• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do You Worship?

St0rmE

I know there are many reasons people worship their god(s) I would like to know what they are. Is the reason you worship in thanks for being created? Fear of punishment? Hope for an after life? What motivates you to send prayers to whoever it is you worship?

This is not for any specific religion, I am trying to work out the reasoning.​

Tbone

I know there are many reasons people worship their god(s) I would like to know what they are. Is the reason you worship in thanks for being created? Fear of punishment? Hope for an after life? What motivates you to send prayers to whoever it is you worship?​

This is not for any specific religion, I am trying to work out the reasoning.​

I worship God simply because He is God.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
Again, I have to say that, from my observations, and experiences, the party-line would be love, but most peoples actual motivation is fear of eternal damnation. ( edit- to clarify: I am speaking primarily about Christians here.)

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I honor/celebrate/worship the gods out of respect. I recognize that I depend on them fully and completely for existing, and it is only fitting that I pay them respect for that. It is little different than saying "thank you" to a friend who does you a favor. A secondary reason is because I find the gods awe-inspiring. Celebrating them instills a sense of happiness and peace; it also helps remind me not to take the gifts of life for granted.

idea

Question Everything
I honor/celebrate/worship the gods out of respect. I recognize that I depend on them fully and completely for existing, and it is only fitting that I pay them respect for that. It is little different than saying "thank you" to a friend who does you a favor. A secondary reason is because I find the gods awe-inspiring. Celebrating them instills a sense of happiness and peace; it also helps remind me not to take the gifts of life for granted.

I agree with this, and would add that I see God as a teacher, worship allows me to learn more of His ways so that I can try to become more like Him.

no-body

Now that depends what you mean by worship.

When you realize all is God you worship, there is no choice in the matter. The unconscious is made conscious.

St0rmE

When I say Worship I mean whatever it is you consciously do to pay homage to your god. I realize that smelling a flower and reveling in its glory is a method of worship, but I am focused on the reasons we make the Decision to worship. I have made a list and of course, it is a bare bones explanation of each but after reading it several times I think it is fairly comprehensive. Here it is If after some thought you think I have missed your reason, please post it. I am trying to use these reasons to get a better grasp on human nature and religion as a general idea.
-In thanks for creation
-fear of punishment
-To get things"good weather, crops, children"
-Bring about the fall of their enemies
-For strength and power
-To fit it
-Con People
-Hope for an after Life
-Comfort of tradition
-In thanks for things gained
-A Wish to be a better person
-Fear of someone(s) more powerful than yourself

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm going to tweak your list a little bit to broaden it out and keep it as applicable as possible to a broad range of religious groups.

• Gratitude and thankfulness
    - Example: thankfulness for a good harvest
  • Appeasement
    - Example: to prevent misfortune or to gain special favor
  • Spellcraft/Magic
    - Example: asking for divine assistance with a particular goal (e.g., prayer)
  • Mystical experience
    - Example: profound moments of awe and direct experience of the divine
  • Personal gains
    - Example: personal enlightenment or an afterlife
  • Social or community gains
    - Example: a sense of belonging or supporting a tradition or authority

The examples here are very simple; I could have gone on with many more, but I just wanted to give a start.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I'm going to tweak your list a little bit to broaden it out and keep it as applicable as possible to a broad range of religious groups.

• Gratitude and thankfulness
    - Example: thankfulness for a good harvest
  • Appeasement
    - Example: to prevent misfortune or to gain special favor
  • Spellcraft/Magic
    - Example: asking for divine assistance with a particular goal (e.g., prayer)
  • Mystical experience
    - Example: profound moments of awe and direct experience of the divine
  • Personal gains
    - Example: personal enlightenment or an afterlife
  • Social or community gains
    - Example: a sense of belonging or supporting a tradition or authority

The examples here are very simple; I could have gone on with many more, but I just wanted to give a start.
...which, in the end, all amount to personal gains.

St0rmE

I am in no way questioning your beliefs, or saying one way is wrong, I was just hoping some of us might be willing to look a little deeper into that love and be able to tell me why you choose to worship. Noone wants to think they are selfish enough to worship in hopes for personal gain, but god knows we are not perfect and forgives us for it as long as we try to grow above it. please try to look for the underlying reasons?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The problem with claiming that all human behavior is motivated by personal gain is that it is non-falsifiable. Any and all human behavior can be explained by calling it "selfish." Similarly, all human behavior can be explained by invoking "fate" or predetermination. Also non-falsifiable. Non-falsifiable beliefs have their uses, but I don't find it very interesting to make a statement like that and not explore in greater depth.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Worship the Almighty....yeah...I do.

But not with bent knee....'pray you are worthy to stand before God'
Not with works...He can shame the best of efforts with the least of His own.

Simply put.
I am not my own creation....not my own handiwork.
I suspect expectations from my Creator.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I worship because I feel attracted to do so. When I do not feel atracted to do so, I tend to not do it.

Sometimes I worship before asking for virtues.

When I want material stuff, I tend to mostly use visualization instead of deity woship, but I almost never ask for material stuff...

I should start though, I always say myself I´ll start at any moment :eek: