• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does God care about Homosexuality?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
You left out the rest though. It was first REPORTED in homosexuals, shortly after it was reprted as being found in haiten(?) immigrants, and the fact that the research also said that those who were reported also had histories of drug abuse or some other such thing. And there's the fact that there are numerous other STDs out there few if any of which would have started in the homosexual community. Besides if your going to use disease to condemn homosexuality then surely you must realize then that that only furthers the case for FEMALE-FEMALE sex as that is the safest in terms of being the lowest risk for sexually transmited diseases. If having a disease makes something bad then heterosexuality is the worst as it is responsible for the creation and spread of nearly all STDs(AIDS being the one possible exception though that is debatable) and Lesbian sex is the best as it carries the lowest risk of STDs.

It's well established now that AIDS spread to humans from chimpanzees. Most likely one or more human hunters were infected when butchering chimpanzees for meat. Those hunters then spread the disease either through homosexual sex or -- very likely -- heterosexual sex.

goraya15

That is not what you said the first time. You didn't talk about most early HIV patients. The statement you made early was most certainly ignorant. If you want to change that statement to reflect something less ignorant, like what you are trying to come up with now, that would be a good idea.

One suggestion, drop the "promiscuous public" label...again, that is demonstrating your ignorance on the topic. You can get the virus having had sex only once, there is no need to be promiscuous.

I, personally, find it very interesting that in this day and age, the AIDS virus has been proven to have stemmed from homosexual behaviour and is almost exclusively transmitted through promiscuous and homosexual behaviour. Just an observation...

As in my original post in red, I clearly mentioned that AIDS (i.e. the HIV virus) originally STEMMED from homosexual behaviour. I merely reworded it in my next post, so I didn't come up with something new.

Second, I believe I should make my "promiscuous public" statement more clear. As a Muslim, I don't believe in pre-marital sex, so any person who does engage in it seems promiscuous to me. Besides, the public is, especially in the west, generally becoming more promiscuous, meaning having more partners in a lifetime, which seems to be what the virus is seemingly thriving on.

On a side note, I make my observations on the virus from an Islamic standpoint of no premarital sex and marriage b/w man and women . In such circumstances, I could not see the AIDS virus surviving. But the world, especially in areas like africa and america, does the oppsite, and as a consequence, I see the virus spreading and thriving. I simply can't see it as a coincidence.

goraya15

It's well established now that AIDS spread to humans from chimpanzees. Most likely one or more human hunters were infected when butchering chimpanzees for meat. Those hunters then spread the disease either through homosexual sex or -- very likely -- heterosexual sex.

The Origin of HIV and the AIDS Epidemic

There exist several types of HIV viruses. The major type of HIV that has become the scourge of the world is the HIV-1 M group. HIV-1 originated from its equivalent in chimpanzees, SIVcpz (simian immunodeficiency virus in chimpanzees). Indeed, the most diverse forms of HIV-1 are found in the range of chimpanzees in west equatorial Africa. (1-4) Similarly, HIV-2 is most closely related to SIV in sooty mangabey monkeys and its most diverse forms are found in regions that overlap with the range of these monkeys. (5-10) The common ancestor of the different HIV-1 M types dates to 1931. (5, 11), [1] SIV transfer from chimpanzees and sooty mangabey monkeys to humans has been documented on at least 7 occasions, and laboratory experiments have revealed the ease with which various SIV strains can infect and replicate within some cells in human blood. (12) SIV strains in two monkey species [ that are butchered and eaten by chimpanzees] hybridized to form SIVcpz. (13) SIV viruses have mutated into HIV viruses, and their transfer to humans is almost certainly a result of the sub-Saharan African practice of butchering and eating chimpanzees, gorillas, and monkeys (bushmeat). (13-15), [2] Indeed, HIV-infection has been documented in sub-Saharan Africa in 1959. (19, 20) A recent analysis of 1,099 Central African bushmeat hunters revealed that 1% of them were infected with the simian foamy virus (SFV), which is a retrovirus like SIV and HIV. The investigators demonstrated three geographically-independent human SFV infections, all acquired from different monkey and ape species: De Brazza's guenon, mandrills, and gorillas. The De Brazza's guenon and mandrill are naturally infected with SFV. Clearly, more AIDS-like viruses are forthcoming for humanity.
In the First-World, AIDS was first diagnosed among American white homosexual men in the early 1980s, but retrospective studies have documented HIV and AIDS among Haitian immigrants to the U.S. and Americans associated with them in the late 1970s. (21), [3] HIV appears to have entered the U.S. around the late 1960s, (21) and was then primarily spread by homosexuals throughout the U.S. and Europe. In a survey on AIDS conducted in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany (FDR), Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, and the U.K, in 1983, the most important contributors to the AIDS epidemic in Europe were male homosexuals (58% of all cases, and likely contracted from the U.S.A., Europe, and Haiti), followed by individuals from Central Africa (26%), and whites who had sex with natives from Central Africa (3%); drug abuse was not a risk factor. (22)
Footnotes:
[1] 95% CI = 1915-1941.
[2] The alternative hypothesis that HIV originated from SIV as a result of the use of contaminated oral polio vaccine in 1950s Central Africa is highly implausible and does not have a shred of evidence in its support. (5, 11, 16-18)
[3] Body fluids obtained from a Norwegian family between 1971 to 1976 revealed a type of HIV-1 infection, acquired earlier than 1971, and this type of HIV is mainly restricted to West Africa. (20)
References:
  1. R. De Leys et al., J Virol 64, 1207 (Mar, 1990).
  2. P. Charneau et al., Virology 205, 247 (Nov 15, 1994).
  3. L. Gurtler, Lancet 348, 176 (Jul 20, 1996).
  4. F. Simon et al., Nat Med 4, 1032 (Sep, 1998).
  5. B. Korber et al., Science 288, 1789 (Jun 9, 2000).
  6. Z. Chen et al., J Virol 71, 3953 (May, 1997).
  7. Z. Chen et al., J Virol 70, 3617 (Jun, 1996).
  8. F. Gao et al., J Virol 68, 7433 (Nov, 1994).
  9. F. Gao et al., Nature 358, 495 (Aug 6, 1992).
  10. V. M. Hirsch, R. A. Olmsted, M. Murphey-Corb, R. H. Purcell, P. R. Johnson, Nature 339, 389 (Jun 1, 1989).
  11. K. Yusim et al., Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 356, 855 (Jun 29, 2001).
  12. T. A. Grimm, B. E. Beer, V. M. Hirsch, K. A. Clouse, J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 32, 362 (Apr 1, 2003).
  13. E. Bailes et al., Science 300, 1713 (Jun 13, 2003).
  14. Bushmeat Project; Save the Great Apes; Chimps,Gorillas, Bonobos, Orangs.
  15. The Jane Goodall Institute.
  16. 16. M. Worobey et al., Nature 428, 820 (Apr 22, 2004).
  17. D. Dickson, Nature 407, 117 (Sep 14, 2000).
  18. S. A. Plotkin, Med Mal Infect 32, 67 (2002).
  19. R. D'Amelio, Revue Int Des Services De Sante Des Forces Armees 63, 216 (1990).
  20. T. Zhu et al., Nature 391, 594 (Feb 5, 1998).
  21. K. E. Robbins et al., J Virol 77, 6359 (Jun, 2003).
  22. M. P. Glauser, P. Francioli, Eur J Clin Microbiol 3, 55 (Feb, 1984).

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member

Thanks for that. I thought it was something along those lines.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

There exist several types of HIV viruses. The major type of HIV that has become the scourge of the world is the HIV-1 M group. HIV-1 originated from its equivalent in chimpanzees, SIVcpz (simian immunodeficiency virus in chimpanzees). Indeed, the most diverse forms of HIV-1 are found in the range of chimpanzees in west equatorial Africa. (1-4) Similarly, HIV-2 is most closely related to SIV in sooty mangabey monkeys and its most diverse forms are found in regions that overlap with the range of these monkeys. (5-10) The common ancestor of the different HIV-1 M types dates to 1931. (5, 11), [1] SIV transfer from chimpanzees and sooty mangabey monkeys to humans has been documented on at least 7 occasions, and laboratory experiments have revealed the ease with which various SIV strains can infect and replicate within some cells in human blood. (12) SIV strains in two monkey species [ that are butchered and eaten by chimpanzees] hybridized to form SIVcpz. (13) SIV viruses have mutated into HIV viruses, and their transfer to humans is almost certainly a result of the sub-Saharan African practice of butchering and eating chimpanzees, gorillas, and monkeys (bushmeat). (13-15), [2] Indeed, HIV-infection has been documented in sub-Saharan Africa in 1959. (19, 20) A recent analysis of 1,099 Central African bushmeat hunters revealed that 1% of them were infected with the simian foamy virus (SFV), which is a retrovirus like SIV and HIV. The investigators demonstrated three geographically-independent human SFV infections, all acquired from different monkey and ape species: De Brazza's guenon, mandrills, and gorillas. The De Brazza's guenon and mandrill are naturally infected with SFV. Clearly, more AIDS-like viruses are forthcoming for humanity.
In the First-World, AIDS was first diagnosed among American white homosexual men in the early 1980s, but retrospective studies have documented HIV and AIDS among Haitian immigrants to the U.S. and Americans associated with them in the late 1970s. (21), [3] HIV appears to have entered the U.S. around the late 1960s, (21) and was then primarily spread by homosexuals throughout the U.S. and Europe. In a survey on AIDS conducted in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany (FDR), Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, and the U.K, in 1983, the most important contributors to the AIDS epidemic in Europe were male homosexuals (58% of all cases, and likely contracted from the U.S.A., Europe, and Haiti), followed by individuals from Central Africa (26%), and whites who had sex with natives from Central Africa (3%); drug abuse was not a risk factor. (22)
Footnotes:
[1] 95% CI = 1915-1941.
[2] The alternative hypothesis that HIV originated from SIV as a result of the use of contaminated oral polio vaccine in 1950s Central Africa is highly implausible and does not have a shred of evidence in its support. (5, 11, 16-18)
[3] Body fluids obtained from a Norwegian family between 1971 to 1976 revealed a type of HIV-1 infection, acquired earlier than 1971, and this type of HIV is mainly restricted to West Africa. (20)
References:
  10. V. M. Hirsch, R. A. Olmsted, M. Murphey-Corb, R. H. Purcell, P. R. Johnson, Nature 339, 389 (Jun 1, 1989).
  11. K. Yusim et al., Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 356, 855 (Jun 29, 2001).
  12. T. A. Grimm, B. E. Beer, V. M. Hirsch, K. A. Clouse, J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 32, 362 (Apr 1, 2003).
  19. R. D'Amelio, Revue Int Des Services De Sante Des Forces Armees 63, 216 (1990).

What site did you pull that off of?

McBell

Admiral Obvious

Footnotes:
[1] 95% CI = 1915-1941.
References:
You forgot to highlight the part about it STEMMING from homosexual behavior.
I wonder why?
Oh yeah.
This article of yours does not state that.
Or even hints to it.

At best, this article reports that it was the homosexual community that it spread within the fastest.
Yet nothing about it stemming from homosexual activity.

Scott C.

Just one guy
I'm glad that you admit that. Most would make more assumptions or ignore the question all together. Frubals for being honest. But it doesn't change the fact that this thread IS about trying to discern why God would care about homosexuality. Darkness (I think it was Darkness) made a good point in that we can't choose who we fall in love with and (correct me if I'm wrong in this) I'm assuming you believe that love comes from God? Well if that's the case then a man falling in love with a man or a woman falling in love with a woman would be just as holy, just as "from God" as the love between a hetero man and hetero woman.

Interesting question. I think love is something that grows over time. I've been married a number of years and I do love my wife more than life itself. The feeling was not as strong when we married, but I cared for her and felt we would be happy together. I "loved" her then, but not nearly as profoundly as now. Shared experiences, good and bad, having kids, etc. have strengthened the bond. I believe that had I married someone else, I would feel the same way about her as I feel for my wife now. So I don't really think we "fall in love". Yes, love comes from God, but I'm not so sure that God causes us to "fall in love" with a particular person. Now to the point of God choosing a spouse other than the one we love. I believe God is more capable than I am at determining who I would be most happy with. Generally God leaves the choice to us - but I think we should seek his guidance through prayer in such a decision. But suppose for some reason God came to me before I was married and said "Scotty, you should not marry that woman. I have selected another for you. I want you to trust me on this one." What should I do? Based on who and what I believe God to be, I would follow his advise knowing that he is wiser than I.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Interesting question. I think love is something that grows over time. I've been married a number of years and I do love my wife more than life itself. The feeling was not as strong when we married, but I cared for her and felt we would be happy together. I "loved" her then, but not nearly as profoundly as now. Shared experiences, good and bad, having kids, etc. have strengthened the bond. I believe that had I married someone else, I would feel the same way about her as I feel for my wife now. So I don't really think we "fall in love". Yes, love comes from God, but I'm not so sure that God causes us to "fall in love" with a particular person. Now to the point of God choosing a spouse other than the one we love. I believe God is more capable than I am at determining who I would be most happy with. Generally God leaves the choice to us - but I think we should seek his guidance through prayer in such a decision. But suppose for some reason God came to me before I was married and said "Scotty, you should not marry that woman. I have selected another for you. I want you to trust me on this one." What should I do? Based on who and what I believe God to be, I would follow his advise knowing that he is wiser than I.

And if a homosexual prays and asks for guidance and feels in his heart that he is meant to be with a man and that God approves of this? If a man "grows to love" another man through living together, raising a family and all that why would that be less sanctioned or less approved of by God? Especially if, as you say, that love comes from God?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I wonder why?
Oh yeah.
Or even hints to it.

At best, this article reports that it was the homosexual community that it spread within the fastest.

Actually the article pretty clearly states chimpanzees were the initial vector for AIDS: "The major type of HIV that has become the scourge of the world is the HIV-1 M group. HIV-1 originated from its equivalent in chimpanzees, SIVcpz (simian immunodeficiency virus in chimpanzees)."

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
But suppose for some reason God came to me before I was married and said "Scotty, you should not marry that woman. I have selected another for you. I want you to trust me on this one." What should I do? Based on who and what I believe God to be, I would follow his advise knowing that he is wiser than I.
Suppose He told you He had selected a man. Would your trust go that far?

goraya15

I wonder why?
Oh yeah.
Or even hints to it.

My apologies. I should have been very specific in mentioning that the mass Aids pandemic we have now, meaning HUMAN TO HUMAN TRANSFER, STEMMED FROM HOMOSEXUAL BEHAVIOUR BETWEEN HOMOSEXUALS.

] HIV appears to have entered the U.S. around the late 1960s, (21) and was then primarily spread by homosexuals throughout the U.S. and Europe. In a survey on AIDS conducted in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany (FDR), Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, and the U.K, in 1983, the most important contributors to the AIDS epidemic in Europe were male homosexuals (58% of all cases

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
First thing to understand about God is that no matter what we do, God is independant of us and we can't benefit Him in any way. Therefore, the only reason that God would tell us (i.e. care) not to be gay would be because he cares enough about us to tell us it must be harmful to the individiual and/or society as a whole and degrades us.

In the Qur'an, God tells us of another culture where homosexuality was widely accepted, I believe it was the people of Lot. God destroyed their township after they refused to listen to Lot's warnings. I, personally, find it very interesting that in this day and age, the AIDS virus has been proven to have stemmed from homosexual behaviour and is almost exclusively transmitted through promiscuous and homosexual behaviour. Just an observation...
No, the first thing to understand about God is that you have no way of knowing whether there is any such thing. The second thing to understand is that if there is, you have no way of knowing anything about Her, including whether we can benefit Her, or what She may want from us. Everything after that is just your personal bias.

goraya15

I believe I have sufficiently backed up my claim, with reasonable proof, that early large scale spread of the HIV virus, namely human to human spread of it, was in a large part due to homosexual activities, which is why I said the AIDS virus stemmed from homosexual behaviour. Nothing so sinister or twisted about it, just a fact.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I believe I have sufficiently backed up my claim, with reasonable proof, that early large scale spread of the HIV virus, namely human to human spread of it, was in a large part due to homosexual activities, which is why I said the AIDS virus stemmed from homosexual behaviour. Nothing so sinister or twisted about it, just a fact.
One copy/paste job from a site that even you admit is anti-gay is not sufficient. :no:

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member

You gave one source with one study. And it is well known in the scientific community that a study is only valid if subsequent studies render the same results. Plus you still have yet to address the other issue I brought up...

moonwater said:
You left out the rest though. It was first REPORTED in homosexuals, shortly after it was reprted as being found in haiten(?) immigrants, and the fact that the research also said that those who were reported also had histories of drug abuse or some other such thing. And there's the fact that there are numerous other STDs out there few if any of which would have started in the homosexual community. Besides if your going to use disease to condemn homosexuality then surely you must realize then that that only furthers the case for FEMALE-FEMALE sex as that is the safest in terms of being the lowest risk for sexually transmited diseases. If having a disease makes something bad then heterosexuality is the worst as it is responsible for the creation and spread of nearly all STDs(AIDS being the one possible exception though that is debatable) and Lesbian sex is the best as it carries the lowest risk of STDs.

Would you care to address these factors?

goraya15

No, the first thing to understand about God is that you have no way of knowing whether there is any such thing. The second thing to understand is that if there is, you have no way of knowing anything about Her, including whether we can benefit Her, or what She may want from us. Everything after that is just your personal bias.

Hmm...another atheist vs. religion discussion. Where to start. Well, let's say the only concrete proof that God exists, without a shadow of a doubt, would be if he revealed Himself to you and conversed with you, or sent you a true dream. Been witness to true dreams, heard about the converse, and am convinced that God exists through all the help I've seen him give to me, my family and those who serve Him.

As for true dreams and converse of my own....still working on it, but I am still very young...so hopefully, still got a few years to work on it