• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do YOU have the right to vote on MY rights?

nutshell

Draka said:
Not true. "Society" as defined by Christian influence over government matters has defined that. You also said you submit to the laws of the land. So why is it then that many other countries have recognized homosexual marriage as legal and a human right and not the U.S.? Because as a country we are extrememtly young and ignorant and have much left to learn. We are still led by the backwards ways of the religious right that are unfortunately still in office. Because as long as the stout ones as you run to the polls to keep them in office, and we can't seem to get through to you that your way of thinking in this modern world in antiquated and no longer reasonably works, we are stuck with living in times of prejudice and stupidity over something that might not even be real. If you are unable to acknowledge that there are humans that are homosexual...that is to say that homosexuals are humans and deservent of the rights that other humans are granted by law, then you must classify them as sub-human. And what gives you the right to do that? Nothing. Your belief that your belief is right? Please. That is no excuse what-so-ever and is the exact reason we have so many blinded by the limits of their own perceptions nowadays.

I never classified anyone as sub-human, but you are, after all, by self proclamation a Dragon Lady. ;)

nutshell

michel said:
Is that your standard Christian outlook, when dealing with others ?

Oh, and BTW, I think Mike's answer to you with a return question was pretty valid. Let us (for pure hypothetical example) take a town where the majority of people were homosexual; do you think they would do all in their power to stop heterosexuals from marrying?

Mike didn't answer. He asked a question.

You must realize you're dealing with an individual and I do not represent standard Christian outlook nomore than you, as an individual, represent Gay outlook.

nutshell

Mike182 said:
yes i am, but that does not make it invalid *bangs head on wall* ok, let me say this then: gay marriage is as much a right as straight marriage

You continue to make the same assertion over and over and over again. What I am asking for is evidence that this assertion is correct and NO ONE has been able to provide that.

(I bet this post gets responded to by another question :sarcastic )

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
nutshell said:
Mike didn't answer. He asked a question.

You must realize you're dealing with an individual and I do not represent standard Christian outlook nomore than you, as an individual, represent Gay outlook.

But surely the way you treat others is in accord with your beliefs on how you should treat others ? - after all, you are a 'standard bearer' for your faith.......as we all are.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
nutshell said:
The point is it's a man and a woman - the definition created by God Himself.
And yet he seems to be the only person who doesn't seem to give a toss about it. At least his lack of comment infers such.

Further, marriage for love is overrated if you ask me. Marriage cannot survive by love alone - you can quote me on that.
Yeah, and I believe she also said something about commitment. What do you reckon about love in conjunction with commitment? Pray enlighten us.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
michel said:
Is that your standard Christian outlook, when dealing with others ?

Oh, and BTW, I think Mike's answer to you with a return question was pretty valid. Let us (for pure hypothetical example) take a town where the majority of people were homosexual; do you think they would do all in their power to stop heterosexuals from marrying?
careful michel, we don't want to get around to soddom
You continue to make the same assertion over and over and over again. What I am asking for is evidence that this assertion is correct and NO ONE has been able to provide that. (I bet this post gets responded to by another question )
nope, not a question..... i would justify my right to marry with the same justification you use to justify your right to marry!

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Pah said:
Secular mararriage has NEVER been sacred. All marriage today is secular. You are wrong, flat out wrong, to apply that word to a secular institution and perhaps more in error to think that a religious "sacredness" should be in a secular government.

New Advent
By many uncivilized races, and by most civilized ones, the marriage ceremony is regarded as a religious rite or includes religious features, although the religious element is not always regarded as necessary to the validity of the union.

I have no idea where you got your information from. Care to share?

Draka

Wonder Woman
nutshell said:
You continue to make the same assertion over and over and over again. What I am asking for is evidence that this assertion is correct and NO ONE has been able to provide that.

If it does then I bet it's because everyone is wondering what your evidence is that your assertion of heterosexual marriage is a human right and not homosexual marriage. Evidence further than religious belief. And you have none. Which is why you are getting the responses you are. You adamently stand there stomping your foot down that you are right because you are right with nothing more that your religious belief to back it up. You believe how you believe and demand that others back up their assertions while still staying within the constrains of your belief. Can't work. Never will. You are unable to see the way others see because you are church instructed not to. Because you choose to adhere to that thought you will not be budged by logical, legal, secular talk or speech. It will not reason with you. So asking for evidence you are unwilling to see makes your question a moot point.

mingmty

Scientist
nutshell said:

There's no "PROOF" or "EVIDENCE", is just common sense, if two grown up persons decide to spend their lifes together getting married they should be allowed to do so, no harm is made to others. Why should they suffer for something they didn't choose?

We straight people forget all the great privileges we have, is a shame that a gay couple can't decide what to do with the body of their partner in the event of death, is a shame both can't get social security when only one works, is a shame we live in such an intolerant society and that this rights are even questioned.

Ormiston

Victor said:
New Advent
By many uncivilized races, and by most civilized ones, the marriage ceremony is regarded as a religious rite or includes religious features, although the religious element is not always regarded as necessary to the validity of the union.

I have no idea where you got your information from. Care to share?

This says "marriage ceremony". Not the same thing as a marriage.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
jamaesi said:
I answered.
i would like to point out that i have also answerd the same question, twice now, each time without a question! nutshel, you lack a valid response to the statements i made, and so you put up the pretence that i have not anserd your question..........

Draka

Wonder Woman
jamaesi and Mike182, he will not recognize your answers for the reasons I have already stated. Mainly...they don't fall into his nice little belief instructed constrains of right and wrong. There is no swaying or convincing him. Any valid answer will go overlooked or disregarded because it is something his belief will not allow him to accept or realize.

Quiddity

Ormiston said:
This says "marriage ceremony". Not the same thing as a marriage.

Most include a ceremony. It's part of the package. To deviate from that is not the norm. That's my point.

Ormiston

Victor said:
Most include a ceremony. It's part of the package. To deviate from that is not the norm. That's my point.

IMO, that's what religion is for: ceremony. That's what religion is good at. What religion is not good at, again IMO, is law/government. Just look at Islamic Law in the middle east. Victor, would you mind giving an example of a common argument against gay marriage that doesn't involve the morality of it? Some example of how it would be a detriment to the "common good" of a country.

Quiddity

Ormiston said:
IMO, that's what religion is for: ceremony. That's what religion is good at. What religion is not good at, again IMO, is law/government. Just look at Islamic Law in the middle east.

I agree. The Catholic Church learned this the hard way. I don't advocate no seperation of Church and State. I think they should be seperate. But that doesn't mean (and this is important) that religious folks should keep their mouth shut because it's a "secular matter". Securalism itself has hints of religious dogma in it already. It's produces morality from people of the US, not just from non-theist.

Ormiston said:
Victor, would you mind giving an example of a common argument against gay marriage that doesn't involve the morality of it? Some example of how it would be a detriment to the "common good" of a country.

No can do. The very fact that you use the phrase "common good" demands me to use my morality.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Victor said:
so if i can provide a religious aspect to my gay marriage....... that is to say, if i can show that a form of deity i worship approves of homosexual marriage, is it then allowable?

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
so if i can provide a religious aspect to my gay marriage....... that is to say, if i can show that a form of deity i worship approves of homosexual marriage, is it then allowable?

My G-d does. : D My G-d will accept your marriage.

... As long as there's some crabcakes. Yum. : D