• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you believe in God(s)?

lunakilo

I don't you see.

I am not claiming that there is no God, just that I have never found a reason to think there is one (or more than one for that matter).

I do know that some people are convienced that God exists, and I am just curious to know why.

So if you are one of the people who believe in God(s), could you try to explain to me what has convinced you of Gods existence.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
When I was younger, I "believed" in god because my parents and family told me a god existed. Also when I went to church as saw others worshiping this god, it was quite convincing. I believe that's why pretty much why most who do believe in god learned.

Now I'm a sinful wretched blasphemer.

Onkara

I don't you see.

I am not claiming that there is no God, just that I have never found a reason to think there is one (or more than one for that matter).

I do know that some people are convienced that God exists, and I am just curious to know why.

So if you are one of the people who believe in God(s), could you try to explain to me what has convinced you of Gods existence.
Hello Lunakilo
I feel obliged to say I accept ‘god’. It is closer to the pan[en]theist view of ‘god’ but not limited to any definition. I questioned my existence and found that it was the foundation for all that I know and perceive. My ‘being’ precedes my personality, memory, likes and beliefs; in fact they all depend on my being. So the fact that I believe in something or don't believe in something e.g. god, is just at the level of personality, and not at the deeper level of my being. This is what people mean when they say “god is just an idea”. It is true, but there is an unchanging Truth which lies beyond the senses and our thoughts. Senses and thoughts are subject to change but the foundation does not change.

Likewise I do not see ‘god’ as being separate from His/Her creation, they are linked, in the same way that water and your body make one. You and I are divine and to the extent of our understanding we are god in origin, purpose and design. Material matter is god; divine. The negation of the idea of god arises when we take ourselves to be separate unique individuals, because it assumes that ‘god’ too is separate from us and this makes less sense to some of us in a world where science is demonstrating that there are laws to measurable limits. God is not a measurable limit, which is why science can never see Him. The point is that everything has a foundation and by knowing that foundation we can come to know what the scriptures and ancient seers called ‘god’.

TJ73

At some point in my life I thought about beginnings... I know I can never get proof of a beginning point, but I believe there has to be one. I thought about how I felt about my own child and how I could imagine a creator having similar feelings and desires. I though it made sense that such a creator would leave some clues and instructions. I saw people die and the connection they appeared to be making to "another place". I just had a sense, so to speak of something greater. I get nothing that I can easily describe to someone else and not necessarily like what others have tried to describe to me. But this personal sense i have gets conformation over time. The sense becomes weak when i move away from it and intensifies when I move closer.
It is completely personal and indescribable. i am grateful for it. My use of religion is as a means of learning how to greater intensify the sense and come into line with the path that can bring me closest.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I don't you see.

Real hard to dismiss personal evidences. There's like no way these could be just coincidences. I know some people think I'm a skeptic, and it's true when it comes to many things I am, but never to what one personally experiences, or said they did.

I've had many personal experiences to validate the existence of what I believe in to me, and when other people claiming to have a relationship with their deity claim they also do, I see no reason not to believe them.

I know that personal evidence doesn't prove god to anyone else, but it works for the party involved.

Onkara

But this personal sense i have gets conformation over time. The sense becomes weak when i move away from it and intensifies when I move closer.
It is completely personal and indescribable. i am grateful for it. My use of religion is as a means of learning how to greater intensify the sense and come into line with the path that can bring me closest.

This is well said, TJ :)
I agree too. The more I focus on it the better life becomes, the more purpose there is in living. The act I am happy to call 'submission' because the more I submit the intenser it becomes.

I expect that is alarming and almost insane to those who don't know it, as I once too didn't know it. Instead I was more worried about other things and when those things became less important I started to know it. Thanks for your answer. :)

PS: I hope I haven't misunderstood or changed your point, but it struck me as the same.

Last edited:

TJ73

No you didn't miss it. I had all kinds of different "ideas" that I explored, but only after actively becoming involved with monotheism did I get any sense. I became a Christian and started to really have a "feeling". As I learned of Islam it really intensified. But again, I can't describe it any better than that.

Onkara

No you didn't miss it. I had all kinds of different "ideas" that I explored, but only after actively becoming involved with monotheism did I get any sense. I became a Christian and started to really have a "feeling". As I learned of Islam it really intensified. But again, I can't describe it any better than that.

Good, I felt it was the same. :eek: I too feel it when discussing the Quran, likewise it is not limited to the Quran (for me) and I feel elated when reading the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, the Upanishad/Agamic scriptures or the words of Christ.

All of that is really academic to a degree, as the point is that one comes to know what you described above, intuitively for themselves. I hope that helps Lunakilo to understand our reasoning a little better :)

lunakilo

All of that is really academic to a degree, as the point is that one comes to know what you described above, intuitively for themselves. I hope that helps Lunakilo to understand our reasoning a little better :)
It does I think :)

I am eagerly reading your replies. Keep them comming...

Onkara

It does I think :)

I am eagerly reading your replies. Keep them comming...

Yippy: hamster : :)
TJ touches on what I understand makes the difference:

I had all kinds of different "ideas" that I explored, but only after actively becoming involved with monotheism did I get any sense.

It is the mundane "ideas" which keep us away from the sense. We think so much that all we 'hear' is our thinking and we miss the intuitive knowing/sense. That is why I missed it for so long. It is easy to overlook too, if we are looking for some grand experience like 'the voice of God' or a halo. Really it is here now, we just need to tune into it (without wishing to sound sci-fi).

Ironcially it is ideas which lead us to it. Which is why I found it through a different way than TJ. But really we recognise one another's description it seems (I invite TJ to disagree with any point), and we both thank God for that. :)

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis

Mystic and personal experiences.

I wasn't raised with religion, really--my father wanted us to choose our own religious beliefs. I didn't actually find out, for example, that was my father was an agnostic-Buddhist until I was 20, nor did I find out my mother was a Unitarian Christian until I was 19--give or take a year or so. My family owned no scripture, no religious icons, and both hated with equal measure going to church when they went to America to see my brother.

I heard "God" as a swear-word, and "superstitious nonsense" - I think about three times in my youth did I ever heard "God" in a non-pejorative way, and then it was more attributable to one's karma ripening, as opposed to a personal entity.

lunakilo

It is the mundane "ideas" which keep us away from the sense. We think so much that all we 'hear' is our thinking and we miss the intuitive knowing/sense. That is why I missed it for so long. It is easy to overlook too, if we are looking for some grand experience like 'the voice of God' or a halo. Really it is here now, we just need to tune into it (without wishing to sound sci-fi).
I was with you up to the point of having a personal experience of 'this feels right'

But what you just said sounds like you are saying that if we think to much then we won't sense this. Or You have to turn of your brain to 'understand'. (no offence intended)
This may not be what you where trying to say, but that was what I got out of what you wrote. :confused:

Onkara

I was with you up to the point of having a personal experience of 'this feels right'

But what you just said sounds like you are saying that if we think to much then we won't sense this. Or You have to turn of your brain to 'understand'. (no offence intended)
This may not be what you where trying to say, but that was what I got out of what you wrote. :confused:

I respect your sincerity, Lunakilo, it is not easy even to describe, which I think is why it is such a fascinating topic. :)

Logically, it doesn't matter how many times someone tells you there is a monkey in the cupboard, it is just an idea until you open the cupboard or see the monkey for yourself. :monkey: My point is that for thousands of years people have been talking about 'god' but until it becomes personal then it is just an imaginary monkey in the cupboard.

The question becomes, when is it no longer imagination? The answer I propose above, is when it is becomes personal: a sense which feels right. No one can take that away and no matter what I do, I cannot deny it; I have tried and I even through my conviction to a public forum for ruthless scrutiny. lol.

There are two main ways, either to investigate logically and philosophically, using ideas until all the questions have answers. Or to stop thinking as you say. To stop thinking then meditation is key, because it quietens the thoughts and you see that you are that which has thoughts. In my opinion worship does the same thing, praying 5 times per day.

Best still is to combine them both. Try to understand the philosophy or the scriptures, for example, and also mediate, pray, sing, because that will let you get behind the thoughts (mediation) and understand why you are doing it and remove doubt (philosophy/scripture).

I should add, that although I say "you", I am not promoting a religion nor do I want you to do anything, I am just describing how I understand my religion and 'god' because it addresses your question. I have no interest in proving or promoting anything, just interacting :)

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Why do I believe in God?

I don't have a reason, I just do. Not a very satisfactory answer, I know but I wanted to be honest.

I don't you see.

I wrote an article on this just a few days ago, have a read and let me know what you think, it can be found at The Essense Of Belief

lunakilo

Logically, it doesn't matter how many times someone tells you there is a monkey in the cupboard, it is just an idea until you open the cupboard or see the monkey for yourself. :monkey: My point is that for thousands of years people have been talking about 'god' but until it becomes personal then it is just an imaginary monkey in the cupboard.
I think I understand what you mean (love the monkey by the way :) )

And I guess since I don't really see any reason why there would be a monkey in the cupboard, I am not very likely to go looking for the cupboard, much less open it.

Well I guess it just seems trange to me that the monkey has decided to hide in the cupboard :)

Onkara

I think I understand what you mean (love the monkey by the way :) )

And I guess since I don't really see any reason why there would be a monkey in the cupboard, I am not very likely to go looking for the cupboard, much less open it.

Well I guess it just seems trange to me that the monkey has decided to hide in the cupboard :)

Oh the monkey doesn't belong to me, I found him. Like "god" I wasn't really looking for a monkey or "god", as I was just trying to understand life and my self a bit better. Little by little I made progress then suddenly before I knew it I had opened the cupboard door and there was a monkey on my shoulder... a good godly little monkey, I must add and one which will be with me for ever. :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I agree with Onkara. There is no proof for humanity, but there is proof for individuals. I do like the monkey in the cupboard analogy. We cannot see the wind, yet we can feel the wind. For me personally, each time I have doubted God's existence, something happens. Its between God and me. There is always some sort of sign, either subtle or more dramatic. A skeptic argues coincidence, but that's from his or her predetermined point of view. So there is no logic. Somewhere out there beyond that. OTOH, I accept a person's inability to feel it, or the right to not believe in it.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
God is a symbol in my mind. A projection, an understanding, a perception.
I believe in God because I want to, I need to and because it suits me and the story I am unfolding for myself.