• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does my God allow children to die? Is he evil?

AmbiguousGuy

Just to let you know, I have officially ignored you after one of your last posts. You are not sincere and are only antagonistic. I normally get around to putting people I consider so on my ignore list and it is long over due. So I mercifully will not be able to see what you post.

You lasted much longer than I thought you would when we first met.

Anyway, don't despair. I will continue to spread the Truth in your absence.

Meanwhile, God doesn't care at all what we believe about any particular doctrine. I'm pretty sure of that.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Kind of happenstance though...

Much of the advice given by Jesus I am happy to accept as good advice but it's not that I've chosen to believe of disbelieve. My circumstances, my upbringing, my culture all dictate what make sense to me. I don't choose to believe, I believe what makes sense to believe.

So what I choose to believe or disbelieve is is not ultimately in my control. So if I go to heaven or I don't, it not my fault, not in my control.

Why should I be punished for something that is not in my control? I really don't think God is mean-spirited enough to punish people for something that is beyond their control.
There have been millions that have been saved on the words of Christ in nations where the faith was a death sentence. Your speaking about influence not capacity. The Christian faith its self began in a nation hostile to it in an empire intolerant of it. Do not use circumstances as an excuse. The bible and the stakes it makes clear do not justify claiming peer pressure is the arbiter of your will. It was not convenient or not popular will not suffice. It is within your control entirely.

BTW God created all life, and if it is used to deny or reject it's creator it is taken back. Annihilated, not burned forever. That was a Catholic scare tactic misinterpreted from a analogy with the valley of Gehenna.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
There have been millions that have been saved on the words of Christ in nations where the faith was a death sentence. Your speaking about influence not capacity. The Christian faith its self began in a nation hostile to it in an empire intolerant of it. Do not use circumstances as an excuse. The bible and the stakes it makes clear do not justify claiming peer pressure is the arbiter of your will. It was not convenient or not popular will not suffice. It is within your control entirely.

So you could "choose" to actually believe in little purple men living on the moon to the point you would stake your eternal soul on it?

I don't think so.

Look, I don't believe in the authority of the Bible not because it is inconvenient or I'd rather it not be true. To me it doesn't make reasonable sense to accept it's authority. I can't change what does and does not seem reasonable to me. Either is does or it doesn't.

BTW God created all life, and if it is used to deny or reject it's creator it is taken back. Annihilated, not burned forever. That was a Catholic scare tactic misinterpreted from a analogy with the valley of Gehenna.
Punishment/reward... Heaven/eternal life or non-existence. Isn't non-existence a punishment or at least a consequence of unbelief?

But the point is I can't choose to believe in something that doesn't make any sense to believe in. To me it doesn't make any sense. I perfectly understand to you it does but I am not you. My life experiences are different. It's not my fault my life is different then yours. So why should I "suffer" non-existence because the circumstances of my life have brought about a disbelief in Christian doctrine?

And ok maybe you'd make the argument that accept enough of Jesus' "good" teaching to gain eternal life but isn't that I have to accept that Jesus died to pay the price of my sins?

That I'll never do. I would never accept someone else paying the price for my transgressions. It's not honorable, it's not justice. If God decides I deserve non-existence then I will happily accept that rather than pretend I don't because of someone else's actions. I am not a pretender but that is what it seems I would have to be to get into heaven according to Christian doctrine.

I can pretend I believe so I can pretend I have some claim to heaven. That's not me. I'm not saying that is right or wrong. I'm saying that is the reality of who I am which is not something I chose to be. It's just who I happen to be.

If I was born into different circumstance, all this pretending might be perfectly fine with me.

I don't judge you for you belief or non-belief. I accept that is who you are. If God can't accept me for who I am then that's reality. It's non-existence for me not because of any choice I made or didn't make but because of who I am.

"This is me God, judge me for who I am, not who you want me to be. I am not Jesus. So if that means "I" am not worthy or undeserving lets accept the reality of that and not pretend otherwise."

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
So you could "choose" to actually believe in little purple men living on the moon to the point you would stake your eternal soul on it?

I don't think so.
Well I could, but wouldn't. The fact here is a mountain of evidence for God and none for purple people on the moon makes this whole analogy irrelevant. Are you trying to say you may only believe in what is proven to a certainty? Can you state anything that meets that criteria? Just one? You can't equate a faith so reasoned the greatest and most reasonable among us have held it, compare it to something pathetically ridiculous and call that an argument. That is propaganda not reason.

Look, I don't believe in the authority of the Bible not because it is inconvenient or I'd rather it not be true. To me it doesn't make reasonable sense to accept it's authority. I can't change what does and does not seem reasonable to me. Either is does or it doesn't.
That is not an argument. Let's get specific. The majority of NT scholars on both sides agree to four among a great many of the bible's claims as historical.

1. Christ came on the scene with a sense of divine unprecedented authority.
2. He was crucified by Rome and died.
3. His tomb was found empty.
4. Many people including his enemies sincerely claimed to have met him after death.

I claim the best explanation is that given in the Gospels for the evidence of these reliable historical details.

You must show there exists a better explanation for all four or quit claiming faith unreasonable.

Punishment/reward... Heaven/eternal life or non-existence. Isn't non-existence a punishment or at least a consequence of unbelief?
Yes, but it is a very just punishment. Unlike burning forever would be. Life in every category indicates an objective moral realm we are aware of that has no natural explanation. Eternal judgment is reasonably consistent with that.

But the point is I can't choose to believe in something that doesn't make any sense to believe in. To me it doesn't make any sense. I perfectly understand to you it does but I am not you. My life experiences are different. It's not my fault my life is different then yours. So why should I "suffer" non-existence because the circumstances of my life have brought about a disbelief in Christian doctrine?
I can't tell you to believe. That is not my claim. My claim is this. The fact is so many millions of histories most intelligent and rational men have been believers, and since hundreds of millions of claims to experiences of God, and since so much evidence exists that you cannot claim faith is unreasonable. You may not be convinced but you cannot claim my faith is not justified.

And ok maybe you'd make the argument that accept enough of Jesus' "good" teaching to gain eternal life but isn't that I have to accept that Jesus died to pay the price of my sins?
At England's lowest point in WW2 Churchill turned to a Christian not a secular person to address the nation. I will let him answer you.

“I am trying to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: ‘I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept His claim to be God.’ That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic—on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg—or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon; or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.
Lewis's trilemma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Believing in Christ as a moral teacher will never get you to heaven, trying to be like him will not do it. You must accept him as savior and yourself as rightly condemned and be born again.

That I'll never do. I would never accept someone else paying the price for my transgressions. It's not honorable, it's not justice. If God decides I deserve non-existence then I will happily accept that rather than pretend I don't because of someone else's actions. I am not a pretender but that is what it seems I would have to be to get into heaven according to Christian doctrine.
There we have it. You have a personal objection to a concept that will not allow you to accept it. I would have not said so, but having been both an atheist and a Christian I already knew this but since you stated it I can agree.

I can pretend I believe so I can pretend I have some claim to heaven. That's not me. I'm not saying that is right or wrong. I'm saying that is the reality of who I am which is not something I chose to be. It's just who I happen to be.
You are stating what you are willing to do. I am stating what is true.

If I was born into different circumstance, all this pretending might be perfectly fine with me.
Pretending is not of any benefit in theology. In fact religions are either a the greatest good if true, or the greatest evils if false.

I don't judge you for you belief or non-belief. I accept that is who you are. If God can't accept me for who I am then that's reality. It's non-existence for me not because of any choice I made or didn't make but because of who I am.
It is clear you do not like the idea of your being accountable. I am not hear to debate what you prefer, but what is true. I did not choose Christianity because I liked it, I chose it because in spite of my antagonism I was compelled to accept it as true.

"This is me God, judge me for who I am, not who you want me to be. I am not Jesus. So if that means "I" am not worthy or undeserving lets accept the reality of that and not pretend otherwise."

Have you lied? Then you and I are liars.
Have you stolen anything ever? Then we are thieves.
etc.......

How can God remain God and heaven remain heaven if it is full of liars and thieves? I have been pardoned of my merited condemnation. All I had to do is admit the truth, I am guilty.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Does that include parasitic wasps?

Ciao

- viole
That is a reasonable question. I can only give my opinion. When the first primate with a soul (Adam). Told God that we rejected his sovereignty over nature and we would take it from there. We were granted exactly what we asked for. He no longer supervised nature or our environment at least for our optimization. He left it to take i's own course and only rarely intervenes. Things are left to deteriorate and mutate as natural law allows. I find exactly hat I expect given this. Bunny rabbits and great white sharks. Great evil and great good. I have no idea when that occurred or if Genesis is literal or not but almost every culture includes a belief in a historical great period that fell into a riot of random deterioration that can however be restored. I did not mean to suggest God creates every individual life, but he is the ultimate source of all life.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
That is a reasonable question. I can only give my opinion. When the first primate with a soul (Adam). Told God that we rejected his sovereignty over nature and we would take it from there. We were granted exactly what we asked for. He no longer supervised nature or our environment at least for our optimization. He left it to take i's own course and only rarely intervenes. Things are left to deteriorate and mutate as natural law allows. I find exactly hat I expect given this. Bunny rabbits and great white sharks. Great evil and great good. I have no idea when that occurred or if Genesis is literal or not but almost every culture includes a belief in a historical great period that fell into a riot of random deterioration that can however be restored. I did not mean to suggest God creates every individual life, but he is the ultimate source of all life.

Well, it is refreshing to hear a baptist calling Adam a primate.

Do you think there were no parasitic wasps before Adam has been endowed with a soul?

I feel a slight cognitive dissonance here. Maybe you can help me to resolve it. Calling Adam a primate makes me think you believe in evolution. But if you believe in evolution, you cannot possibly believe that parasic wasps, or your above mentioned sharks, evolved as such during the brief time homo sapiens was present.

Ciao

- viole

AmbiguousGuy

The majority of NT scholars on both sides agree to four among a great many of the bible's claims as historical.

4. Many people including his enemies sincerely claimed to have met him after death.

An absolutely false claim. I can't believe you keep posting it even after I've corrected you.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
1robin said:
he majority of NT scholars on both sides agree to four among a great many of the bible's claims as historical.

An absolutely false claim. I can't believe you keep posting it even after I've corrected you.

I agree with you. Most scholars do not agree that all four of those are historical!

1. Coming with "a sense of divine unprecedented authority," does not mean you actually have any "divine authority."

2. Josephus on Jesus is thought to be a total forgery. Tacitus is thought to perhaps be partially forgery. His info about persecution of Christians is correct, but his add-on about Jesus is possibly forged.

However, there is no problem with Jesus calling himself special, and getting killed by the Romans. They killed many such.

3. Absolutely NO proof his tomb was found empty, or if it even existed. That claim was written long after his death.

4. No proof people met him after his death. Again - that claim was written long after his death.

technomage

Finding my own way
Josephus on Jesus is thought to be a total forgery.

This is incorrect. The majority view is that the bigger passage (18:3:3) has interpolations, but that big chunks of it are genuine. The shorter passage (20:9:1) is almost universally accepted.

Tacitus is thought to perhaps be partially forgery.

Not by any serious scholars. It's not an eyewitness account, of course, but it is nearly universally accepted as genuine.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
This is incorrect. The majority view is that the bigger passage (18:3:3) has interpolations, but that big chunks of it are genuine. The shorter passage (20:9:1) is almost universally accepted.

Not by any serious scholars. It's not an eyewitness account, of course, but it is nearly universally accepted as genuine.

Large chunks are correct because they chronicle the problems with the Jews.

There is no proof Josephus actually wrote the Jesus paragraphs. Nor was he alive when these events supposedly took place. If he actually wrote them - and the church didn't fudge the material - they would still just be an old story he heard.

If you look at Tacitus paragraph, you notice it is a jumbled mix of times in one passage, and he does not use Jesus - but Christus - and we know several people claiming to be the Christos were destroyed by the Romans, including at least one after the time of Jesus. Also a secondary group at that time calling themselves Christians. This has been brought up by several people here already.

technomage

Finding my own way
Large chunks are correct because they chronicle the problems with the Jews.

Excuse me, I am speaking solely of the two Jesus passages.

Your other objections are irrelevant. These counter-arguments have been repeatedly discussed, and rejected, by the scholarly community. Yes, there are still adherents to your views ... but there is a reason such views are called (at best) "fringe scholarship."

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Well I could, but wouldn't. The fact here is a mountain of evidence for God and none for purple people on the moon makes this whole analogy irrelevant. Are you trying to say you may only believe in what is proven to a certainty? Can you state anything that meets that criteria? Just one? You can't equate a faith so reasoned the greatest and most reasonable among us have held it, compare it to something pathetically ridiculous and call that an argument. That is propaganda not reason.

Actually I'm just pointing out that you couldn't believe in something that for you is not reasonable to believe in.

That is not an argument. Let's get specific. The majority of NT scholars on both sides agree to four among a great many of the bible's claims as historical.

I claim the best explanation is that given in the Gospels for the evidence of these reliable historical details.

You must show there exists a better explanation for all four or quit claiming faith unreasonable.
First I'm not saying your faith is unreasonable. In fact I'm saying the opposite. For you having faith is quite reasonable.

Second, since I don't see it as reasonable to accept the Bible as a historical document none of the statements you've made have any value in an argument. Where you say there is evidence, I say there is none. In which case arguing about purple people living on the moon has just as much meaning.

Yes, but it is a very just punishment. Unlike burning forever would be. Life in every category indicates an objective moral realm we are aware of that has no natural explanation. Eternal judgment is reasonably consistent with that.
No I don't agree there exist an objective moral realm. I have my morals. They may or may not be the same as yours. We may have some agreement in some or many cases. That doesn't make them objective.

I can't tell you to believe. That is not my claim. My claim is this. The fact is so many millions of histories most intelligent and rational men have been believers, and since hundreds of millions of claims to experiences of God, and since so much evidence exists that you cannot claim faith is unreasonable. You may not be convinced but you cannot claim my faith is not justified.
Again I'm not saying its not. For you it's justified. However I am not you. There is really no reason to think it has to be justified for me.

At England's lowest point in WW2 Churchill turned to a Christian not a secular person to address the nation. I will let him answer you.
All we have is hearsay to determine who/what Jesus was. I don't know the authors of this story. Don't know what kind of person they where. Whether they had any credibility or where liars. I know better then attempt to judge someone's sanity or lack of it based on what is reported by a third party. To request that I do so is IMO unreasonable. I'd be happy to tell Churchill, if he were still around or anyone else that.

Believing in Christ as a moral teacher will never get you to heaven, trying to be like him will not do it. You must accept him as savior and yourself as rightly condemned and be born again.

Right so you're confirming my understanding of Christian doctrine.

There we have it. You have a personal objection to a concept that will not allow you to accept it. I would have not said so, but having been both an atheist and a Christian I already knew this but since you stated it I can agree.
Sure, but I didn't chose to have this principle. It just happens to be the way I feel. I could not choose to feel otherwise.

You are stating what you are willing to do. I am stating what is true.
Your are stating what is true for you, I 'm stating what is true for me.

Pretending is not of any benefit in theology. In fact religions are either a the greatest good if true, or the greatest evils if false.
Good and evil is a matter of personal opinion. IMO there is both good and bad in religion. So no reason to take it as an either/or. IMO many religions are created with the greatest sincerity. But we are only human and prone to making many mistakes.

It is clear you do not like the idea of your being accountable. I am not hear to debate what you prefer, but what is true. I did not choose Christianity because I liked it, I chose it because in spite of my antagonism I was compelled to accept it as true.
Actually no. I saying I don't like the idea of not being accountable. And I accept that you were compelled to accept it. However you still want to call it a choice. I don't think is was much of a choice for you. You simply accepted what seemed reasonable for you to accept despite what you'd personally prefer to have true. I simply have done the same but perhaps a little more aware it wasn't a matter of choosing what to believe. Whatever experiences, research, evidence available led me to the only choice I could make. To have chosen otherwise I would have to be someone else.

Have you lied? Then you and I are liars.
Have you stolen anything ever? Then we are thieves.
etc.......
So what? I lied and stole when I was younger and thought myself justified in doing so. I made decisions which seemed reasonable at the time and could not have chosen to do otherwise. Now I choose not to lie or steal not because I am a better person but because I am a different person then I was. If God wants to judge who I was instead of who I am now, that's fine. I couldn't have been anybody else at the time anymore then I could be someone else now.

How can God remain God and heaven remain heaven if it is full of liars and thieves? I have been pardoned of my merited condemnation. All I had to do is admit the truth, I am guilty.
I don't know, I am not God. I make no claims about what God can and can't do. I admit the truth, I am me. I am guilty of being who I am. You claim to be pardoned because of someone else's work. This is morally fine for you. For me it would be very immoral not to be accountable for who I am. I don't choose to feel that way. It just happens to be the way I feel.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
100%. My record merits Hell on it's own. That is why my record had to be exchanged with Christ's perfect record legally on the cross in order to me to get to heaven. AS the bible says it is no longer me but the Christ that lives within me that will be judged at the throne and it will pass where my own would fail. My point was that you can get to heaven despite having believed bad doctrine as long as you believed enough good doctrine to become born again. As long as you are saved and your name is found in the book of life it makes no difference what denomination you belonged to, or even if you belonged to one at all.
Okay, thanks for the clarification, and I actually agree with you.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
...My point was that you can get to heaven despite having believed bad doctrine as long as you believed enough good doctrine to become born again.
That's the thing, where is the point where "good" doctrine becomes bad? Catholics, JW's, Mormons and others believe very different than a Baptist. When they say, "I believe in Jesus," is it the same person that you believe in? Can they remain in those sects and denominations and still be "saved"?

But more towards what the OP was about. Many of us that argue with fundy, evangelical, and born-againer types of Christians don't believe in their definition of who God is. Those types of Christians will claim they believe in a very literal interpretation of the Bible. When we read the Bible, God sounds wrathful, vengeful, jealous etc. He sounds very similar to the warrior gods of the other neighboring people in that area. Each group of people probably prayed to their god and asked for help and protection against their enemies. If they won a battle, they probably all attributed the victory to their god.

So what must it have been like in those days? To be a warrior with Joshua? To be there, sword in hand at Jericho when the walls fall down? You rush in and start killing everyone in sight. You turn around and there is a young woman pregnant and with a small child. Do you obey your God and cut them to pieces?

If you do, then that is what some of us are trying to say. That is not a god worth believing in. However, if you say that it is not literal but only an ancient peoples beliefs. It was their myths, legends and folklore, then that's different. But you don't say that. You say it is history. God did do that. And all of that is bloody, gruesome and unnecessary of a loving, kind, merciful, and just Creator. For us? For people to kill each other and then claim their god told them to? That's different. We're very capable of doing something like that. But, hopefully, we've grown spiritually enough to make up and create and believe in nicer, kinder gods.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So what must it have been like in those days? To be a warrior with Joshua? To be there, sword in hand at Jericho when the walls fall down? You rush in and start killing everyone in sight. You turn around and there is a young woman pregnant and with a small child. Do you obey your God and cut them to pieces?

Here's what I ask, "Do you obey the person who claims to be speaking for God and cut them to pieces?"

No man speaks for God. Man speaks for himself. When we act we are accountable for that action, no one else. That "God told me to do it" should never be acceptable as an excuse.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Excuse me, I am speaking solely of the two Jesus passages.

Your other objections are irrelevant. These counter-arguments have been repeatedly discussed, and rejected, by the scholarly community. Yes, there are still adherents to your views ... but there is a reason such views are called (at best) "fringe scholarship."

And you are entitled to your view, as am I. :)

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Here's what I ask, "Do you obey the person who claims to be speaking for God and cut them to pieces?"
I took a quick look and it sounds like the "Lord" spoke directly to Joshua and in several villages God told him to kill all the inhabitants. If that is what a kind and merciful and loving God does, I glad there isn't an evil god running around out there in the spirit world. If there was, he could disguise himself as the good, real God and probably trick a lot of people into doing a lot of nasty things.

But isn't it funny, we make laws to curb unusual behavior. We kind of know what is right and wrong, what is just and unjust, in spite of what our different religions tell us. Because, some of our laws are made to protect us from them, the over "enthusiastic" religious people and their gods and their leaders. So I wonder, is it God that's evil? Or, the people that say they're speaking for God?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I took a quick look and it sounds like the "Lord" spoke directly to Joshua and in several villages God told him to kill all the inhabitants. If that is what a kind and merciful and loving God does, I glad there isn't an evil god running around out there in the spirit world. If there was, he could disguise himself as the good, real God and probably trick a lot of people into doing a lot of nasty things.

But isn't it funny, we make laws to curb unusual behavior. We kind of know what is right and wrong, what is just and unjust, in spite of what our different religions tell us. Because, some of our laws are made to protect us from them, the over "enthusiastic" religious people and their gods and their leaders. So I wonder, is it God that's evil? Or, the people that say they're speaking for God?

Indeed! That is why I always say be Spiritual, not religious.

Most religious DOGMA has a lot of crap it in - because it is written by man, not any God.

cottage

That was true. When you suggest dishonesty that requires access to my motivation. You can know I was mistaken, you cannot know I was lying. In this case I was neither. When Christians use the terms all-merciful it is not in the sense you were. It took me a bit to see you were using a technical literal sense to these terms and basing an entire argument on that. At that point I thought that if it was in the bible I was going to have to deal with it as you were using it. I found it not to be so the whole argument crumbled. There was no dishonesty. I thought you meant it as we mean it. That God is a merciful being that usually grants benevolence far beyond what is deserved and possesses forgiveness beyond our capacity to even grasp.

I’m disappointed by that rather slippery and totally unconvincing reply, with its qualification, obfuscation and vagueness, especially that last sentence. A poor argument.

And “all merciful” is not a “technical term”. We both know that in plain English it means very simply to be inclusive and merciful to all, i.e.the whole quantity or the whole, as I’ve made perfectly clear from the outset.

Since every single argument you have made or apparently even discuss is some hyper-liter technicality based on semantics I should have known better but I honestly did not.

In fact it is you who have twisted and turned in seeking a semantic escape route, even presuming to challenge the very meaning of the qualifier “All” as in “All merciful”.

Here is that statement of yours:

“Do you or anyone even know what all merciful means? It certainly does not mean that every action he takes is the most merciful possible? What does that even mean? Merciful for who God, me, creation, certain groups?”

The Bible describes God as a being that forgives beyond what is merited in general, not one that always forgives and is always a fuzzy Teddy bear. There exists no contradiction there. There is no argument there.

But why then have you been arguing that God is ALL merciful? (!)