• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHY do you believe?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Then why have Christians kept Old Testament as part of Bible? Bible is not about justice, it is about a psychologically disturbed person who was born out of matrimony and thought (or whose followers think) that he was son of a God. See how he cursed the cities which did not accept him.
It could be argued that Old Testament justice was more merciful than New Testament Justice. At least in the old testament you were quickly stoned or hacked to death, or enslaved for a mere lifetime. One's torment for questioning Jesus is an eternity of torture, for even the slightest offense.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Were you friends with John Lennon when he was over there? ;)
I have liked a few songs that I have heard by Beatles in my younger days. Was not John a Hare-Krishna person?
No, I checked. Google is such a help. 1968. I was a 26-year old at that time, and had not created my first child, a darling daughter, which I did in 1969.
They were Mahesh Yogi's people. George Harrison was into Hare-Krishnas.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It could be argued that Old Testament justice was more merciful than New Testament Justice. At least in the old testament you were quickly stoned or hacked to death, or enslaved for a mere lifetime. One's torment for questioning Jesus is an eternity of torture, for even the slightest offense.
Jesus, as depicted in Bible, is not much different. The exsact words of the Son of the God. He meant that the stones will fall from the sky.
"Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! If the miracles done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I tell you, it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you! And you, Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? No, you will be thrown down to Hades! For if the miracles done among you had been done in Sodom, it would have continued to this day. But I tell you, it will be more bearable for the region of Sodom on the day of judgment than for you!"

Coder

My friend encouraged me to READ the Bible.
(I discarded the Catholic church)

Sirach 43:32
"Beyond these, many things lie hidden;
only a few of his works have I seen.
"

Sirach 1:6
"The root of wisdom—to whom has it been revealed?
Her subtleties—who knows them
?"

Sirach 37:8
"Watch out when one offers advice;
find out first of all what he wants
."

Last edited:
Why focus on the Old Testament when we live in the New Testament?
The assumption that because Jesus is in the New Testament, automatically makes the Old Testament null and void is a misguided one.
The fact that this supposed "god," killed people, commanded others to kill, allowed slavery, and other immoral things cannot be swept under the rug.

if you believed in the God of the Bible, why would religion (which is a mess) change that belief, since God existed before all religions were made up
Because I don't believe it. All claims of god, or gods by religion, are man-made. So why should I believe them? The Bible is contradictory in many ways. Refer to my statement above.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have liked a few songs that I have heard by Beatles in my younger days. Was not John a Hare-Krishna person?
No, I checked. Google is such a help. 1968. I was a 26-year old at that time, and had not created my first child, a darling daughter, which I did in 1969.
They were Mahesh Yogi's people. George Harrison was into Hare-Krishnas.
Your post reminded me of this song:

clara17

Memorable member
Because Jesus changed "not a jot or tittle" -- by His own admission. He never questioned the rampant cruelty, or the injustice displayed by His "loving, merciful God." He endorsed the whole 630 mitzvot. He exhorted slaves to obey their masters.

Is the God of the New testament a different God? Are we violating the 1st commandment? We certainly seem to be cherry-picking to beat the band. :rolleyes:
Im cherry picking nothing. You went on a rant about God's injustice, but ca't provide an example of it.

clara17

Memorable member
Then why have Christians kept Old Testament as part of Bible? Bible is not about justice, it is about a person who thought (or whose followers think) that he was son of a God. See how he cursed the cities which did not accept him.
You can't understand the New without the Old.

clara17

Memorable member
Then do away with religions. Why make such an insidious thing exist?
There is no God, no soul, no day of judgment, no heaven, no hell, no deliverance, no everlasting life, no prophet, no son, no messenger, no manifestation, no mahdi, other than in religions. Religions have taken humanity on a wrong path.
You want me to do away with religions? Im not religious nor do I care to control what other people think.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Because when I look around and my body,see clear creations,impossible that creations came to exist without Creator who made blueprint of everything alive.

Whateverist

There is seems to be an assumption that the question posed by the OP is referring only to Christian belief. But belief is fundamental to being a human being. We all acquire and maintain a disposition toward the world which fundamentally affects our happiness, interest and well being. Belief matters .. a lot, but it doesn't have to be that espoused by any particular denomination or in any way arising from Christianity. It can be and there have been individuals who have become quite notable for their wisdom and humanity whose belief was very much of the Christian kind. But the varieties of human belief are almost as various as the varieties of human religious experience, not that those beliefs have to have arisen in any recognizably religious tradition..

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Taught by parents?
Taught by friends?

Is there any REAL evidence to what you believe?

Didn’t know the first thing about the Bible. Taught by, basically, strangers that later became friends.

Changed the life of my wife, her sister and myself.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
My parents were full time ministers with The Navigators but they were definitely PROTESTANT to the hilt and took it very seriously. I mean, super seriously, I guess because they were full time ministers. Anyway, I remember going home as an adult and throwing myself across my bed and saying aloud to God, "PLEASE don't make me be Catholic - can I be anything but, maybe Lutheran or Episcopalian?" Nope, guess not. I had to be Roman Catholic. Good grief. What a kernuffle. And it takes nearly a year to convert so I had to hear about it all the dang time.