• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Does Being Diverse Make you Special?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I was just trying to point out that through out history there where white Southern Men who ran underground railroads, even fought their own family members to fight slavery.

White men where the majority that gave women the right to vote.

These champions of justice are always overlooked and lumped in with the knuckle draggers just as the black slave traders are always ignored.

It goes against the grain of demonising a whole group of people aka white guys.

Think about this for just one moment, when white land owners where the only people in power, how on earth could you not credit them for all the improvements that have happened through out history?

The focus has always been on the bad guys and demonising the whole group.

I disagree.

The men in my family....my husband and three boys....are all white males. I refuse to demonize them.

However, I do point out the numbers of white males who own the majority of wealth, who hold positions of government with decision making power for their respective communities, and who seem to dominate the history books where the stories have been "How we came to be where we are" rather than telling the stories of how ALL the immigrants from Europe, Asia, and those from Africa who were kept in captivity, helped us to be where we are.

My point is never to demonize, but to point out what is so. It's a reality check of how things are currently operating. Who has the money? Who makes the decisions with our resources? And then I'll ask why is it so.

The answers that people give are what is telling, I think, because it reveals where people offer their trust and respect, and where people offer their suspicions.

Myself, I have a bone to pick with our system and find it in need of fixing. Personally, I'd love to see an Arab Muslim lesbian woman running the country, but not because I think Arab Muslim lesbian women are more qualified than any other group, but because it would show how far we have come as a culture where diversity is accepted.

Mr. Skittles

No offense taken, but I'd say the Asian side of my family has at least as big a problem.

Looking at Africa, we can see that black folk also have problems with influx of different peoples.
I don't think it's productive to argue which race is the worst. Human nature is universally prone to being awful.

Well Africans kill Africans due to religious-politics. But the facts are there.

Alceste

Vagabond
I was just trying to point out that through out history there where white Southern Men who ran underground railroads, even fought their own family members to fight slavery.

White men where the majority that gave women the right to vote.

These champions of justice are always overlooked and lumped in with the knuckle draggers just as the black slave traders are always ignored.

It goes against the grain of demonising a whole group of people aka white guys.

Think about this for just one moment, when white land owners where the only people in power, how on earth could you not credit them for all the improvements that have happened through out history?

The focus has always been on the bad guys and demonising the whole group.

Women weren't given the right to vote as a present. They fought for it. They pressed their case, and it took time. I can't really credit the male majority for that accomplishment when all they did was listen to reason and change their minds. Likewise the civil rights movement was an accomplishment of black leaders like MLK.

But look, we don't disagree. I wasn't saying there are no decent white people, I'm saying why not identify with "decent people" instead of "white people", since the category "decent people" includes many white people, whereas the category "white people" includes the likes of Rush Limbaugh.

Mr. Skittles

And Ugandans' expulsion of Indians.
And South Africans treatment of whites after apartheid.
And......

Wait....You do realize the dutch are not indigenous Africans?

You do realize that the apartheid involved the unjust exploitation of natives? I am not saying an eye for an eye but anger is the residual effect of being oppressed.

Alceste

Vagabond

You do realize that the apartheid involved the unjust exploitation of natives? I am not saying an eye for an eye but anger is the residual effect of being oppressed.

I agree with that. Racism sucks, but certain allowances have to be made for unavoidable facets of human psychology, like the need for whatever we think "justice" entails.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Tis rather obvious that the "Dutch" aren't "African".
What of it, buster?

I'm familiar with the history. No argument here.
But it illustrates how no race is above descending into inhumanity.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
But look, we don't disagree. I wasn't saying there are no decent white people, I'm saying why not identify with "decent people" instead of "white people", since the category "decent people" includes many white people, whereas the category "white people" includes the likes of Rush Limbaugh.

And ''black people'' includes the likes of Moses Sithole.
Oh, and ''women'' includes the likes of Mary Ann Cotton.

It doesn't seem like a good idea to identify with any racial or gender group...

Last edited:

Mr. Skittles

Tis rather obvious that the "Dutch" aren't "African".
What of it, buster?

I'm familiar with the history. No argument here.
But it illustrates how no race is above descending into inhumanity.

My point is, is that there was a sense of entitlement that the so-called Afrikaans were victims when indeed they posed the same threat as the American Caucasians did to the Africans who were shipped in Virginia in the 1400's. But I agree with your last sentence. Wrong is wrong despite color lines.

I am just saying if the reaction is wrong perhaps we ought to understand the cause.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I understand your point.

I say yay to diversity, but indeed disabled black trisexual ain`t god :p

Most homosexuals I`ve met don`t entertain me that much. Including the boyfriend of a friend :D

I don`t even like that we have woman`s day and not man`s day.

When we have man`s day, I`ll celebrate woman`s .

Me Myself

Back to my username
Women weren't given the right to vote as a present. They fought for it. They pressed their case, and it took time. I can't really credit the male majority for that accomplishment when all they did was listen to reason and change their minds.

1- Change your mind is something huge.

2- Naturaly, women fought for women`s rights, and thanks god they did, but to say that males had nothing to do with it is ridiculous IMHO.

The change wouldn`t have happened if only women wanted it. (even if they were the majority: coming back to the fact that they were opressed on that time, so they were not considered as important)

In the same tone, the accepting of homosexuals is something that not only Gay Lesbians and transexuals themselves fight for or diserve credit for. Any human that fought for it diserves the credit, and to believe only they are fighting for it... well, we know it ain`t truth.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I had not.

My thoughts exactly :p

But it is pretty good to know that at least in paper the day exists xD.

I must admit that it is more than what I had expected, evidenced by the fact i didn`t even think on googling it.

Next time a woman gets mad at me for not congratulating her on Woman`s day I now got a perfect answer :D

Mr. Skittles

Here we go complaining about men.....(ahem some emotional characters like complaining) in a society where there are men who don't like handling parental responsibility and since this notion seems to dominate society why not celebrate the men lost in this social nonsense who dared to be "men, fsthers and productive individuals" in our society?

Alceste

Vagabond
And ''black people'' includes the likes of Moses Sithole.
Oh, and ''women'' includes the likes of Mary Ann Cotton.

It doesn't seem like a good idea to identify with any racial or gender group...

I'm not personally into it, but apart from being a woman I don't belong to any category of people who has been badly abused by some other category. If I did, it would be natural for me to feel some solidarity with others in the abused group and occasionally work together to raise public awareness of the issue, celebrate the progress that has been made and work toward further progress.