• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does my God allow children to die? Is he evil?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I’ve already told you that as far as suffering is concerned the God of the Bible is subsequent to a question of fact. And that fact is that self-evidently suffering exists. And so for you to say the God of the Bible is not described as ‘all merciful’ is in agreement with what I’ve been arguing all along. And that applies to the attribute of omnibenevolence: I’m simply saying that there is no omnibenevolent God, as self-evidently it would be self-contradictory to argue otherwise. So let’s just sum up so far. I’m saying an all merciful and omnibenevolent God is impossible because evil and suffering exist as a fact, and you are saying the Biblical God is not those things. So it seems to me that we are now finally on the same page?
Since neither of us thinks all God who forgives every offence temporally then neither do we disagree or my God conflict with reality. I don't defend the God you described because the Bible never posits him. I believe any sin may receive temporal punishment either directly or corporately, and if our sinful nature is not repented of we will never be forgiven but suffer the eternal penalty of non being after perhaps a period of time in a classic Hell. Your attacking something I am not defending nor positing.

There are no ‘semantic technicalities’ on my part: I am simply stating what is a plain fact; and Biblical accounts do not make a fact not a fact.
No, but they sure have made many a perceived a fact an actual false claim to being factual. Entire museums are full of artifacts experts said never existed but the bible spoke about. What I meant was your demanding I compare a God who always forgives because you assigned the term all merciful to him. Since you making an entire cased based on a label I had to see if the label is legitimate. It isn't so that case isn't. Where did you get that term anyway? I hear Muslim's use it and it may even by in a obscure creed, but in general it is not used to describe the bible's God. God is usually said to be long suffering but will eventually enact justice, here or then. Here is the most applicable verse concerning what you said and also the most explanatory and emphatic I can think of. In general this describes God.

New International Version
The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

Life is an ‘important commodity for humans’, but only from the point where they began to exist. And he’s ‘expressing his nature’ to whom, or for whom? God is not just a function, but is supposed to be a personal, conscious being that does things for a reason or with purpose.
1. Personal means having the means to chose. God chose too create.
2. God did so as an expression of his nature and not by any need of any kind. I may be perfectly content and because I am content planting a tree in the garden may be how I express that.
3. I did not need the tree but once planted and If I have a purpose for the tree then certain things necessarily follow.

I see no problem here anywhere.

Are you saying that the life of people that will exist 100 years from now are not important to us? We sure are spending a lot of more ensuring they have a habitable planet for nothing then.

‘A natural expression of his ability’ simply prompts more questions. Why is he expressing his ability - to see if he can still work the ole magic perhaps? Seriously, creation requires a purpose. And there is no coherent purpose. And suffering is not a necessity for free will. Suffering wasn’t something already existent, never mind necessarily existent, God created it. And not even God can erase a thing done. So, yes, a God that exists on those terms you describe might indeed be a monster. For is a murderer of children ever absolved from his crime?
Is it not almost (actually necessarily it is a fact) that God would have reasons for things he would not give or that even if given we could comprehend. If I feel good or am content I love to express that by creation or trying to give others some of what I am experiencing or at least the chance to chose to do what is required to have it. Is that not at least a good enough possibility? Do you have to know everything about a infinite being before you could believe it could exist. Good luck and there would be no need for faith in that case at all.

A creation designed for love was not necessary but once a creation designed for freely given love existed then freewill is absolutely necessary and in a just world would also necessitate suffering. The only area you can begin to drive any wedge is in between God and purpose. There exists no cracks after that point.

Your last sentence is specious because you’re using evil as pretence for God’s judgement when it is self-evident that evil exists only because God the Creator of all things caused it to exist.
[/QUOTE]If you mean evil as the natural penalty for sin then yes God is responsible for it but it is not really an active effort. If a being is perfect and the source of all life then creations that rebel have no choice but to live separately from life, love, contentment, etc... because God cannot eternally dwell with rebellion forever and remain God. Rebels must go where God isn't. Since God is everywhere they must go to no where. As for the temporal results of sin these are usually specific or generalized evidence of what rebellion leads to. There is even a bible verse on this. The one so often mangled by non-theists.

King James Bible
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

And here is the greatest commentator in histories interpretation which seems to agree with mine.

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

45:5-10 There is no God beside Jehovah. There is nothing done without him. He makes peace, put here for all good; and creates evil, not the evil of sin, but the evil of punishment. He is the Author of all that is true, holy, good, or happy; and evil, error, and misery, came into the world by his permission, through the willful apostasy of his creatures, but are restrained and overruled to his righteous purpose. This doctrine is applied, for the comfort of those that earnestly longed, yet quietly waited, for the redemption of Israel. The redemption of sinners by the Son of God, and the pouring out the Spirit, to give success to the gospel, are chiefly here intended. We must not expect salvation without righteousness; together the Lord hath created them. Let not oppressors oppose God's designs for his people. Let not the poor oppressed murmur, as if God dealt unkindly with them. Men are but earthen pots; they are broken potsherds, and are very much made so by mutual contentions. To contend with Him is as senseless as for clay to find fault with the potter. Let us turn God's promises into prayers, beseeching him that salvation may abound among us, and let us rest assured that the Judge of all the earth will do right.

Context is everything.

The word for evil here is Ra, (I believe) and needs to be understood as the Hebrews understood it.

technomage

Finding my own way
Your meta-physical preference does not have any effect of how good an argument was.
Excuse me, but while that may be a general truism, this particular discussion revolves around a metaphysical concept. Therefore, yes, metaphysical definitions do affect the truth of the argument.

dave_

If we accept existence of god then by killing a baby we do it a favor.Because it goes directly to heaven.Should the baby live perhaps as an adult he/she would kill a baby or become atheist and go to hell for eternity.Making someone suffer for eternity now thats real evil.

Last edited:

AmbiguousGuy

If we accept existence of god then by killing a baby we do it a favor.Because it goes directly to heaven.Should the baby live perhaps as an adult he/she would kill a baby or become atheist and go to hell for eternity.Making someone suffer for eternity now thats real evil.

Abortion is holy?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly?

Did you mean to put question marks in front of the first three sentences, - making this sarcasm?

Or do you actually believe it is better to murder children, just in case they might do wrong in the future?

Last edited:

dave_

I didnt say holy but it will be good for the baby.I wouldnt want to entrust my child to a god like this.

Last edited:

AmbiguousGuy

Or do you actually believe it is better to murder children, just in case they might do wrong in the future?

It's cognitive dissonance for some Christians.

They think that innocent babes go straight to heaven. No chance of hell.

So the necessary conclusion is that abortion must be holy. If we really love the children, we want to assure their place in heaven. But the only way to assure their place in heaven is for them to die before they're born.

It's a classic puzzle for some conservative religionists.

I have, from time to time, brought it to their attention.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Ingledsva said:
It's cognitive dissonance for some Christians.

They think that innocent babes go straight to heaven. No chance of hell.

So the necessary conclusion is that abortion must be holy. If we really love the children, we want to assure their place in heaven. But the only way to assure their place in heaven is for them to die before they're born.

It's a classic puzzle for some conservative religionists.

I have, from time to time, brought it to their attention.

Ah, I see. The ultimate conclusive twist in their reasoning. :)

cottage

Your meta-physical preference does not have any effect of how good an argument was. The concept 2 + 2 = 4 is true in any language, religion, culture, time period, or bias. The one place it isn't true is for Kraus, who said 2 + 2 = 5 by mangling some unrelated and experimental mathematics by making an absolute value a variable. He also said that the sum of every integer from 1 - infinity was 1/12th. However for the other 99.999999999999999% Truth is independent of whether it is convenient.

:clapThis must be the one and only time I've ever agreed with you. :)

kjw47

You are right making someone suffer for eternity would be 100% evil--so we all know it is a false teaching from false religions that do not know God or his son.

cottage

Since neither of us thinks all God who forgives every offence temporally then neither do we disagree or my God conflict with reality. I don't defend the God you described because the Bible never posits him. I believe any sin may receive temporal punishment either directly or corporately, and if our sinful nature is not repented of we will never be forgiven but suffer the eternal penalty of non being after perhaps a period of time in a classic Hell. Your attacking something I am not defending nor positing.

But you were! You’ve progressively backed out of your former position where you were attempting to find a way around the contradiction. It seems to me that the argument is now settled: suffering exists and there is no omnibenevolent God. And that is entirely consistent with the Bible (which isn’t of course proof of anything). I have the overriding impression that you’re defending what you want to believe rather than the doctrine of Biblical Theism, in which suffering is reflected as much as it is in life generally. But this isn’t really surprising since an abiding self-interest is certainly more elemental and necessary than any religious belief. In any action, event, thought or conception the self is absolutely prior. Even those who give up their lives for their God, or gods, are first giving consideration to the prior self. God must logically come second.

1. Personal means having the means to chose. God chose too create.
2. God did so as an expression of his nature and not by any need of any kind. I may be perfectly content and because I am content planting a tree in the garden may be how I express that.
3. I did not need the tree but once planted and If I have a purpose for the tree then certain things necessarily follow.

I see no problem here anywhere.

I see plenty! You have not given any logical explanation as to why God chose to create the world. If God is a personal, conscious being then creation would not have happened without a reason. You concede that a purpose is necessary but fail to tell us what that purpose is. But as I’ve demonstrated several times previously any reason or purpose runs to a contradiction. I’ll post my full argument for you again if you’ve forgotten.

you saying that the life of people that will exist 100 years from now are not important to us? We sure are spending a lot of more ensuring they have a habitable planet for nothing then.

No, I’m not. I’m saying quite evidently than the importance of life for humans only existed at, and from, the point where humans actually began to exist.

I haven’t responded to your every paragraph because it just seems to be lots of convoluted explanations and attempts at justifying evil, which of course confirms my argument. But if there was anything you really need me to address then please post it again.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Excuse me, but while that may be a general truism, this particular discussion revolves around a metaphysical concept. Therefore, yes, metaphysical definitions do affect the truth of the argument.
I did not say meta-physics was bad. I said "what works for you" is about the worst possible way to determine theological truth there could ever be. Theology is not a self help routine. It is either the greatest truth possible or the worst evil imaginable. My problem was with "preference" not metaphysics. Did that clear it up?

1robin

Christian/Baptist

That certainly is because you are assuming sovereignty over life you do not have and about a life you did not create. Your depriving it of it's God given purpose without justification. This is so absurd I do not think further comment necessary.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly?

Did you mean to put question marks in front of the first three sentences, - making this sarcasm?

I am certainly glad to see even you call this into question.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
You are right making someone suffer for eternity would be 100% evil--so we all know it is a false teaching from false religions that do not know God or his son.
What if as the Bible says the people who reject God get exactly what they wanted? A place without him. The only place he is not is non-existence. I think the Bible teaches ultimate annihilation for those who deny their creator. Where is the injustice?

technomage

Finding my own way
My problem was with "preference" not metaphysics. Did that clear it up?
It does not make your argument any more accurate, Robin. Unless you choose to engage in special pleading (_Your_ God-concept is merely metaphysical preference, _mine_ is absolute truth), the Problem of Evil is not effective against CC's God concept. (It is only marginally effective against yours, and then only if one wishes to ignore the entire field of theodicy.)