• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do some believe easily, others hardly at all?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
And, of course, there is no possibility that your experiences are other than you conceive, that they might be products of defects of your own?

I can tell you this -- the medical literature is chock full of such defects causing people to experience all sorts of things that never actually happened.

I've already shared several of my experiences in this thread (see here), as well as in many others. You're more than welcome to read them, if you'd like.

It is, in fact, fascinating that you support what is well-known regarding how all this mythology got synthesized into what it is today, but can't talk to whether the things you claim to have "experienced since [you were] six."

That's incorrect. I have talked many times about the paranormal experiences I've had, including the first experience I had when I was six years old. In fact, I've been sharing my experiences on this forum for more than a year now. I've talked about my experiences, but I will not, under any circumstances, argue or debate any skeptics about them. As far as the stories in the Bible, like the paranormal, I have extensively studied the Bible to establish what I believe.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
"Passionately anti- , ferociously, hate".

Such unsophisticated transparent psychological
projection. Your posts are all
about opinion and emotions, so others use be like you.

Look at yourself. Your entire approach is
about how you happen to feel.

You cannot defend your pallid beliefs from the
light of day,. Call on you for facts and
what do you do? Call conspiracy, and then
start in making up issues with my character
and personality.

Your quick resort to conspiracy and personal
attack underlines that your claims are,
yes, indefensible, vacuous, a nothingburger.
Well, you unintentionally showed my point better than I could.

Audie

Veteran Member
It is, in fact, fascinating that you support what is well-known regarding how all this mythology got synthesized into what it is today, but can't talk to whether the things you claim to have "experienced since [you were] six."
When I was 9 yrs old, I was very
sick, which caused me to be extremely
heavy. Nobody believed I was so heavy
but when Mohammrd Ali came in the
room, I climbed up on him, and brought
him down, he could not withstand my
weight.

Considering I'm about the size of an
American 10 yr old now I clearly had
achieved tremendous density.

This was not a dream, Mom was there
though she is skeptical about Mr. Ali
showing up at our flat in Hong Kong
as she did not see him.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Well, you unintentionally showed my point better than I could.

I don't mind talking to and interacting with skeptics during my paranormal investigations as long as they are polite and respectful, rather than obnoxious show-offs looking for attention. In fact, a tenacious skeptic can unwittingly be a paranormal investigator's greatest ally, as can a converted skeptic. The outspoken skepticism of one skeptic can and has influenced other skeptics to believe in the paranormal because it pushed them to investigate further, leading them to believe in the paranormal after they were unable to debunk and rationally explain their encounter with something paranormal. So, the outspoken skeptic actually accomplished the exact opposite of what they intended, which was to rationally disprove the paranormal. It's ironic, isn't it?

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Doing better than you ain't hard.

You know if a half pint female like me
is too much for you, you sure would not survive
long in HK.

Eh... to be fair, a lot of westerners are too soft for eastern bluntness - especially ego centric cultures like the usa has

Audie

Veteran Member
Eh... to be fair, a lot of westerners are too soft for eastern bluntness - especially ego centric cultures like the usa has
I was in the USA in a Midwestern city,
visiting a cousin who'd just moved there from
Shanghai.

She wanted to go to garage sales.

There were these binoculars, seemed like new
with box. I later found that they were like $89.95,.
but they were for sale for $10.00!

That poor lady! She didnt have a chance up
against my cousin, and ended selling them for
$1.75

Mostly you can't haggle prices in the USA.

But anyway I won't be conversing w Mr Amanda
there. He is welcome to any last word.

Brian2

Veteran Member
You know, it always amazes me when people say that archaeological evidence about places (not events) in the Bible tend towards proving that what the Bible says it true.

Certainly some of the archaeological evidence does tend towards proving that what the Bible says is true.
This is in the same way that lack of that evidence can lean us towards the idea that what the Bible says is not true.
For example, most historians and archaeologists might say these days that the Exodus and Conquest of Canaan aren't true and that the Pentateuch was made up hundreds of years later so that the Israelites would think that they had something in common, are related and had a national history etc.
There are enough discoveries to say the Conquest is true imo and to place it at about 1400BC which is Biblical dating, as opposed to the 1200BC dating that many archaeologists want to use.

Heyo

Veteran Member
The Iliad was written by one man inspired by Satan in my opinion. The Bible was written over 1400 years by many authors, 40 in fact. The latter is inspired, breathed into man by God.
And how can I distinguish "inspired by Satan" from "breathed into man by God"?

(Circular reasoning coming in 3, 2, 1 ...)

Heyo

Veteran Member
I am sure our debate is hopeless.

What makes you so passionately anti-paranormal that you're so ferociously against the other side? I understand skepticism actually as a fine approach but not what you do. What drives your psychology? Why such hate of claims of the paranormal?
The debate will keep on being hopeless until we agree upon an epistemology.

The "hate" is not exclusive to claims of paranormal activity. It goes to religion, alien abduction, reptile overlords, flat earthers, YEC and every other conspiracy and delusion out there. If you don't believe in all of them, just employ the same method you reject those to your claims and you'll know how we think.
What we reject is belief without sufficient evidence as that has a tendency to lead to irrational decisions in other matters, matters that might have consequences for us.
6cc756ab13c37addbd4a1f15c856f484.jpg

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I am sure our debate is hopeless.

What makes you so passionately anti-paranormal that you're so ferociously against the other side? I understand skepticism actually as a fine approach but not what you do. What drives your psychology? Why such hate of claims of the paranormal?
I think this is unfair. It seems to be that the believing side is the one being emotional and simply citing hate, when for so many of us we have to come to our conclusions necessarily because we do value evidence and critical thinking. You really should look in the mirror and ask what drives your own and others' psychology, when we have nothing to gain from our stance at all. Provide decent evidence and minds will change - and not the evidence so far provided. Such just doesn't pass the test.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Possibly, if you're young enough. Turtles tend to live a long time. (And I believe in reincarnation)

But I also consider the teachings of many clairvoyant/psychic masters alive and dead that tell us about more than our physical senses and instruments can directly detect. They tell of etheric, astral and mental planes of reality and about the operation of the matter/energy there in from their own psychic senses in their astral and mental bodies. From considering all that, I have what I would call my most reasonable ideas of how this operates that is not supernatural but rather supranormal.
Well I will obviously be accepting of whatever happens when I die (77 now), if such is a possibility, given I have no preconceptions of anything happening apart from my life ending. But whatever beliefs I might have, these aren't driven by anything in particular, and just formed through what I have gathered over my life. Fortunately they haven't needed any severe reversals but mostly have been trimmed or pruned. Hence why I have still so much scepticism for many things accepted by others. Given I don't believe numbers count so much in many of these things.

Brian2

Veteran Member
How would you have science study "spiritual reality"? I don't see any reason why it's impossible, by the way. Let's do a "what if" and have science investigate the resurrection of Jesus. First would be presentation of evidence. What do we have? Some very old writings that describe it. OK, now we need to establish the veracity or otherwise of these writings. We can't point to other sections of the same writings that have been shown to be correct, they refer to different events. We need something about this particular event. We can't point to long established belief, lots of those have been shown to be wrong. What do we have? Just the writings themselves. Maybe we go on to claim that the writings were "inspired by God" so must be correct. How can know that? The writings themselves say so? Give me a break. And how we know there is a God and that it has certain characteristics?

OK, you've heard all this before, but I'm trying to describe an open minded scientist who is genuinely trying to examine all the evidence. He shakes his head and says "Is that all there is?"

What I'd like you to consider though, is that it doesn't have to be a scientist, just a normal person that applies the same reasoning that he uses in the rest of his life. You have fairies at the bottom of your garden, you say? OK, show me. They don't seem to be there today? OK, let's try tomorrow.

Why is the "evidence" that supports "faith" have to be of a different nature than any other evidence?

Evidence is evidence to me and I'm not the one who says that the evidence for God or the Bible is not real evidence. Skeptics who say they are critical thinkers, empiricists, those into scientism, say that the evidence for God and the Bible is not even evidence.
I just say that it is different in nature. Different disciplines, topics, have different types of evidence.
So science was not designed to study God or the evidence for God, which nevertheless is real evidence, and so it must be just a different sort of evidence.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Incoherent statements are those that contradict themselves. The phrase married bachelor is a classic example. The concept is incoherent because it is internally contradictory. Evidence is whatever is evident to the senses. Both science and every individual with external senses and the ability to reason have access to everything that can be called evidence for anything. Private evidence is not about external reality, but about the body and brain. What believers have are (at most) compelling intuitions of a god. That's not enough to call sufficient evidence of a god to justify belief.

Intuition and reasoning about the things that we all can see is enough for me and others.

I have personal experience here. When I was a Christian, I mistook the euphoric feeling I got singing hymns and clapping hands in my first church headed by a gifted and charismatic preacher with the presence of the Holy Spirit. But the empiricist in me never died during the period of trying on the religion for fit, despite my efforts at suppressing the cognitive dissonance as part of the suspension of unbelief. I say this, because it was after a military discharge and a return to my home state that I discovered that the euphoria was not the Holy Spirit, since that feeling didn't follow me to California and the half dozen or so congregations I tried before realizing what hat happened and walking away from Christianity. That's empiricism. That's considering evidence.

Yes some people get carried away with feelings and want that to continue. Some throw out the baby with the bath water and then say that there was no baby.

I recently read another poster comment on believing by evidence and faith. That's also incoherent. Either one's evidence connects to one's conclusions and justifies belief, or it isn't enough to get you there and a leap of faith is required to get to one's (unjustified) conclusion. All beliefs fit one description or the other - justified or believed by faith - with none being both or neither.

Whether we believe in God and Jesus or say that they are not real, there is a leap of faith. The evidence I have connects to my conclusions and justifies my belief as much as evidence justifies lack of belief for you.

Science is indifferent to religion, and it's mission is unrelated to it. Science's only agenda is to understand how reality works. Religion tries to tell us that as well, but without sufficient evidence to justify its claims. Science is indifferent to its findings contradicting religious dogma. If the priests were correct, science would happily confirm that for them if possible. If science contradict scripture, that's not an issue for science, but it is for religion.

That sounds true, but science does not take into account at any stage that it might just be coming up with educated guesses that have little to do with the reality of what actually happened back then. (and I am talking about science's excursions forensically into the past) The presumption is that everything happened without God's input and without any full stop, science just pushes on with what are considered naturalistic answers, but which may be completely wrong.

Anything that impacts material reality (nature) is another part of that reality. If one wants to postulate the existence of entities that don't impact on reality, he is making an unfalsifiable claim of no explanatory or predictive value. Nothing that is said to never modify material reality can be called real itself, or relevant even if it in some sense were real, but causally disconnected from this reality. Consider the existence of another god ruling another universe but being unable to impact this one. The question of it's existence is irrelevant.

The believer wants it both ways. He wants to claim that his god has impacted material reality enough to make itself known to him, but is nevertheless undetectable. If your brain can detect it, it's not undetectable. So what are you actually detecting? Not something causally disconnected from your brain. I say what you are detecting is only your brain - a mental state - that seduces many to give it a name and project it onto external reality.

I see it differently. God is a part of reality but is not of the same material and so is not studyable by science.
God speaks to my spirit, Spirit to spirit, and my brain also gets in on the act and my body too because I am a whole.

If empiricism doesn't give an answer, that answer are unavailable, and by answer, I don't mean unfalsifiable metaphysical claims with no truth value (not correct and not incorrect, but rather, "not even wrong")

The answers are unavailable for empiricism, that is all. Plenty of questions have answers that are unavailable to empiricism. It does not mean that there are no answers. All people make up their mind about God without empiricism to say yay or nay.
You might like to think that you can think better and follow the only right way to check out reality, but I don't.

Do you consider that confirmation that biblical science is accurate? Are you aware of the places where science contradicts scripture? How do you feel about that? Do you consider the misses along with the hits? If not, you are committing the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy: "a logical fallacy based on the metaphor of a gunman shooting the side of a barn, then drawing targets around the bullet hole clusters to make it look like he hit the target. It illustrates how people look for similarities, ignoring differences."

I probably see less places that science might be said to disagree with the Bible.

This is the same topic. Are you aware of the archeological evidence that contradicts much of Exodus?

I am aware of evidence that contradicts and evidence that points to it being correct.
Most of the archaeological evidence wants the Exodus to have happened about 1250BC, and that evidence consists of a "lack of evidence for the Exodus and Conquest of Canaan.
The positive evidence for the Exodus and Conquest is about 200 years earlier, in the Biblical time frame.

Brian2

Veteran Member
If you say so. Honestly, I don't find the "brain in a vat" argument all that compelling

I was not referring to the brain in a vat argument, I was referring to whether the reality we are taught to accept these days is completely right. The following might give you an idea of what I am referring to, even if I don't necessarily agree with any conclusions Rupert Sheldrake might come to.

That wasn't my intention. I was just affirming that I believe that religious beliefs can coexist with scientific endeavors just fine. That said, I also believe that it's unwise for someone to not be open minded and not allow for their beliefs to bend and adjust in light of better evidence

It seems imperative to allow our beliefs to be bent by better evidence.

Proof? No. Consistent, varifiable Evidence is what I'm looking for - especially for extraordinary claims. There are thousands of religious claims out there. Only 1 of them can be truly right, but all of them can be wrong

Sounds like you want a religion that is varified by science. Many seem to end up with deism when they want that, but science does not even varify Deism, it is just that science does not seem to take exception to Deism. But do you think that a religion needs to be subservient to what the current science paradigm says or can science be wrong about the nature of reality and not open minded in it's ways?

I have dificulty believing in a spiritual reality when there isn't a consistent idea of what that even looks like. Are we talking heaven, valhalla, or the duat? I don't find the concept convincing

I think it is too late to want all religions to agree on their spiritual realities. You just have to accept things the way they are and choose, or not. If you want them all to agree then are you saying that you have made up your mind that none are correct, all are wrong and there is no spiritual reality?

Every holy book and religious story talks about real places and events - the bible isn't unique. Volsunga saga talks about very real people in history, follows very real world events, and mentions very real wars that we can look at and see evidence for. People also have magical powers and supernatural beings like valkyries exist and alter these real world events

History is full of people who stretch the truth or are ill informed, like herodotus, but they also write about real things we can varify. If this seems to be a very consistent theme everywhere else in history, why should we treat the bible differently?

In this age of historians presuming any supernatural story is not true and presuming prophecy was written after the events, and archaeologists refusing to see evidence for the truth of the Bible as showing that, anyone could be excused for treating the Bible like any other sagas.

I can look for archeological evidence for any holy book's claim that turns out to be varifiable and true - I just don't see the point in accepting everything else written wholesale as true as well

When it comes to prophecy, they are so vague that anyone can say that it means whatever they say it's supposed to mean - or they can just fulfill it themselves, such as in the case of Israel. Even the number of the beast has been stretched every which way to mean everything from ancient roman emperors to microchips. Number of the beast - Wikipedia

I don't find prophecy all that compelling

I find prophecy compelling but I haven't any reason to say that it was written after the events.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Some throw out the baby with the bath water and then say that there was no baby.
You're not the first to use that phrase to describe leaving Christianity, and yes, I'm one who says that nothing of value was lost when I did. If you think otherwise, maybe you can say what you think that is and why it is of value. If your "answers" are unfalsifiable claims about afterlives and gods, I count it no loss to disregard such things. If being a Christian doesn't meet needs while alive, then it's not valuable or desirable for a person who is happy without it to be one.
Whether we believe in God and Jesus or say that they are not real, there is a leap of faith.
So why do either? There is no need to take such a leap.
The evidence I have connects to my conclusions and justifies my belief as much as evidence justifies lack of belief for you.
Perhaps, but not by the rules of reason. You are using your own rules to connect them which include logical fallacies. A leap of faith is called a non sequitur fallacy.
science does not take into account at any stage that it might just be coming up with educated guesses that have little to do with the reality of what actually happened back then
Many of those educated guesses have tested and confirmed. Some are still in development, like abiogenesis.
The presumption is that everything happened without God's input and without any full stop, science just pushes on with what are considered naturalistic answers, but which may be completely wrong.
Do you mean like the naturalistic answers that took man to the moon and back? Do you think they could be wrong? The greatest evidence for the validity of science's fundamental assumptions is its stellar success. Do you know which competing ideas have had no success? The ones based in faith - alchemy, astrology, and more recently, the ID program. None produced any useful ideas, which is evidence that they are founded on false assumptions.
Plenty of questions have answers that are unavailable to empiricism. It does not mean that there are no answers.
I don't call guesses answers. If your answer doesn't derive from empiricism, it's a guess, and if it's an unfalsifiable guess, it can't be called either right or wrong.
I probably see less places that science might be said to disagree with the Bible.
If you're interested in knowing more about where scripture and science contradict one another, there are web sites that can help you with that. Here's one.
The positive evidence for the Exodus and Conquest is about 200 years earlier, in the Biblical time frame.
Not according to archeology.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Evidence is evidence to me and I'm not the one who says that the evidence for God or the Bible is not real evidence. Skeptics who say they are critical thinkers, empiricists, those into scientism, say that the evidence for God and the Bible is not even evidence.
I just say that it is different in nature. Different disciplines, topics, have different types of evidence.
So science was not designed to study God or the evidence for God, which nevertheless is real evidence, and so it must be just a different sort of evidence.
I think it is more about whether you accept some writing from the past as being evidence of some God rather than being evidence of writing existing then, and of attitudes at the time. You seem to accept such when many will not do so. Evidence is evidence when you want to pick and choose rather than sift for accuracy or believability perhaps.