful?

Obviously not all Atheists claim this, most atheists dont really care about ones faith. However there are some atheists who claim Christianity is harmful as a religion. They tend to be more on the antitheist side.

My question is why? And how? How is christianity in any way form or shape harmful? Some say its because of the strict rules, but how is that bad? How are rules who lead to a better society bad?

And how is sexual purity exactly a bad thing? I dont see how Christianity can be harmful at all. So why do they claim it?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Obviously not all Atheists claim this, most atheists dont really care about ones faith. However there are some atheists who claim Christianity is harmful as a religion. They tend to be more on the antitheist side.

My question is why? And how? How is christianity in any way form or shape harmful? Some say its because of the strict rules, but how is that bad? How are rules who lead to a better society bad?

And how is sexual purity exactly a bad thing? I dont see how Christianity can be harmful at all. So why do they claim it?

Some of us have been harmed by Christianity.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member

To allude to Gandhi I think the issue is more with certain Christians than with the Christian religion as a whole

Audie

Veteran Member

You really-truly know of no aspect of
Christisnity ever harming anyone?

To allude to Gandhi I think the issue is more with certain Christians than with the Christian religion as a whole

Sure Christians are not perfect. But Christianity itself is a force of absolute goodness, and anything opposed to it, must be by definition evil, in fact purely evil satanic, demonic.

Which sect of Christianity are you claiming is pure goodness? There's so many variations on the theme it is next to impossible to address your question.

Obviously, catholicism is the true form of christianity, which makes the most logical sense, its the OG christianity, thats why, the original.

So the crusades and the inquisition and the feudal system and the slave trade were absolutely good?????

The crusades were a reaction to islamic expansion and persecution of pilgrims in those areas, so yes, they were good and ABSOLUTELY justified, and im not ashamed my church called for several crusades.
inquisition too was to weed out heresy. only a small percentage were actually executed of the accused.
feudalism wasnt all bad either, and the church is opposed to slavery.

You expect me to not defend my church, right? Well i do.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Well from my experience as a Christian in hindsight, I find it potentially harmful for the same reasons as just about any other religion.

There is always a chance of radicalization, con artist predation, unhealthy expectations , hero worship, losing ones sense of reality, and delusions of grandeur.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I cant see how. Christianity is only good, there are no downsides, its pure goodness.
Try living as an atheist.
It gives a different perspective.
Had you been subject to forced Christian prayer
in public schools in the 50s, you likely wouldn't
have cared.
Had you been told to swear to God to tell the
truth in court, you likely wouldn't have
cared.
Had you been subject to the draft to go kill
"godless commies", you might've gone.

The list goes on.

Try living as an atheist.
It gives a different perspective.
Had you been subject to forced Christian prayer
in public schools in the 50s, you likely wouldn't
have cared.
Had you been told to swear to God to tell the
truth in court, you likely wouldn't have
cared.
Had you been subject to the draft to go kill
"godless commies", you might've gone.

The list goes on.

Ive been an atheist before my conversion, i was way more miserable, i would not be alive today without faith. Being an atheist is miserable because you have no meaning in life.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Which I think is healthy

If I'd been around a few hundred years ago your wonderful church would have been put to death

By saying persecuting heretics is good you are basically saying I should be put to death for my beliefs so pardon me for taking that personally

As would a great many Christians

And what about the children's crusades? How does that even make sense??

And if your church is so awesome how can you possibly justify this:

They were run by sadists, it was slave labour, there is no way the victims deserved to be sent to such places

Also, why has your church covered up the evil activities of the very worst kind of perverts who are members of the clergy? I wouldn't call that ultimate good