• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why does society value human life so much?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
society values human life above all else............why?
Does it?
What about all the technologies of killing available to the military?
If society valued life above all else I don't believe the machine gun would have been such a roaring success.

iholdit

Does it?
If society valued life above all else I don't believe the machine gun would have been such a roaring success.

I agree. Not to mention pcbs, dioxin, agent orange, ddt, the fact that genetically modified are not being thoroughly tested before being grown outdoors and put in peoples food(All of those were caused by monsanto).

I think society values money above human life in these and other instances. Although it is not all of society that does this.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
society values human life above all else............why?
First reaction. :facepalm:

I don't know about the rest of you. but I love my life and consider myself one of the most valuable men alive. I've been investing my best resources in education and training. and official bodies have invested their best resources in order to educate and train me and my generation. I feel good. and I love feeling good. I value that. and I value my humanity, my unending sense of humour, my unending morbid curiosity, my ability to walk a hundred KM in order to get a view of a geological landscape. I value all that. call me weird.

Last edited:

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
A combination of things I think. Religion is a major one in this, since most religions teach humans are somehow "special". The human ego is another. The ego tends to elevate humans.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
I agree with Caldan in that humans naturally value other human lives through social development, that is by living in large communities. I believe us being self-aware beings, give value to others because all of us experience universal reactions to the world: pain, pleasure etc

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Ironically, if these religions are right about their god (s), god doesn't value human life nearly as much as the religions do.

Does it?

yes, i think it does value life above all else...........you ask what about military technologies for killing...........what about them?, whats your point?

I agree. Not to mention pcbs, dioxin, agent orange, ddt, the fact that genetically modified are not being thoroughly tested before being grown outdoors and put in peoples food(All of those were caused by monsanto).

I think society values money above human life in these and other instances. Although it is not all of society that does this.

because there are countless ways to kill a human being that a society posess, does not mean it does not hold human life of more value than anything else.

iholdit

because there are countless ways to kill a human being that a society posess, does not mean it does not hold human life of more value than anything else.

It depends on the person or groups of people within that society. There are plenty of people who dont care about their own life and/or the life of others. As i said there are plenty of people in various industries who have no problem intentionally selling poison if it makes them a profit. There are plenty of politicians who endorse these companies in exchange for campaign contributions etc.

The are racists who will kill other people and call it ethnic cleansing. They value their racist beliefs more than human life.

Many people in society value money or their beliefs etc. more than human life, so i dont think its reasonable to say societies or members of those societies always value human life more than money or their beliefs etc.

It depends on the person or groups of people within that society. There are plenty of people who dont care about their own life and/or the life of others. As i said there are plenty of people in various industries who have no problem intentionally selling poison if it makes them a profit. There are plenty of politicians who endorse these companies in exchange for campaign contributions etc.

The are racists who will kill other people and call it ethnic cleansing. They value their racist beliefs more than human life.

Many people in society value money or their beliefs etc. more than human life, so i dont think its reasonable to say societies or members of those societies always value human life more than money or their beliefs etc.

the constitution says it values life above all things. just because some individuals do not value life does not allow those individuals to speak for societies convictions.
get back on track........the question is why does society value life? not, why do individuals not value life.

iholdit

the constitution says it values life above all things. just because some individuals do not value life does not allow those individuals to speak for societies convictions.
get back on track........the question is why does society value life? not, why do individuals not value life.

Not everything in the constitution is upheld and not every country has the same constitution as the u.s.

Did german society value the life of the jews during ww2?

Not everything in the constitution is upheld and not every country has the same constitution as the u.s.

Did german society value the life of the jews during ww2?

you make your reasoning, but you need to make your point to finish frameing your argument.