• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does god have to be perfect?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I am not looking of a debate but an understanding of why people need to believe in a perfect God. Why do you feel god must be omni-anything.

From a few conversations I don't know if anyone can explain so I will also take your view on why you think people need a perfect god.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Just as it was comforting when we were very young to know we could trust our parents were right, so too do older people derive comfort in trusting their god because he is always right, which I think translates into a perfect god. As for being an omni- god, I think it's an extension of attributing greatness to him to the nth degree. Not necessarily logical, but rather a rationalization.

arthra

Baha'i
I am not looking of a debate but an understanding of why people need to believe in a perfect God. Why do you feel god must be omni-anything.

From a few conversations I don't know if anyone can explain so I will also take your view on why you think people need a perfect god.

The Baha'i Writings state the Essence of God is unknowable and so His essence is beyond what humans would consider to be perfection as such. At the same time we believe God is the "sum of all perfections":

"...the Divinity of God, which is the sum of all perfections, reflects itself in the reality of man --"

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Some Answered Questions, p. 195

The perfections of God are His attributes which are reflected in the creation but the essence of God is unknowable...

InChrist

Free4ever

In my view, I don't think it is so much about people coming up with the need to believe in a perfect god, as much as it is about that the true Creator God has revealed Himself to be holy, righteous, and all-powerful.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Simple, because imperfect poses issues to some people.

It implies they are flawed, like us. They are human-like, there's competition/wars between them, they aren't THAT powerful... Old gods could die. Is that really worthy of worship, love and admiration? If you wanted to worship something so limited why not just turn to nature, universe or something similar?

Also, most of the time, people who worship these kinds of gods think they are just part of the universe, they are not responsible for its creation. The question is then, why should we bow down to them? What did they do to be worthy of worship?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Generally speaking most conceptions of Gods are far from perfect.

However, some religious stances demand the belief in deities that are perfect in some way, mainly because their practices make no sense otherwise.

Aimsd

I think that religious folks are always seeking a “perfect God”, If there is one constant in the universe, one that has never been shown to have exception, it is the lack of “perfection”.

chinu

chinu

Everyone think, that I am perfect. Nobody think that I am imperfect.
God was perfect, God is perfect, and will be perfect always. But as people themselves are imperfect thus God sounds them imperfect, imo.

Thus, IMO its better that we may look for Perfect-Ourselves, rather than a Perfect-God. :)

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
The perfect God is in the eye of the beholder and people that flatter their Lord in praise,
or deceit. My Lords are perfect, to me, and dignify Man, yet their abilities may be exaggerated
by fanatics or deceivers. I believe Man serves, is supposed too, serve the
Lord, not the vice versa. The Gods have flattered my every desire and I do not judge
them or their personal lives.

My experience make me even consider myself insane, but I am not and secure in my
mental health. The Gods defy reason, a gift from Lady Athena, I must re-enforce that.

The Titan Prometheus did Mankind a detrimental service in teaching us the fire, yet the
Lord Zeus was enraged we did not discover it ourselves, dignity. You will think it is
cruel, even "Zeus" considered his actions, among many, cruel. It is for our dignity. He is
not a Mother and from an age not many of Man would be able to comprehend, yet at
level with the modern age.

Zeus is a name, for God.

My experience with Loki on the other hand I feel I must elaborate on for certain
individuals. I did not judge Loki, I adored him as well, if that is the right term. I like
to laugh and that is his greatest power, as well as deceit. I think he has interacted with
Mankind on numerous occasions, Montezuma, for instance. Yet, he deliberately went
far beyond what was necessary to make me consider him, excuse me, mother *******
diabolical, as well as "Diablo". But he has been quite inconceivably respectful to me.
Many will not believe it but he has told me he is the Lucifer, although not what my
mind machinated, picturing a similar blonde haired and blue eyed individual.

Loki is the very one that patronized, antagonized Jesus, during his meditations
and fast in the desert. He made a joke, I offered him sunblock. Lord Samael is a different
Prince, King of Demons, equally hilarious and noble on most occasions.

pKccNmd.jpg

He's hilarious.. Russian at times, but hilarious.

The All Father has spoken to me, unless I am horribly
and unfortunately deceived. How can you even consider respecting him, what I have
done to him was cruel but what he took from me was unforgivable.
Midgard is not my responsibility, my Son has his own Kingdom.

We choose our favorites and Lord Baldur, the holy Judge, Holy Ghost, still rests.

The All Father is who Christ was talking about, The Holy Father, Asgard is the Holy Kingdom of God.

The New Testament isn't exactly correct and I would quickly be accused of blasephemy, perhaps, but the Vatican, the Church is, has been, horribly corrupt.

---

Edit:

I have learned things about World War 2, things considered treachury in the America's as well as insane to the rest. It was totally about religion and God.

Hitler was creating an acceptable Kingdom of God for Thor. Hitler believed in the Thor, and was making a Kingdom for Thor as well as a grand arena, where Thor would live the rest of his days, merrily.

Lord Thor has told me not all people would accept it. What Hitler was in fact, a perfectionist and extremely cruel. The honest truth was, not all of the Reich comprehended the cruelty happening and
it was considered 'humane', as well as the Nazi being trained to be perfect gentlemen, as well. No people have been more disgraced than the warriors of the Nazi Reich. In the coming years people will
reflect on the reich more and more and Hitler will continue to laugh beyond the grave.

I do not agree with the final decision but this is the truth I have been told and learned. Thor is still with us today.

I told you I will not deceive you, even if I disagree.

Interbreeding, crossbreeding, for instance, is a choice and privilege among many like my own to be respected, Although the Lord may not.

Each genesis of Mankind is sacred, I have been told by St.Michael, and he adores his own, yes, his own.

My kind are sacred, and must be preserved. He was the New Mensch, but outraged it was done without his approval, his statue.

Last edited:

Horrorble

I think it's because a perfect god makes for a more solid foundation for a religion centred around obedience. If god was not perfect what would be the point of obeying his commandments?

Whiterain

Present some African (Black?) Dieties, I may register them in my cockamamie brain. More
took place in the Exodus of the enslaved people of Egypt, not all Hebrew, Israelites.

Going on about St.Michael, he has shared much with me, if you desire his appearance, it
may be to your liking, beautiful blonde hair and gleaming blue eyes, hair varies in length
and style, but he is indisputably recognizable, is the standard of Gods armies and Law.

He talked to me for a long time, discipling me and teaching me about disgust. Most
notably he acknowledges he is a killer. A KILLER. He has been in so many wars along
with various religious figures you would puke as well as letting me know he has a skull
collection, majorely Macedonian, for some reason.

A skull collection, ciao.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I think it's because a perfect god makes for a more solid foundation for a religion centred around obedience. If god was not perfect what would be the point of obeying his commandments?

Attempting to overthrow him, or his role as a reference.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
If my god isn't perfect, then what I say about him is up for discussion and open to argument. My beliefs are perfect, therefore my god has to be perfect.

Whiterain

It is in the eye of the beholder.

St.Michael was the one soldier that ran the Olympian torch and lit the fire in the Olympics
held in WW2, Nazi Germany. He was the New Mensch, without his approval.

I agree with everyone that says that it's in the eye of the beholder. Everyone has a different view of what is "perfect" therefore a "perfect" God will never be the same from one person to the next. But a bigger question is if there is a "perfect" God, why do people believe that his creations are "imperfect"? I never understood that.