• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHY do you believe?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I was raised a Catholic.
My friend encouraged me to READ the Bible.
I did- and it changed my ENTIRE life!
(I discarded the Catholic church)
Interesting. I was raised as a Protestant. When I finally found the Roman Catholic Church, I felt like I had finally come home. The whole mass is biblically based by the way, including but not limited to the three readings from the bible. Every gesture, every word, is full of meaning and portent.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
**Interfaith Discussion is a discussion only area. Any debate may be moderated under Rule 10**
10. Debating in Non-debate Forums or Posting in DIR/ONLY Forums
Religious forums is structured to provide spaces for many different kinds of conversations. Different kinds of conversations belong in different areas of the forum:

1) Debates should be kept to the debate areas of the forums, including Religious Debates, General Debates, and Political Debates. Debating anywhere other than these forums may result in moderation. Same Faith Debates is governed by special rules described here. Only members of the specified groups(s) can participate in these threads.

2) All DIR (Discuss Individual Religions) forums are for the use of members who identify with those groups or practices. Debating is not permitted in DIRs; debates between members of specified groups should be posted in Same Faith Debates. A member may select up to a maximum of three (3) DIRs with which they identify. A member may change their selection of DIRs at any time, but the total number of DIRs selected must never exceed three (3). Members who do not identify with a DIR group may not post in that DIR section; we recommend creating a thread in the Religions Q&A instead where there is more freedom to comment. DIR forums are not to be used as a cover to bash others outside of the DIR group.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Taught by parents?

Inevitably and unavoidably, but my religious tradition is not the same as either of my parents. I grew up in an interfaith household with one parent Catholic and the other Jewish. I'm a Pagan and a Druid which is quite different from either of those. My parents taught me many things that played a role in my values as a Pagan and a Druid. Most notably, a love of learning, a love of the arts, and a love of nature.

Taught by friends?

Also inevitably and unavoidably - all things we encounter in our lives teach us things. But the role of friends is honestly pretty minimal with one notable exception. I barely knew this girl, but she had an outsized impact on my future religious path by simply being awesome and a good listener. She said she was Wiccan. At the time I had no idea what that meant or what that was. I didn't look into it on my own until later and I'd long since lost contact with her. She taught me next to nothing about Paganism or Wicca, except perhaps that they were nice and accepting.

Is there any REAL evidence to what you believe?

Yes, plenty, though I don't really describe my religious practices as "beliefs" because it is sort of silly to do so and my religion is not faith-based. The gods I worship are literally various aspects of nature. Even the most annoying skeptic can't deny the existence of Sun, Moon, Earth, and so on. Well, they could, but that would be a level of bizarre that I would kind of worry about their wellness.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I believe in cosmic purposes to existence and a purely intelligent fundamental eternal foundational reality. I'm still atheist regarding God concepts.

The arguments for an unconditioned reality, and psychophysical harmony are strong reasons for me to believe as I do. Plus life has purpose, function and dimensionality that cannot be explained physically. Humans have qualities and characteristics that have no physical referent.

Questioning

*Banned*
I believe in cosmic purposes to existence and a purely intelligent fundamental eternal foundational reality. I'm still atheist regarding God concepts.

The arguments for an unconditioned reality, and psychophysical harmony are strong reasons for me to believe as I do. Plus life has purpose, function and dimensionality that cannot be explained physically. Humans have qualities and characteristics that have no physical referent.

You believe the universe INTELLIGENT?